The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Thanks! Hope you enjoy your first year! :biggrin:
Original post by iammichealjackson
St Andrews... lawl. I went their and hated it straight away. Oxbridge people ive spoken to are actually all really nice, not snobby at all. People i know with offers their are all good too, even though Oxford has really high private school intake really smart people tend to be quite nice actually from who i know! St Andrews is probably worse for snobbyness, maybe because its so isolated or Prince William went their I don't know.

St Andrews isn't as snobby as some people make out. Yeah, there are some snobby people with posh accents but most of them are nice and will talk to anyone.

Anyway, good luck to all you keen folk! :smile:
Do you think it would be wise to mention books on statistics in the PS, or stick to the main subject of 'psychology'?
Original post by punctuation
Do you think it would be wise to mention books on statistics in the PS, or stick to the main subject of 'psychology'?

I'd stick to another aspect of psych (eg. developmental, social, memory, neuroscience, etc). Obviously stats are an important part of psychology and it would be fine to mention that, but I think it would be better to do the latter.
Original post by Ecosse_14
I'd stick to another aspect of psych (eg. developmental, social, memory, neuroscience, etc). Obviously stats are an important part of psychology and it would be fine to mention that, but I think it would be better to do the latter.

Okay, thanks.

Should I mention that I've taken biology?
Okay, thanks.

Should I mention that I've taken biology?

Only mention it IF you're going to say how you can apply what you learned to psychology/if you found particular aspects of it interesting that is related to psychology.
Original post by Ecosse_14
Only mention it IF you're going to say how you can apply what you learned to psychology/if you found particular aspects of it interesting that is related to psychology.

Okay. I'll probably end up leaving it out since the unis will be able to see my modules and I don't have much space in my PS. Thanks.
Reply 87
Another Psychology applicant here.

How is everyone's personal statement going? And good luck everyone, hope you get into the uni you want.
Original post by Luke17
Another Psychology applicant here.

How is everyone's personal statement going? And good luck everyone, hope you get into the uni you want.

I've written about 3000 characters but I'm at a stalemate since I'm waiting for some books on psychology to come in before I keep writing.

You?
Reply 89
I've written about 3000 characters but I'm at a stalemate since I'm waiting for some books on psychology to come in before I keep writing.

You?

I've written 2000 characters but I'm taking it slow for the minute. Most people I know haven't even started their PS.
Original post by Luke17
I've written 2000 characters but I'm taking it slow for the minute. Most people I know haven't even started their PS.

Most people end up doing it panicked up to the deadline when it clashes with history coursework, anyway now is a tad earlier than usual. I'd say first full draft done during the summer is good.
Ah, it's alright. I think only those who have October deadlines really need to start this early. Otherwise it's best to read widely around your subject BEFORE starting. :biggrin:
I got 4 out of 5 offers for psychology this year (damn you RHUL :angry:), happy to help anyone with any questions they might have!
Original post by sunlightxstarbright
I got 4 out of 5 offers for psychology this year (damn you RHUL :angry:), happy to help anyone with any questions they might have!

Oh, I'll be applying to RHUL... D: Which others did you apply for? :K:
Oh, I'll be applying to RHUL... D: Which others did you apply for? :K:

I wouldn't worry, mine was just a combination of only just having the predicted grades (AAB at A-Level) and them having a massive spike in rankings meaning lots of people applied. I'm sure you'll do better providing you've got the right grades. I also applied for Bath Spa, Plymouth, Kent and Surrey. BBC, BBB, AAB and ABB respectively. Which are you thinking of applying to?
I wouldn't worry, mine was just a combination of only just having the predicted grades (AAB at A-Level) and them having a massive spike in rankings meaning lots of people applied. I'm sure you'll do better providing you've got the right grades. I also applied for Bath Spa, Plymouth, Kent and Surrey. BBC, BBB, AAB and ABB respectively. Which are you thinking of applying to?

Oh I see. :yes: Hopefully the rise in tuition fees means less competition this year.

I'll be applying for RHUL as I've said, UCL, Oxford... then originally I was going to put Bristol and York but I'm having second thoughts. I'm really not fond of those two universities as a whole, and the cities are a bit off where I'd like to be as an international applicant. As well, the course offerings for Bristol at least is a bit too stats/bio based for me...

Do you have any suggestions? People have recommended Surrey to me but I don't like the look of the uni much. :frown:
Oh I see. :yes: Hopefully the rise in tuition fees means less competition this year.

I'll be applying for RHUL as I've said, UCL, Oxford... then originally I was going to put Bristol and York but I'm having second thoughts. I'm really not fond of those two universities as a whole, and the cities are a bit off where I'd like to be as an international applicant. As well, the course offerings for Bristol at least is a bit too stats/bio based for me...

Do you have any suggestions? People have recommended Surrey to me but I don't like the look of the uni much. :frown:

Bristol is extremely competitive and is known for slightly random decisions - a girl I know recieved offers from 4 top 10 universities and a rejection from Bristol :lolwut: I'd definitely advise you to pick at least one 'safer' option, though, such as somewhere like Birmingham or Manchester. If your grades are high enough for Oxford then it's not so much of a worry but just to be on the safe side. Only time will tell though how the fees do affect it!

I liked Surrey on the open day, though do bear in mind it contains a non-optional placement year. It has a lot of international students, also, and it's a campus so things tend to feel slightly like a bubble, but then most of your universities are campus based. I'd definitely advise one university of a slightly lower grade requirement just in case, Psychology is competitive even at lower universities.
x

I'll avoid Bristol then... not that fond of it anyway. :/

How is Nottingham's psychology program? I looked at the Guardian tables and it's high enough to please me and I like the look of it a lot. :smile: It asks for AAB, like RHUL I think.

(For some reason its psych + cognitive neurosci asks for ABB :K:)

Are most/all of the straight psych courses accredited by the BPS?
I'll avoid Bristol then... not that fond of it anyway. :/

How is Nottingham's psychology program? I looked at the Guardian tables and it's high enough to please me and I like the look of it a lot. :smile: It asks for AAB, like RHUL I think.

(For some reason its psych + cognitive neurosci asks for ABB :K:)

Are most/all of the straight psych courses accredited by the BPS?

From what I've heard of Nottingham it's a great university, I don't know much of the psych course though. The area is apparently a bit less than desirable, but I guess that's all down to personal opinion :smile: As a tip, if you don't like the biology aspect of Bristol then neuroscience isn't that likely to be your thing, they're quite similar. Most of them will be, they'll say on the website if they are. It's important to get one that is.
From what I've heard of Nottingham it's a great university, I don't know much of the psych course though. The area is apparently a bit less than desirable, but I guess that's all down to personal opinion :smile: As a tip, if you don't like the biology aspect of Bristol then neuroscience isn't that likely to be your thing, they're quite similar. Most of them will be, they'll say on the website if they are. It's important to get one that is.

I see. I'll think about applying to that and Surrey instead then! Thanks for the advice. :biggrin:

Oh and I know, I just thought it was a bit weird that a course that sounded more difficult needed lower grades. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest