Eton College Universities Summer School, anyone? Watch

Bjpchilds
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dancingbeth)
Oh and you know the special dietry requirement sheet, do we have to put all the foods we don't like? How is everyone else filling that in? I don't want to look really fussy lol.
I'm not too fussy but I really can't eat nuts. I don't want them to misconstrue that to mean that I have a nut allergy though, because then all hell will break loose and I'll end up having to have specially prepared meals or something:rolleyes:
I think I probably won't bother filling in the dietary requirement sheet, but if they give me something that clearly has nuts in (as in, not just cooked in peanut oil or something, something that has nuts as a main ingredient) I just won't eat it.
Take some extra non-perishable food if you think you might go hungry because of being fussy I guess...we might get hungry during the evening study sessions anyway.
UpTheBracket.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by VelocityGirl)
Hi Beth Facebook only takes a minute we're looking pretty pathetic atm, all 3 members :P I don't use facebook frequently, I cbb.

I wasn't going to put anything on the dietry form. It's probably only for allergies, & things like vegetarians. I don't like cereal, but that's easily substituted with coffee...
'Things' like vegetarians? I'm a vegetarian - WE'RE PEOPLE TOO.

Ha, I'm joking, sorry, I know what you meant...

I'm off to join the Facebook group, good times.

EDIT: In reply to the people worrying about the food - I hardly eat anything! Ha. So, whatever you put, I'll be worse. Guaranteed. Hope that makes you all feel better.
Shrub
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm going to have to go vegetarian whilst at Eton.... nooo!

Someone write on the facebook wall - the (virtual) silence is deafening!
dig_the_pony
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm veggie too UpTheBracket. Do you reckon they'l be used to not serving meat, because considering the usual pupils backgrounds I think it's more likely they would own a pack of hunting dogs than be vegetarian. Still, I imagine the food is gonna trump that served at all of our schools, if you pay 25 grand a year for your kid to go to school you expect something a bit better that turkey twizzlers.

Also, I asked this earlier on, but what does everyone think the general studies lectures will be like?
UpTheBracket.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I posted on the group Wall, everyone. Now GO! Post!
And I don't even have a laptop, so... I'm not going to bring one. And the other thing... Oh yeah, the 'general studies lectures' - I have no idea, but I've always wanted to have 'General Studies' lessons.
VelocityGirl
Report 10 years ago
Ha, sorry, I didn't mean that. I probably meant to write vegetarianism, I lose my concentration when writing simple sentences easily :P

I have no idea about the general studies lectures. If anyone does it for a level, maybe it'll be like what they do? Not a clue what it entails.
dig_the_pony
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by VelocityGirl)
Ha, sorry, I didn't mean that. I probably meant to write vegetarianism, I lose my concentration when writing simple sentences easily :P

I have no idea about the general studies lectures. If anyone does it for a level, maybe it'll be like what they do? Not a clue what it entails.
I don't think it will be at all like the general studies you get taught at school seeing as most universities regard it as irrelevant and I would assume that Eton give a more sophisticated general education. I hope it's worth while because if they're gonna work us as hard as it looks then i think we'll value every spare minute. Is general studies every night?
mr_t_42
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I doubt it will be like the A-level general studies; cos thats essentially common sense and current affairs.
I would have thought that, being Eton, it will be a lot more... challenging.
Could possibly be lots of debating - developing those sorts of skills? Talking and arguing in front of others and all that jazz..
Chances are there will be quite a lot about university applications, and how to go about doing them; I expect that will feature quite strongly over the time we are there.
Apart from that, i haven't a clue...
mr_t_42
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh
I spent so long writing my post that you beat me to the line and said exactly the same thing...
oops
UpTheBracket.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is anyone else really paranoid that they're not good enough??

No? Just me?
dig_the_pony
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It does look like there will be a lot of stuff about university entries -interviews and the like. It talks about university dons doesn't it? Is the term 'don' only used to denote really experienced oxbridge professors, or am I wrong? I would have though that admissions tutors would be relevant enough, but I guess Eton don't like to do things by halves.
dig_the_pony
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by UpTheBracket.)

No? Just me?
Yeah, but I am just choosing to forget about that for now at least. I do think this has put more pressure on me to do well in exams though. I feel like if I go on this and then don't get all A's then it will have been a waste and i'll feel inadequate.
Shrub
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by UpTheBracket.)

No? Just me?
I think the fear of being made to do something for speeches (looking stupid in front of 100 people) far outweighs not understanding anything in class (looking stupid in front of 10 people).

But im sure that paranoia will hit me a few weeks before it starts.
dig_the_pony
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Shrub)
I think the fear of being made to do something for speeches (looking stupid in front of 100 people) far outweighs not understanding anything in class (looking stupid in front of 10 people).

But im sure that paranoia will hit me a few weeks before it starts.
Looking stupid in front of 130 people Shrub
mr_t_42
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

No? Just me?
Yeah I am as well, but as digthepony said, at the moment its best to kinnof ignore it and worry about it when the time comes. The whole acceptance pack did freak me out, and it will be weird going somewhere where you don't know anybody. However, everyone here is really nice and i'm sure it will be an amazing experience by the end.
I would have thought that we're all pretty much in the same boat here and if that's the case then we should all have nothing to worry about.
The scariest thing is if you go to something like this and find that everybody else is uber-confident and not really like you.
I've worried less about the whole thing now that ive seen this forum and the people.
Shrub
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dig_the_pony)
Looking stupid in front of 130 people Shrub
:eek: Thank you for your reassuring words. Anyone actually considering doing anything for speeches?
dig_the_pony
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Shrub)
:eek: Thank you for your reassuring words. Anyone actually considering doing anything for speeches?
What do they actually expect us to speak about? If I was good at being rebellious and could write speeches then I think I would say something about breaking down the class barriers and that public schools are the last bastions of a forgotten age which does nothing but perpetuate an unnecessary void in society. It would be on the last night after all.
MEK
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
'Is anyone else really paranoid that they're not good enough??

No? Just me?'

If you weren't good enough then you wouldn't have been chosen. Think of all that competition you fiercely fought off! :p: I'm sure Eton has done this for a few years and the staff are used to people being nervous, people not knowing anyone, people feeling out of their depth at times etc etc... just try to go with it, and remember that not only should it be fantastic academically, but hopefully you'll meet lots of lovely, funny people as well!
MEK
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by dig_the_pony)
What do they actually expect us to speak about? If I was good at being rebellious and could write speeches then I think I would say something about breaking down the class barriers and that public schools are the last bastions of a forgotten age which does nothing but perpetuate an unnecessary void in society. It would be on the last night after all.
I wouldn't mind helping you out if you wanted... Although they could hold a grudge, I doubt they could chuck us out for that. We'd just have to make sure it was damn well argued
Lottie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi,

I'm in my first-year of university and went on the summer school in 2006 to do Politics & Economics. I stayed in Penn. If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

As far as I can remember, the general studies lectures were on things as diverse as Marxism and Turkey and modern art. I think they simply amounted to the teachers giving lectures on the particular things that interested them.

With best wishes,
Charlotte
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1170)
79.38%
Leave (304)
20.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed