The Student Room Group

POST HERE For Discussion About The DEATH OF OSAMA BIN LADEN (Updated)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who voted yes is so naive. Think about the effects of releasing pictures or burying him on land....
Personally, I think the world is a safer place with the long overdue instrumented killing of Osama Bin Laden, however, I feel that some people would object to such a matter, on the basis of the infringement of the "human rights" of the perpetrator, who commited some of the most heinous and evil crimes in recent history, instilled fear and hatred into millions, if not billions and has evaded capture several times from those bold enough to try and stop him.

It makes me interested to know the outlook of charities like Liberty headed by Shami Chakrabati, on this particular matter and whether they would act by principle and condemn the killing of this man, thereby forsaking the necessitated safety and assuaging of fears of the people of the world or make an exception, on the understanding that he was a bit of a dangerous psycho.

Meant to say Shami Chakrabati, sorry people
(edited 12 years ago)
Reeta Chakrabati would be unlikely to declare a public opinion (BBC Reporter) - it's Shami Chakrabati (director of Liberty) who might comment :P

(and no, they aren't related and yes I've made your mistake before)
Reply 2263
Original post by Antonia87
This is getting more dodgy by the day.

First he was armed, now they say he wasnt. First he used his wife as a shield and she was shot and killed, now they're saying he didnt use her as a shield and she is alive. First they say they killed him in self-defence, but his daughter says the soldiers held him for several minutes before killing him.

I mean how hard is it for 6 soldiers to get a story straight?

Way too much disinformation at the moment, I agree.

Whilst I still have little doubt that the man hasn't been killed, the whole media operation is a failure. Especially with the whole situation about killing him (armed, unarmed; wife, no-wife; etc.).

Understandable why they don't want to release the images. I still want to see them, even if it's a decade down the line.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but the guy is more valuable alive than dead. There's no reason to kill someone like Bin Laden, especially when he was unarmed and I'm sure a team of SEALs could take a somewhat frail old man down. A tiny part of me thinks this disinformation is because he was taken alive.
(edited 12 years ago)
I swear Shami Chakrabarti says half of what she does just to be awkward, and for the sizeable paypacket that doubtless comes with the Liberty directorship. It's fine having principles, but if she had her way there'd be absolute chaos, everywhere!
Original post by TheFatController
Reeta Chakrabati would be unlikely to declare a public opinion (BBC Reporter) - it's Shami Chakrabati (director of Liberty) who might comment :P

(and no, they aren't related and yes I've made your mistake before)

Sorry, I know I meant to say Shami, but was looking at Reeta to find out if they were related, and was too engrossed in what I was reading/writing to notice. :biggrin:
Reply 2266
(Link: Inside bin Laden's Compound)

Photographs acquired by Reuters and taken about an hour after the U.S. assault on Osama bin Laden's compound in Abbottabad in Pakistan show three dead men lying in pools of blood, but no weapons.

The photos, taken by a Pakistani security official who entered the compound after the early morning raid on Monday, show two men dressed in traditional Pakistani garb and one in a t-shirt, with blood streaming from their ears, noses and mouths.

The official, who wished to remain anonymous, sold the pictures to Reuters.

None of the men looked like bin Laden. President Barack Obama decided not to release photos of his body because it could have incited violence and used as an al Qaeda propaganda tool, the White House said on Wednesday.

Based on the time-stamps on the pictures, the earliest one was dated May 2, 2:30 a.m., approximately an hour after the completion of the raid in which bin Laden was killed.

Other photos, taken hours later at between 5:21 a.m. and 6:43 a.m. show the outside of the trash-strewn compound and the wreckage of the helicopter the United States abandoned. The tail assembly is unusual, and could indicate some kind of previously unknown stealth capability.

Reuters is confident of the authenticity of the purchased images because details in the photos appear to show a wrecked helicopter from the assault, matching details from photos taken independently on Monday.

U.S. forces lost a helicopter in the raid due to a mechanical problem and later destroyed it.

The pictures are also taken in sequence and are all the same size in pixels, indicating they have not been tampered with. The time and date in the photos as recorded in the digital file's metadata match lighting conditions for the area as well as the time and date imprinted on the image itself.

The close-cropped pictures do not show any weapons on the dead men, but the photos are taken in medium close-up and often crop out the men's hands and arms.

One photo shows a computer cable and what looks like a child's plastic green and orange water pistol lying under the right shoulder of one of the dead men. A large pool of blood has formed under his head.

A second shows another man with a streak of blood running from his nose across his right cheek and a large band of blood across his chest.

A third man, in a T-shirt, is on his back in a large pool of blood which appears to be from a head wound.

U.S. acknowledgment on Tuesday that bin Laden was unarmed when shot dead had raised accusations Washington had violated international law. The exact circumstances of his death remained unclear and could yet fuel controversy, especially in the Muslim world.

Pakistan faced national embarrassment, a leading Islamabad newspaper said, in explaining how the world's most-wanted man was able to live for years in the military garrison town of Abbottabad, just north of the capital.

Pakistan blamed worldwide intelligence lapses for a failure to detect bin Laden, while Washington worked to establish whether its ally had sheltered the al Qaeda leader, which Islamabad vehemently denies.

(Writing by Chris Allbritton; Editing by Jon Boyle)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2267
That is a whole lot of blood right there...
Reply 2268
Original post by aja89
That is a whole lot of blood right there...

Especially in that first picture.
Can't wait to see the experts debunk these tomorrow. Then we'll know for sure Obama lied about the whole thing!

yeeehaaa
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2271
Original post by el scampio
Can't wait to see the experts debunk these tomorrow. Then we'll know for sure Obama lied about the whole thing!

yeeehaaa

Debunk what? The pictures don't show Bin Laden...
Oh God... :afraid:
Seem more realistic than others but.. i mean.. reuters? If it was gonna leak somewhere i wouldn't have guessed there..
All I can say is they were last modified on May 4th at around 22:11.

They look like dead bodies to me, but whether they are what they are claimed to be I obviously cannot prove either way.
Reply 2275
Original post by lonely_cupid

Read the article next time, they weren't taken by the US but by a Pakistani officer who sold it to Reuturs (lol, the hustlin' never stops).

I think after taking OBL and the computer out they let the Pakistanis handle the situation.
Saw these on /b/ earlier.

Tbh, with all the fake Bin Laden photos floating around, I'm not sure whether to trust any of them.
Reply 2277
those are brutal killings, USA should be ashamed
Original post by efn
those are brutal killings, usa should be ashamed

you should say hip hip aray
Far too much blood. IMO.

Also they still have a lot of colour in their faces, when you'd expect them to be pale as ****.

Fake.

Quick Reply