fine art at a competitive university..? Watch

alixjonez
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
i decided to write here because i've been reading other posts about applying to universities to study fine art. I am passionate about art and always have been, and i've decided that it is definitely what i want to do for the rest of my life. ideally i would love to go to a well renowned university in london ( i love london and feel it would be the best atmosphere to study art) such as the slade at UCL, or one of the London college's of Art schools.. but i know how competitive these are, and i'm really worried that i won't be able to achieve this dream :/ there's some main problems really which i'll outline, and hopefully someone who knows more about this can give me advice...
Firstly - academically, i am not sure whether i will be considered for my first choice (the slade).Although I have a fairly strong GCSE background (3 A*'s including art, 4 A's, 4B's), i have had a tough first year at sixth form and suffered with health problems, which resulted in me only taking 2 a/s levels - Art and Art History. For my second year I aim to get back on track academically and complete a one-year a-level in business studies so that i gain three a-levels instead of just two. I'll also be doing an a/s level in sculpture alongside. What i'm worried about is that i won't be considered because of this... I hope that my predicted grades to apply with will be AAB, is this high enough for my portfolio to be considered for a competitive fine art course? How relevant are grades? Or is it mainly based on portfolio?
The second thing is, I'm desperate to get into uni straight from a -levels - either for a foundation or, preferrably, a degree programme... However i'm not that well off, and although a foundation would be free as I will be under 19 when it commenes, it is a further education course and therefore i am worried that I won't be able to get any financial help with accomodation costs... has anyone had the same problem? Do the london colleges of Arts give financial help to foundation students?
I know this is a long post but thankyou for taking the time to read it , and thankyou in advance for any help :-) xx
SquarePegRoundHole
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alixjonez)
i decided to write here because i've been reading other posts about applying to universities to study fine art. I am passionate about art and always have been, and i've decided that it is definitely what i want to do for the rest of my life. ideally i would love to go to a well renowned university in london ( i love london and feel it would be the best atmosphere to study art) such as the slade at UCL, or one of the London college's of Art schools.. but i know how competitive these are, and i'm really worried that i won't be able to achieve this dream :/ there's some main problems really which i'll outline, and hopefully someone who knows more about this can give me advice...
Firstly - academically, i am not sure whether i will be considered for my first choice (the slade).Although I have a fairly strong GCSE background (3 A*'s including art, 4 A's, 4B's), i have had a tough first year at sixth form and suffered with health problems, which resulted in me only taking 2 a/s levels - Art and Art History. For my second year I aim to get back on track academically and complete a one-year a-level in business studies so that i gain three a-levels instead of just two. I'll also be doing an a/s level in sculpture alongside. What i'm worried about is that i won't be considered because of this... I hope that my predicted grades to apply with will be AAB, is this high enough for my portfolio to be considered for a competitive fine art course? How relevant are grades? Or is it mainly based on portfolio?
The second thing is, I'm desperate to get into uni straight from a -levels - either for a foundation or, preferrably, a degree programme... However i'm not that well off, and although a foundation would be free as I will be under 19 when it commenes, it is a further education course and therefore i am worried that I won't be able to get any financial help with accomodation costs... has anyone had the same problem? Do the london colleges of Arts give financial help to foundation students?
I know this is a long post but thankyou for taking the time to read it , and thankyou in advance for any help :-) xx
Hi, I felt you deserved some sort of reply. I have written one but am supplying as an attachment (pdf) as there was too much text to insert here. Feel free to bin it Good luck.
Attached files
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alixjonez)

I think you should go to a Art college, where your portfolio matters and not your grades as its art.... my mate got in with c's and d's
alixjonez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by SquarePegRoundHole)
Hi, I felt you deserved some sort of reply. I have written one but am supplying as an attachment (pdf) as there was too much text to insert here. Feel free to bin it Good luck.
Thankyou so much for this, it really helped, I didn't expect an answer so i appreciate this so much!! Thankyou for taking the time to help me out :-D
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (189)
39.54%
No - but I will (28)
5.86%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.9%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.7%

Watched Threads