The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

i've applied to warwick, exeter, nottingham, birmingham, oxford...
just got offers from warwick and exeter, both 3As :biggrin:

anyone else?
Original post by ravenhadley1617555
i've applied to warwick, exeter, nottingham, birmingham, oxford...
just got offers from warwick and exeter, both 3As :biggrin:

anyone else?

I've gotten an offer from Exeter, but still waiting to hear from RHUL. -_-
Reply 322
i've already visited manchester the city like 100 times since i go to watch united and i've seen the uni twice so not going to the open day as it's 4th choice and I live overseas (guernsey) so i'm going to go to my first choice ones if i get in. Already visited the unis i applied to in the summer anyway so i know what they're like.
Hey guys, how many of you have psychology-related work experience which you put into your PS? I was meant to do mine this half term, but that failed so now I'm quite conscious of not having any... :frown:
Reply 324
Original post by ladyinvgoue
Hey guys, how many of you have psychology-related work experience which you put into your PS? I was meant to do mine this half term, but that failed so now I'm quite conscious of not having any... :frown:

I don't really have any.... but i did work experience with a barrister (our school makes it compulsory and I was running out of options) and I got to read a psychological report of a defendant, so I put that in by personal statement as i'm interested in forensic psychologist. I also saw a judge force a not guilty verdict due to 2 pieces of conflicting eyewitness reports. I didn't put that in my PS but 2 of my choices interview so if they ask about that i'll talk about accuracy of eyewitness testimony and such...

MOST people will not have w/e directly related to psychology simply due to the highly confidential nature of their work, and universities will appreciate this. I asked my mum's cousin who is a forensic psychologist for w/e but she said she wouldn't let me near the peodophiles...lol. Did you do any w/e? if so, just try and see if there is anything you could relate to psychology... such as if you worked in a primary school or something...

Cardiff said at their open day that they don't take too much notice of w/e as different people have different opportunities. Manchester just don't care. Wawrick told me that the PS comes bottom of the list in terms of admissions. and somebody I know got into exeter for psychology with a medicine personal statement.... so don't worry too much about it XD
Original post by ladyinvgoue

W/E is very difficult to get in psychology due to confidentiality. W/E only really matters for vocational courses like medicine and teaching :smile:
Original post by yaymeg
I don't really have any.... but i did work experience with a barrister (our school makes it compulsory and I was running out of options) and I got to read a psychological report of a defendant, so I put that in by personal statement as i'm interested in forensic psychologist. I also saw a judge force a not guilty verdict due to 2 pieces of conflicting eyewitness reports. I didn't put that in my PS but 2 of my choices interview so if they ask about that i'll talk about accuracy of eyewitness testimony and such...

MOST people will not have w/e directly related to psychology simply due to the highly confidential nature of their work, and universities will appreciate this. I asked my mum's cousin who is a forensic psychologist for w/e but she said she wouldn't let me near the peodophiles...lol. Did you do any w/e? if so, just try and see if there is anything you could relate to psychology... such as if you worked in a primary school or something...

Cardiff said at their open day that they don't take too much notice of w/e as different people have different opportunities. Manchester just don't care. Wawrick told me that the PS comes bottom of the list in terms of admissions. and somebody I know got into exeter for psychology with a medicine personal statement.... so don't worry too much about it XD

THAT SOUNDS SO INTERESTING! sorry, I was to be a forensic psychologist so it's dead cool that :')

I put about my work experience in a pre-school and linked it to developmental psychology but other than that I had nothing tbh
I am sending my ucas off this friday and I am definately applying for Bath. But I am stuck between the other choices: UCL, Warwick, Durham, York, Exeter, Sussex (mainly for the year abroad to America), Nottingham and Sheffield :/
I really feel the 4 year courses or the year abroad are slightly better, especially with the Year Abroad because I've always wanted to study in another country (but it's uncommon with Psychology), but I also to apply to the more reputed University with more graduate prospects. I am predicted A*A*AA, can someone please try and help me choose :P
Original post by TrampingRampage
I am sending my ucas off this friday and I am definately applying for Bath. But I am stuck between the other choices: UCL, Warwick, Durham, York, Exeter, Sussex (mainly for the year abroad to America), Nottingham and Sheffield :/
I really feel the 4 year courses or the year abroad are slightly better, especially with the Year Abroad because I've always wanted to study in another country (but it's uncommon with Psychology), but I also to apply to the more reputed University with more graduate prospects. I am predicted A*A*AA, can someone please try and help me choose :P

Definitely UCL. Can I ask why Bath? Is it because the placement? Looking at the statistics, the satisfaction rate isn't very high :\

Hi :smile:
I am predicted A*A*A* and have applied for Psychology at Oxford, Bath, Lancaster, Kent and Keele. A year abroad or in industry was very important to me too and I visited quite a few of the universities you mentioned. Have you visited them all? I could just tell when I did...
I just didnt like feel of UCL or Durham but they both offer great psychology courses and it was more about not feeling at home at either of them. Bath on the other hand i loved!

I don't know what the offer are like from all of the unis you have listed but just wondering if you have a back up uni there? One with with lower entry. Keeles typical offer is ABB but they offered me BBC last week and allow you to study abroad AND do a year in industry all in a 4 year course :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Just recieved an offer from Warwick for Psychology (BSc) - making it my second, having recieved one from Portsmouth on 14 October. Neither are where I'm hoping to go, it's just weird that I'm getting these ones before the others.

Out of interest, had anyone heard back from Bath, Bristol or York yet? I'd be over the moon with an offer from any of these.
Original post by punctuation
Definitely UCL. Can I ask why Bath? Is it because the placement? Looking at the statistics, the satisfaction rate isn't very high :\

Yeah the Bath one was because of the placement :smile: To be honest, I am not really bothered about the satisfaction rate because they can be unreliable. I am more concerned about the reputation of the University and the job prospects because that's what (mostly) matters at the end. That's not to say I wouldn't want to feel at home at a Uni :P, but I don't think the student satisfaction rates are done completely true if you understand me :P UCL is A*AA as well though and appears very difficult to get in. Also my sister is studying there doing Psychology as well (something weird about studying at the same uni at the same course :P )

Original post by xcatherinex
Hi :smile:
I am predicted A*A*A* and have applied for Psychology at Oxford, Bath, Lancaster, Kent and Keele. A year abroad or in industry was very important to me too and I visited quite a few of the universities you mentioned. Have you visited them all? I could just tell when I did...
I just didnt like feel of UCL or Durham but they both offer great psychology courses and it was more about not feeling at home at either of them. Bath on the other hand i loved!

I have only visited UCL and Sheffield (Open days are so expensive to go to with all those train prices! :P) But I didn't really have a big feel for either of them. They weren't bad, just not brilliant either. How did you find Durham? Do all the Universities you apply to apart from Oxford have a year abroad/year in the industry then? I was thinking about Lancaster as well (just forgot to mention it) :P
Original post by punctuation

Bath actually got great satisfaction ratings this year..
The year before they where dreadful which concerned me alot but they have improved vastly (70% jumped to 93%). This suggests they took notice of the stats and put alot of work in.

What year are you looking at?

:smile:
Reply 333

I'd be wary of applying for UCL just like that unless you've visited and like London enough (and considering the costs).

I'd go for Warwick. Fantastic Russell Group university.
I have only visited UCL and Sheffield (Open days are so expensive to go to with all those train prices! :P) But I didn't really have a big feel for either of them. They weren't bad, just not brilliant either. How did you find Durham? Do all the Universities you apply to apart from Oxford have a year abroad/year in the industry then? I was thinking about Lancaster as well (just forgot to mention it) :P

I agree about expenses, I have been getting trains all over the country. I got 8 trains in one day to get to Durham and back!! At Durham I looked at applied psychology which isnt based in Durham City, it is at Queens campus which I didnt like the feel of. It was far too small and over 10 miles from most of the other departments. I felt like sporting and social activities would be very limited. But to be fair, the department staff were by far the friendliest and most helpful I have met...

All of my choice do one or the other or both, except for Lancaster but that is because I have applied for Psychology in education which is ultra specific so limits your options with a year out. I liked the place alot though - nice feel and great town house accomodation <3 I admit though that I may be slightly drawn to the fact it is close enough for me to come home at weekend for Liverpool matches!
Original post by fnm
I'd be wary of applying for UCL just like that unless you've visited and like London enough (and considering the costs).

I'd go for Warwick. Fantastic Russell Group university.

I've been to UCL because my sister goes there and it's quite good. I love London as a whole but I do understand the costs to be extremely expensive especially with in the year we're applying as well. This is what was putting me off UCL, even though it is ranked very highly for Psychology.

The thing with Warwick is although it it a good university, I am just too close to it :/ I currently live in Coventry and pretty much pass it all the time :P. It's not bad but I really want to get out of Coventry xD. However, going Warwick can save a chuck load of money considering I could just go home in my 2nd year or something, which is not something I would want to do though :P Also I don't think it is that brilliant for Psychology either.

Speaking of which, I've seen your posts before about Bristol which is another Uni I am thinking of. You've been before, what's it like there?
Reply 336
I've been to UCL because my sister goes there and it's quite good. I love London as a whole but I do understand the costs to be extremely expensive especially with in the year we're applying as well. This is what was putting me off UCL, even though it is ranked very highly for Psychology.

The thing with Warwick is although it it a good university, I am just too close to it :/ I currently live in Coventry and pretty much pass it all the time :P. It's not bad but I really want to get out of Coventry xD. However, going Warwick can save a chuck load of money considering I could just go home in my 2nd year or something, which is not something I would want to do though :P Also I don't think it is that brilliant for Psychology either.

Speaking of which, I've seen your posts before about Bristol which is another Uni I am thinking of. You've been before, what's it like there?

I know Bristol is a very well respected uni, and great for psychology. The city itself appears to have attract different opinions. Overall, I am not a massive fan when compared to some other big cities but that's just me. I've lived not too far from it, so I guess that may have and impact.

However, the thing about Bristol Uni itself, was when I was applying, it seemed to not have very good satisfaction rates at all,and I heard about student complaints (google all this) which really put me off, and it was worse when I heard about it being quite snobby (entirely subjective). Whether it's still 'like this' or whether it ever really was, I don't know. But that and the place to me stopped me from applying there. I know a girl on here (when I used to post on the results day thread earlier this year:biggrin:) went to Bristol to do psy, she seemed pretty cool, maybe it's best asking her. I think her name was Phoeebs or something lol.

So, yeah....tbh I don't know really that much at all about it in any detail relating to psy...sorry
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yaymeg

Woah woah woah... If Warwick puts the PS at the bottom of the list then bye-bye offer from there, for my PS, I think, maaaay be a little bit stronger than my academics... :s-smilie: But good to know anyway, so thanks :wink: I did work experience at a fashion magazine, and before that a couple of weeks in a marketing department at a school. Well done for linking your w.e. with psychology, that was very smart! So where have you applied/got offers? :smile:
Reply 338
I have an offer from Warwick to study Psychology in 2012 :smile:

My other choices are St Andrews, Durham, UCL and Oxford.
eckk, I just found out leeds does a year out in industry, now I'm not sure if I want to go there or birimingham :frown:

Quick Reply