Why do you read fiction? Watch

Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What do you enjoy about it? And, converesely, to those who don't read fiction, what do you dislike about it?
zxh800
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To escape reality.
-honeybee-
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A combination of escapism and literary interest.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i dislike fiction because when i read a book i expect to be enlightened; i want to learn facts, philosophical/scientific ideas, theories that explain the world around me and how i can live within it. works of fiction cannot offer me that. i don't have the patience to read a 500 page novel about something i deem to be off little pertinence.
magnum.opus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I like to read stories that are more interesting than my boring life :lol:
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't dislike it, I just have better things to do.

I used to read a lot as a child, but hello internet.
Elbonian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
What do you enjoy about it? And, converesely, to those who don't read fiction, what do you dislike about it?
It's like watching a movie, only in greater detail but minus the visual entertainment. I also find I learn more from reading.
internetstephen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN)
i dislike fiction because when i read a book i expect to be enlightened; i want to learn facts, ideas, theories that explain the world around me and how i can live within it. works of fiction cannot offer me that.
Just because something's not factual doesn't mean the lessons/experiences can't be applied.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
i dislike fiction because when i read a book i expect to be enlightened; i want to learn facts, ideas, theories that explain the world around me and how i can live within it. works of fiction cannot offer me that.
But why must reading entail all that you mentioned (not that there isn't any overlap with fiction), it's like someone saying they only watch TV for fictional programming, because tv shouldn't entail factual programming,

Why don't you view reading fiction as a pleasurable past-time on a par with watching (fictional) films and tv shows, which I presume you do watch..?
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by internetstephen)
Just because something's not factual doesn't mean the lessons/experiences can't be applied.
i know, that's why i watch tv dramas, soaps or sitcoms in stead. when i want to learn something about anything i read politics, science or philosophy or history.
Paul McCartney
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by -honeybee-)
Exactly this.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
But why must reading entail all that you mentioned (not that there isn't any overlap with fiction), it's like someone saying they only watch TV for fictional programming, because tv shouldn't entail factual programming,

Why don't you view reading fiction as a pleasurable past-time on a par with watching (fictional) films and tv shows, which I presume you do watch..?
i'm not asserting that books should all be non-fiction; i'm justifying why i don't like non-fiction, which is the point of this thread. i don't find reading fiction pleasurable because when i want to escape into a fictional world i want to be visually stimulated; novels do not offer that.
gandhistoto
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
a very strange opinion coming from a username such as yours i guess visual entertainment is the key then
but i do agree with you that i prefer science, business or other factual books over fiction.

nevertheless, fiction does have its own charm of getting your imagination wild and pulling you away from reality
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gandhistoto)
a very strange opinion coming from a username such as yours i guess visual entertainment is the key then
but i do agree with you that i prefer science, business or other factual books over fiction.

nevertheless, fiction does have its own charm of getting your imagination wild and pulling you away from reality
oh you've spotted the irony.
Kolya
Report 7 years ago
i read fiction for the lulz.
pappu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To escape.
Rogercbinboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because I'm a right mong.
aeterno
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
I don't dislike it, I just have better things to do.

I used to read a lot as a child, but hello internet.
Intentional irony? :holmes:
james.h
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by -honeybee-)
This. :yep:
RoseRequiem
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What about works of fiction that give historical information - such as Sebastian Faulks' 'Birdsong'? I find that some books give a deeper insight as to what the world was like at a particular time, because they are told from the perspective of characters living at that time. Also, the authors put a lot of work into research, which gives some books that added credibility.

I personally read for escapism, as a lot of people have said, and for the intensity of emotions they offer!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads