No (59)
60.82%
The-Real-One
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
This will have two effects:

1)Reduce smoking overall, smoking is BAD, for the smoker and for everyone else around them. It's medically proven.

2)Reduce the % of undesirables smoking. If someone had to be smoking, I'd rather it was a classy lady like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffanys smoking, which is at least aethestically pleasing. Rather than some scummy charv lowlife blowing cancer towards passerbys.

Agree?
Greenlaner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How about you nanny culturalists instead go **** yourselves and leave us alone?
MathematicsKiller
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cigarette packets should cost OVER 9000 pounds.

(Original post by The-Real-One)
Rather than some scummy charv lowlife blowing cancer towards passerbys.
(Original post by Greenlaner)
How about you nanny culturalists instead go **** yourselves and leave us alone?
The-Real-One, you offended him...
Wick3d
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It should be banned outright.
Fat-Love
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So your saying you only want people to smoke if they're rich and beautiful because it's more pleasing to the eye. As a non-smoker I find you to be stupid simply put.
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree tbh.
The-Real-One
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fat-Love)
So your saying you only want people to smoke if they're rich and beautiful because it's more pleasing to the eye. As a non-smoker I find you to be stupid simply put.
It's not the main point. The point is, there are far fewer rich and beautiful people.
Swayum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why not £100? By the arguments given above, it make equally good sense to make it £100 as it does to make it £10.

(and if you agree with £100, then why not £1000? And so on)
street.lovin'
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well financial disincentive might help but considering the fact that smokers are 'addicted' to smoking, it might be hard. Might as well just ban it if you want to solve the problem.
canimakeit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Probably... but then there loads of pollutants in the air from cars etc...but then cigarettes are pretty self destructive.

(Non-smoker btw)
Greig_R
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cheeseburgers are bad for you should they be ridiculously overpriced?
Mr Disco
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. It's about time beautiful and rich folk were cut a break.
The-Real-One
Rep:
?
(Original post by Greig_R)
Cheeseburgers are bad for you should they be ridiculously overpriced?
Yes, they're bad for YOU; not other people.
Fat-Love
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The-Real-One)
It's not the main point. The point is, there are far fewer rich and beautiful people.
I live in south east london - 'charv' and scummy central. Very, very rarely does smoke waft towards me against my own will. Any harm done is usually done to the smoker's own bodies. If you want to stop it because of that you may as well start applying similar schemes to alcohol which i'm fairly sure have a much more destructive effect to the environment and you compared to passive smoking due to all the drunken brawls and fights etc. Not to mention the personal harm to your own body from drinking excessively.
Elbonian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think £10 is excessive. You're effectively hitting an industry that generates billions of pounds per year.

As far as health is concerned, I think it's sufficient that smoking is banned in many public areas. It doesn't bother me that people smoke. Afterall it's their democratic right. As long as I'm not in a room completely filled with cigarette smoke, I'm fine.
Elbonian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by street.lovin')
well financial disincentive might help but considering the fact that smokers are 'addicted' to smoking, it might be hard. Might as well just ban it if you want to solve the problem.
It'll just create an illegal industry if it were to be raised to £10 per pack.
Tommyjw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
Why not £100? By the arguments given above, it make equally good sense to make it £100 as it does to make it £10.

(and if you agree with £100, then why not £1000? And so on)
Because then it would just be pointless producing them in the first place.
MathematicsKiller
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think NHS treatment of the lungs for smokers should not be paid by the government.
tface
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People should be able to put what they want into their bodies. However, as it is proven that passive smoking ****s people up then I would be in support of a ban in public places. Tbh though, I don't give a ****!
mc1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. I would normally agree with this kind of thing, but unfortunately if you raise the minimum price on cigarettes, there will be many more people who compulsively pay far more money than they can afford - just to satisfy their addiction. It would simply push the most vulnerable members of society into increasing amounts of debt.

Maybe instead, try and enforce some way to limit the number of cigarettes any one person can legally buy over a given time period? Just an idea off the top of my head.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.4%
No - but I will (66)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (401)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise