Turn on thread page Beta

Eton College Universities Summer School, anyone? watch

ReputationRep:
    I got in for English!
    Anyone else? Congratulations everyone!
    What kind of dresses/skirts do we have to wear for the farewell supper? See you there Caity and MEK!

ReputationRep:
    probably just something reasonably smart? i won't be taking anything special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    They send a generic and highly impersonal letter addressed "Dear Applicant" explaining that "the decision we have made is no reflection on either your academic ability or your potential as a university applicant", along with the classic "It is particularly important to point out that some subjects are heavily oversubscribed and therefore outstanding applicants unfortunately have to be turned away.".
    I don't so much mind the fact that I got rejected, I'm just a bit pissed off at the manner in which it was done.
    Ah, but you get an impersonal 'dear applicant' letter even if you WERE successful. Nice of them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MEK)
    Apart from Caity, who else is doing English there?

I got my letter + info pack this morning. And I *think* this is the first time I have ever posted on tsr... well, I'll find out for definite when I post this.

I was also hoping the reading list wouldn't be too late... I can just imagine us getting it really late, a kind of 'surprise surprise' thing with loads to read... :/

Do you think it's going to be really stuffy? I thought the comment about expecting girls to wear a dress or skirt for that final evening thing was a bit off. You know, they didn't really need to say it. Then again, I crossed out the Miss and wrote Ms on the initial form.

It should be good to spend time having long chats about books with other people who also read. The comment about the 'supervised' alcohol was amusing. As was the threat that people had previously been chucked out for breaking the rules.
    I'm doing English as well! Congratulations I'm pretty suprised...I knew I had as good a chance as anyone else, but I'm still fairly shocked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VelocityGirl)
    probably just something reasonably smart? i won't be taking anything special.
    Yeah, and even if they throw us out for inappropriate formal dress, the supper is right at the end of the last day so it won't even matter
    I'll probably just dig out my old school uniform skirt, I really don't own any formal clothes apart from my work trousers and blouse, which wouldn't be allowed anyway. Oh well.:p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I wasn't even going to go that far, I was gonna wear one of my darker coloured longer length dresses- live in dresses anyway, I don't do trackies or anything so smart isn't really a problem. Not having a washing machine may be, I cover everything in coffee after a day...

Just read the thing again- party on an island in the thames hey? sounds hardcore :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bjpchilds)
    Ah, but you get an impersonal 'dear applicant' letter even if you WERE successful. Nice of them...
    So did no one get a letter saying 'dear whatever I am delighted that you will be joining the Eton College Universities Summer School this year to study whatever' from the head of your course department? This is quite confusing, I get my letter before everyone else and what I do get is five lines. Sorry, know i've been banging on about it but it is a bit disconcerting:confused: . I keep reading the letter to check that it says I have been accepted. Were your addresses hand written?

ReputationRep:
    i reckon they send different letters from different departments
    so some departments are probably more polite than others lol

ReputationRep:
    I just got a fairly thick envelope with my address on a sticker, typed, and inside was a few forms and some random pages of information!

If you're worried phone your school/whoever you got the letter from and ask them how they found out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dig_the_pony)
    So did no one get a letter saying 'dear whatever I am delighted that you will be joining the Eton College Universities Summer School this year to study whatever' from the head of your course department? This is quite confusing, I get my letter before everyone else and what I do get is five lines. Sorry, know i've been banging on about it but it is a bit disconcerting:confused: . I keep reading the letter to check that it says I have been accepted. Were your addresses hand written?
    My address was printed.

Well the classicists I have known were always a bit eccentric lol.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it was a last minute decision to accept me and they hastily stuffed something in the postbox. Come to think of it the stamp was at a very funny angle lol. I mean, don't most people try and put stamps on vaguely straight?

ReputationRep:
    :P For the first few, maybe you were at the end of the pile and they gave up on the straight stamps.

It's probably just the different departments handling things differently, maybe that department was decided earlier or something. You'll probably still get all the forms.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what GCSE grades do you guys have? I'm trying to figure out what killed my application. I have 5 A*s, 5As and a B, and an A in AS Maths. Obviously it's different being that none of you are taking Double Maths, but I just want a ball park figure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    Just out of interest, what GCSE grades do you guys have? I'm trying to figure out what killed my application. I have 5 A*s, 5As and a B, and an A in AS Maths. Obviously it's different being that none of you are taking Double Maths, but I just want a ball park figure.
    I think I said this earlier on, but I got 4 A*, 5 A's and a C. I don't think as much emphasis will have been put on them in an arts subject as perhaps in double maths, but who can guess their reasoning. I certainly didn't expect to get in and I think that maybe i'm someone they might have decided to take a chance on, possibly due to the reference/100 words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dig_the_pony)
    I think I said this earlier on, but I got 4 A*, 5 A's and a C. I don't think as much emphasis will have been put on them in an arts subject as perhaps in double maths, but who can guess their reasoning. I certainly didn't expect to get in and I think that maybe i'm someone they might have decided to take a chance on, possibly due to the reference/100 words.
    Yeah, fair enough. I realise that grades aren't everything - the statement had to be worth something, even though there isn't an awful lot you can say in 100 words!

ReputationRep:
    I got 7 A*s and 5 As at GCSE.

I'm really enjoying the fact that I got a C in my physics module and they don't need to know. Saying that, my statement was awesome. All the usual I breathe physics schrodinger is my hero etc etc.

well, i didn't actually write that. Maybe they liked my handwriting.

ReputationRep:
    I had 10A* 1A.
    Hedgeman did they know you already have an A in AS maths when you sent off the application? I thought they were Jan module results?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I got a place to do Double Maths at the Eton summer school. I'm really excited. In response to Hedgeman, I got 6 A* and 4 A. I also have done well in all the UKMT Maths challenges. I don't know if that helped.

Looking forward to meeting you all this summer.

Would be great to get to know each other a little before we go, I'm a bit shy/quiet so would love to have some friends before I go. It seems I'm the last one in godolphin house.

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Manor House. Are the two female houses smaller or are there just more girls going than guys?

Sarah, I love your surname, it's really tolkien-esque :P

ReputationRep:
    Wow you were the one on everyone's letter - you're famous! I would say getting to know each other beforehand is a good idea - facebook anyone? :p:

Looking at the map they gave us the boys house is roughly the same size as the two girls houses put together, so there is probably roughly the same of each.

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.