The Student Room Group

Am I being snobby?

Hi guys, would appreciate some honest answers here!

I've applied for 5 universities for Sociology:
Newcastle- BBB
Warwick- BBB
Leeds- BBB
Durham -ABB (+general studies)
Sheffield Hallam- CCD

I haven't picked my firm or insurance yet and I have to do this by the 5th of May. It's causing some heated arguments in my house because I've the only person to ever go to university in my family ever.

Basically I really like Warwick, and would love to firm that. But I'm stuck for my insurance. My parents think I should have Sheffield Hallam for my insurance because they don't think I'll get the grades to put Durham as my insurance.

However, since visiting Durham and Warwick I've really fallen in love with them, and out of love with Sheffield Hallam. I don't really want to go there anymore. :/

My parents firmly believe that a degree means more than no degree, and it doesn't matter where you get it from and then said I was being snobby about the uni.

I don't really know what to do. It's likely that I might miss the grades by one (BBC) instead of BBB, but if I were to get an A in another grade, eg. general studies then I would be able to go to Durham.

Should I put Sheffield Hallam as my insurance, and then if I miss the grades for Warwick but still have the grades to get to Durham, then reject offers an go to clearing? :/

Scroll to see replies

No, you aren't being snobby. I'd rather go to no University than a low rated one, or one I didn't like, and I'm far from a snob.

Edit: looks like someone has gone to a duff, low rate "Uni" and realises it was a mistake!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by baffled_mathman
No, you aren't being snobby. I'd rather go to no University than a low rated one, or one I didn't like, and I'm far from a snob.

When I went there I liked the look of the uni, but I've never seen the course or even a prospectus. I said the same thing to my parents but I'll admit even when I said it I felt a little snobby. I just don't know what to do? :confused:
It's not being snobby as long as you're not basing your dislike on snobby reasons.

If you do that (Hallam as insurance plan), you'll have to be released on results day, which can take some time. In addition, Durham may not (and likely will not) accept you through Clearing, as they're likely to be full themselves. In summary: it's a theoretical possibility, but not one I would like to plan on.
It depends what grades you realistically think you will achieve. If it's ABB or higher then personally I'd put Durham. If it's BBB then I'd put one of Leeds or Newcastle. If you genuinely think you won't get BBB or higher, then put Sheffield. However, if you really wouldn't want to go there then I wouldn't put it down.

For your firm, if you're putting Warwick... If you don't meet the offer for Warwick you won't meet the offer for Durham anyway? Unless you want to put Durham as your firm and Warwick as you're insurance?
(edited 12 years ago)
On the snobbery thing - I agree with you but I think your parents are just trying to be sensible with a plan B if you don't get your BBB for Warwick.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
My firm and insurance are both BBB, there's nothing wrong with putting 2 unis with the same grades. You never know, if you miss a grade one of them might still accept you.
Deffo not snobby, hard decision though :/ *hugs*
Reply 8
Just wondering, how come these top uni's are giving you low offers?
Reply 9
I'm confused. If you fail warwicks offer surely you also fail durhams offers?
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
For your firm, if you're putting Warwick... If you don't meet the offer for Warwick you won't meet the offer for Durham anyway?

Original post by Fat-Love
I'm confused. If you fail warwicks offer surely you also fail durhams offers?

Not necessarily...

If OP gets ABBC with the A in general studies, the Warwick offer is unfulfilled (BBB excluding general studies), but the Durham one has been achieved (ABB including general studies.)
Reply 11
Original post by mrdoovde1
Just wondering, how come these top uni's are giving you low offers?

Because even "top ten" universities give BBB offers. Typical offers are a sign of demand and sociology isn't a particularly popular subject.
the whole world would be called snobby for pursuing higher goals then.
its u going to uni! the decision is yours
(yes although the money is theirs)
but hell yea, follow your heart or you'll regret

Me too put bristol before Warwick
with warwick having a higher requirement.
As long as you are confident in meeting the grades its not to be feared!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Hazular
My firm and insurance are both BBB, there's nothing wrong with putting 2 unis with the same grades. You never know, if you miss a grade one of them might still accept you.

... or they might not, because they've already filled all their places and they're under no obligation to take you after you've missed your offer.:erm: That's what's wrong with choosing two universities asking for the same grades: you're risking instant rejection from both your choices if something goes wrong and you miss your grades.
some of my friends who missed their offers by one or two grades got in after calling the uni directly. you may be able to do so as well.
Original post by River85
Because even "top ten" universities give BBB offers. Typical offers are a sign of demand and sociology isn't a particularly popular subject.

It is funny how Britain fell out of love with sociology. From the 60s onwards this was the most fashionable of non-traditional courses, attracting thousands to read it. Oxford used to emphasise the amount of sociology it was possible to do on the PPE course.

But fashions change; media and psychology become the thing and sociology become like a gentleman's cardigan or spats.
Original post by qwerty7
Hi guys, would appreciate some honest answers here!

I've applied for 5 universities for Sociology:
Newcastle- BBB
Warwick- BBB
Leeds- BBB
Durham -ABB (+general studies)
Sheffield Hallam- CCD

I haven't picked my firm or insurance yet and I have to do this by the 5th of May. It's causing some heated arguments in my house because I've the only person to ever go to university in my family ever.

Basically I really like Warwick, and would love to firm that. But I'm stuck for my insurance. My parents think I should have Sheffield Hallam for my insurance because they don't think I'll get the grades to put Durham as my insurance.

However, since visiting Durham and Warwick I've really fallen in love with them, and out of love with Sheffield Hallam. I don't really want to go there anymore. :/

My parents firmly believe that a degree means more than no degree, and it doesn't matter where you get it from and then said I was being snobby about the uni.

I don't really know what to do. It's likely that I might miss the grades by one (BBC) instead of BBB, but if I were to get an A in another grade, eg. general studies then I would be able to go to Durham.

Should I put Sheffield Hallam as my insurance, and then if I miss the grades for Warwick but still have the grades to get to Durham, then reject offers an go to clearing? :/

You haven't said what you don't like about Sheffield Hallam. There will almost certainly be places of comparable academic standard but different ambiance to Hallam available in clearing.
Reply 17
If you miss the grade by a small amount they may let you in anyway, if you were given an interview, how well you did at this will help determine whether they do this or not.

I was in the same situation, I've put Manchester as my firm and LJMU as my insurance, I can assure you that I have no intentions of going to LJMU, however all my other offers required the same grades as Manchester so I saw it as an "A uni is better than no uni" situation as if I miseed the grades for one, I've missed the grades for the rest :/

Personally I see it as another reason to try even harder at my studies to insure I get my firm :smile:
Picking a uni you like above one you don't is not snobby...geez im younger than you and I knew that :facepalm:
Reply 19
Ultimately, it's your life and you'll be the one spending 3+ years there! Of course, take your parents views into consideration - they obviously only want the best for you - but don't make the decision FOR them, make it for you. I got 4 offers (3 AAA, 1 AAB and 1 ABB) perhaps it would have been sensible to firm an AAA and insure the ABB but I insured AAB instead because I liked the look of it better and I would honestly reapply then go somewhere I'll end up hating for 3 years of my life!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending