Turn on thread page Beta

Eton College Universities Summer School, anyone? watch

ReputationRep:
    You have to be at a 'maintained' school. Eton being a registered charity is a real bummer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to look into it now, thank you guys for all the information. I wasn't really aware of the summer school at first but now it looks like I could benefit greatly from it, if I was to get in. I would choose Politics and Economics as I wish to study Economics at university. It seems like a great opportunity for me as I attend a state school and it should be interesting to study Economics more in depth.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying for the Politics & Economics course too. While I study Politics, I've no formal knowledge of Economics though, of cource, I am interested in learning. I also don't take Maths AS Level but, as I sat my GCSE a year early, I spent Year 11 covering the C1 and C2 modules (though, as I sat no exams, I have nothing to show for this).

What sort of comment do they expect in the 100 word personal statement? It'd be wonderful to spend some time at Eton but I worry about coming across as a 'suck up'!

ReputationRep:
    A few questions:

Whats the criteria for application?
    How do they differentiate between you and other potential applicants?
    What dates are they held on?
    I'm assuming you can't apply for two courses?
    Are there any similar summer courses at other educational establishments? I'm sure i've heard of a Cam summer school- or is this totally different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lady_daisychain)
    Are there any similar summer courses at other educational establishments? I'm sure i've heard of a Cam summer school- or is this totally different?
    I did one last summer, held at, and run by King's College Cambridge, and only humanities subjects. It was also free. Your school/college should have information/contact details.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going on this years one? If so what subject are you doing?

Ac

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjuthani)
    I did one last summer, held at, and run by King's College Cambridge, and only humanities subjects. It was also free. Your school/college should have information/contact details.
    I got rejected from that event last year- did you find it useful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    You have to be at a 'maintained' school. Eton being a registered charity is a real bummer.
    Sorry, not quite following the meaning here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    & Sutton Trust ones - actually held at universities! & charity funded - thus pretty competitive & various criteria for them...
    Oh, I'm going to the Cambridge one for physics for this, towards the end of this month. Robinson College if I remember right, should be fun.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually going tomorrow to do Politics & Economics.

Maybe I'll see one of you there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jigglypuff)
    I got rejected from that event last year- did you find it useful?
    Mainly in finding out about subjects like philsophy, and how they were studied formally. Much more important was the amazing friends I made there, and have kept in touch with, many of whom also got into Oxbridge later. It was a big factor in helping me when I couldn't decide on whether I actually wanted to take up my Oxford offer (fear of the sterotype of the kind of people there).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewH)
    Sorry, not quite following the meaning here.
    Which words don't you understand?

ReputationRep:
    I've just heard about this in the last week, and I am really keen to do it, for maths. I did the AS level early, and am now doing the a level in yr12. I got an A (290/300) for the maths AS.
    However, I am worried that they may judge me because I didn't get all A*s, or anything like that. Do you think GCSE grades make a big difference to their decision, or do you think predicted grades for the subjects I am now taking, would be enough instead?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I did History there 2 years ago. Everyone should apply, it was amazing! I was completely lacking in confidence when I went (ok, I still am somewhat) but the tutors were really nice.

I think after teaching confident Eton boys they really liked helping people who have been to comprehensives and aren't necessarily so sure of their abilities. They basically told me I had to apply to Oxford. I wasn't intending to, because I just didn't think I'd get in. But I did, and so did at least 3 of the other girls on my History course. Didn't keep in touch with the others so I don't know.

It was so cool to meet people who loved learning! I know that sounds geeky, but it was. And Eton is a crazy, Hogwartsesque environment in which to study. It is hard and a little daunting. Getting full marks in AS level essays makes it a bit of a shock when the tutors scrawl "this is all waffle" down half a page, but they were so supportive, we wen t on cool trips and had 2 practice interviews (one with a guy from Christchurch).

I don't remember what I wrote in my personal statement, sort of "blah, I love History, it would be cool to go to Eton" I think...

I think you have to go to a state school. Be aware that this doesn't necessarily mean a comprehensive though. I think nearly everyone there was at a grammar or selective sixth form. Probably because a lot of comprehensives wouldn't tell their students about it.

GCSEs are probably pretty important. Apparently they also rang up my school and asked them to say who was the best candidate (there were several for history) So I was lucky certain people didn't apply or I'd never have got in! I guess it is quite competitive...for example they take 12 for history. I have no idea how many applicants they have, but probably a lot.

I guess you could apply to the Cambridge and Eton ones...and probably should as both are so competitive. Not 2 courses at Eton though, you need to show commitment to a specific subject I think. Everyone on my course was applying for History or Hist & Politics at uni. Except one girl doing French and Arabic.

If you are even faintly poor, they should pay your fees...

Go! It was such a great opportunity!

ReputationRep:
    I went on the '05 one, and did English.

Splendid, excelent, enlightening. I think it got me my Ox interview. So Go. Go Go Go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbiebuddha)
    I've just heard about this in the last week, and I am really keen to do it, for maths. I did the AS level early, and am now doing the a level in yr12. I got an A (290/300) for the maths AS.
    However, I am worried that they may judge me because I didn't get all A*s, or anything like that. Do you think GCSE grades make a big difference to their decision, or do you think predicted grades for the subjects I am now taking, would be enough instead?
    I went on the 05 eton summer school, and did maths. It was really fun and learned loads. I really wouldn't worry about your grades they are fine, also (290/300) is a really good score for AS maths, that will more than make up for any GCSE grades. Apply, it was an amazing experience, and you have nothing to lose. On top of that, Im now just about to start Maths at oxford, and the stuff I did at eton, was a big help. They give you practice interviews. Apart from that going on a course such as the eton one, shows enthusiasm for your subject and also ability (as places are limited), which is exactly what eton are after. I applied to several courses, incase i didn't get in at eton, if your worried about not getting in at eton, just do that.

ReputationRep:
    oops, meant exactly what oxbridge are after.

ReputationRep:
    I was furious this year: school failed to send my application form to Eton (although they claimed they had), even though I had made all the effort to find out about it, etc. I just hope I didn't miss out on *too* much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Easy as ABC)
    I was furious this year: school failed to send my application form to Eton (although they claimed they had), even though I had made all the effort to find out about it, etc. I just hope I didn't miss out on *too* much
    You didn't. Although a really great experience, I was rejected from them, and am typing this from my room in St Edmund Hall, Oxford! There are many good summer schools out there, like the one I mentioned earlier at King's College, Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I also did the History course two years ago (hi Rosie! ) and I'm on my way to St John's Oxford tomorrow, for Arabic. It was definitely a great experience, the teaching was fantastic and it was good fun too. Completely changed my perception of the subject. The interview coaching is very useful too, I didn't have anywhere near that much support from my school.

On applying -- my tutor at school badgered me into applying, and I didn't exactly spend a lot of time on my statement. We discussed things with the course teachers on one of the (many!) day trips, and they basically said none of our statements were very interesting and we were picked on the basis of our GCSE grades. Everybody on the course had 10 A* grades or more at GCSE, I think.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.