OCR A2 Philosophy-Revelation and Holy Scripture Watch

Trumpet1trousers
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, just been revising holy scripture and revelation from the OCR text book, it seems quite a short chapter compared to the others and just wondering if anyone knew of any useful sites with additional reading for this topic on?

Thanks
Clareicles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You should be aware that Revelation and Holy Scripture can be linked to religious experience - and miracles and thus it isn't so short on its own!

January 2011 had a question on: To what extent can God reveal himself through sacred writings

The examiner expected:

Some candidates may begin by the exploring the extent to which scripture can be seen as ‘the word of God’. Obviously they can use any of the scriptures they have studied, the key question is: are they the words of humanity or of a divinity?
Many candidates will use their knowledge of propositional and non-propositional views on faith and scripture. A propositional belief on the content of faith is a series of truths, or a set of propositions, revealed by God. Faith then is a matter of assent to those truths.
Non-propositional views, as the name implies, argue that the content of revelation is not a series of truths, or propositions, which God as taught humanity, but rather the self-revelation of God. God reveals himself and humanity responds in faith.
Some candidates may point out that the propositional approach can be seen as ‘Belief that…such and such a proposition is true, whereas non-propositional faith is Belief in…’

In their evaluation candidates are likely to build on whichever approach they have taken when explaining what revelation through scripture is all about; if, for example, they have taken a direct approach through liberalist and fundamentalist approaches they may assess the extent to which those who believe that God speaks to us directly through scripture have any evidence or justification for this belief. They may then evaluate whether not a more liberal approach is any more or less successful.
If candidates the question through propositional and non-propositional approaches they may assess the extent to which these beliefs speak to faith but not a direct contact to a God.

Does this help??

There isn't anything beyond the textbook that you *need* really. Background reading isn't a bad thing - but you've left it rather late to do this effectively!

All the best,

Clareicles
Trumpet1trousers
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks very much, that's useful
Yes I realise it's rather late for additional reading. I've been able to do additional reading for my other topics but the additional reading books I have didn't contain any information on Revelation & Holy Scripture, but I will just use what's in the book.

thanks again
mattzakk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think a question on scripture is not particularly likelt for this paper (on its owb). As the last post said, checking it in context with others would be of some value - be aware that you may get an opportunity to compare/contrast scripture with another form of experinece. A popular phrasing is: "To what extent is religious experience the best way to understand God". Note the word BEST - gives an opportunity for comparison, and if you don't pick up on it then toy can get marked down anyhow
Ailish T
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Here is a website which you have to sign up for but it can help you revise, by providing you with information and revision cards Ive been using it for Sociology but I searched A2 Philosophy and a few results popped up which you might like to use.
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/s.../A2+philosophy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads