Does a geography get any better at degree level? Watch

In_Infamy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm doing A level geography right now and I hate it. I don't hate the content - I find that really interesting. It's just all the memorising which the A level requires you to do. And then there's the "answer the command word" rubbish which means you have to answer the question in a certain way or you're barred from attaining a certain mark. I'm doing geography next year for university but now I'm starting to think that there's a good chance I'm going to change course or something.

So anyone care to enlighten?
whyumadtho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by In_Infamy)
I'm doing A level geography right now and I hate it. I don't hate the content - I find that really interesting. It's just all the memorising which the A level requires you to do. And then there's the "answer the command word" rubbish which means you have to answer the question in a certain way or you're barred from attaining a certain mark. I'm doing geography next year for university but now I'm starting to think that there's a good chance I'm going to change course or something.

So anyone care to enlighten?
In terms of human geography, it involves a lot of external reading and critical analysis to attain the highest marks, which should interest you. However, the likely compulsory physical geography course you have to do in the first year is still mainly a memory game but involves considerably more detail than what is given at A-Level.
Original Ralph
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im doing Geography at Oxford and I can tell you now that while there is still a hell of a lot to learn, memorising would not get you higher than a 2.2.

Theres much more to it such as formulating arguments, understanding key concepts, application to new scenarios etc. Infact, compared to A-level id say theres less memorisation although I havnt started revising yet..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.46%
No - but I will (38)
6.85%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.67%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (261)
47.03%

Watched Threads