How do we hear exactly ? Watch

Nightangel_B'dos
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, i've been trying for ages to know how we hear but in vain...as soon as i get to the sound waves hitting the cochlea i get lost...plz help!!!:confused:
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the cochlea vibrates in a different location dependent on frequency, this is detected by hair cells which are placed all along the entire length of the cochlea, which triggers a neuron to fire transmitting the information to the brain. It is then processed for things like sound location and ultimately identity of source.
Revd. Mike
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
^nexttime provides a good, succinct summary. If you want to know about it in more detail, you can do a bit og Googling or look in some textbooks.

If you're interested in neuroscience, neurodevelopment and how that relates to sensation, I thoroughly recommend the book Beyond the Zonnules of Zinn. Has a good chapter on hearing.
atheistwithfaith
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Wozzie)
As a suffer of variable tinnitus I'd like to throw in that fact that there's also a great deal we do not know about how our brains process the sensation of hearing, your ear can be for lack of a better term dead and you may still sense something which you can only describe as sound coming from that ear.
Yeah, I am sure there is probably a tactile element to what we perceive as hearing - otherwise how can you explain how deaf musicians make such melodically stunning music. I would also be willing to place money on there being psychology studies which show that smell/taste/mood alters how you interpret/hear sounds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads