Dissertation - can I move around? Watch

snowballer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I'm off to UEA, Exeter, or Cardiff for PG this fall. Doing a program in sustainable dev. or int dev and environ. The dissertation period begins in Spring 2012. I was just wondering if it was possible to work, travel, and/or do the dissertation in a different country? Seems like a lot of reading and writing that could be done anywhere.

Thanks
WaltzvWendt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It isn't usually a problem. As long as you make certain that the dissertation reaches its destination by airmail. Though the writing/reading would be much easier when you have easy access to the library and if the electronic resources rely on VPN access (which can be very unreliable when outside of campus).

The only time I can think of this being a complication is if you are a non-EU student, there will often be residency requirements as a condition of the receipt of government loans (if applicable) or any sort of legal repurcussions. There may also be a registration requirement in your university for postgraduate students to be resident in close proximity for a minimum amount of weeks; but think this applies mostly to non-EU and often it refers to term-time for EU/Home students. If in doubt, ask someone in your academic department.
tigermoth99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you don't have many meetings with your supervisor, should be okay.
LostRiot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah, i know people who have done thing like this. Fairly common, what with skype and things these days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
38.13%
No - but I will (5)
3.13%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (84)
52.5%

Watched Threads