The Student Room Group

Eton College Universities Summer School, anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i'm applying for the one this summer, 2007, though i really doubt i will get in, especially from what you say about 10A*s :frown: i guess there are other summer schools i can apply too, hopefully i will get into one!
any other advice/info would be helpful.
Reply 41
I went on the Politics and Economics course last year (with Lottie) and it was really the final step along the road to "YES I AM GOING TO DO PPE AND IT IS GOING TO BE AMAAAZING!". It was all good fun, too. I don't have 10 A* GCSEs, and we were told that we were selected for potential, but the departments do their own selection from what I could tell so you'll just have to wait and see.

It's awesome if you get in though, so good luck!
Reply 42
Thankyou Aj_deity! but i dont want to get my hopes up though...:wink:
Reply 43
Back in early 2006, I was doing some of my own research about these Summer Schools, because I felt that I needed to break out of the tedium of my state school A-Level course and meet some people who were a bit more committed than your average sixth former. I wanted to go to the Eton Summer School, filled out the application, and then found to my amusement that my school wasn't in favour of me missing term time. It ended up in a talk with the headmaster, concluding in my backing out of the application in the face of red tape and a lack of support. I thought the whole situation was faintly ridiculous, to say the least, and the reluctance on the part of the school to support anybody who wanted to exercise just a bit of independence was extremely disappointing.
Nonetheless, I applied to Oxford this year and got in to Christ Church to read History. I found the whole experience to be rather enjoyable. So I didn't really miss out on a life changing experience by not going to the summer school.
But imagine what I felt two days ago, walking past the sixth form notice board and seeing an Eton Summer Schools application for the lower sixth pinned up with the words 'If interested, see head of sixth form...'.
Bastards. :biggrin:
Reply 44
Aj_deity
I went on the Politics and Economics course last year (with Lottie) and it was really the final step along the road to "YES I AM GOING TO DO PPE AND IT IS GOING TO BE AMAAAZING!". It was all good fun, too. I don't have 10 A* GCSEs, and we were told that we were selected for potential, but the departments do their own selection from what I could tell so you'll just have to wait and see.

It's awesome if you get in though, so good luck!

Hellooooo! :biggrin:

I didn't have the same epiphany as AJ but I certainly had some of the most enjoyable experiences of the year there and met some really lovely people (see above :smile:).
Reply 45
Sounds great from what you've all said! I've put in an application, hoping I'll get lucky! :p:
Reply 46
xxOoliexx
Back in early 2006, I was doing some of my own research about these Summer Schools, because I felt that I needed to break out of the tedium of my state school A-Level course and meet some people who were a bit more committed than your average sixth former. I wanted to go to the Eton Summer School, filled out the application, and then found to my amusement that my school wasn't in favour of me missing term time. It ended up in a talk with the headmaster, concluding in my backing out of the application in the face of red tape and a lack of support. I thought the whole situation was faintly ridiculous, to say the least, and the reluctance on the part of the school to support anybody who wanted to exercise just a bit of independence was extremely disappointing.
Nonetheless, I applied to Oxford this year and got in to Christ Church to read History. I found the whole experience to be rather enjoyable. So I didn't really miss out on a life changing experience by not going to the summer school.
But imagine what I felt two days ago, walking past the sixth form notice board and seeing an Eton Summer Schools application for the lower sixth pinned up with the words 'If interested, see head of sixth form...'.
Bastards. :biggrin:

Yes, I have a similar horror story.

Despite being the person who started this thread way back last year (and therefore letting an awful lot of others know about it :wink:), my school completely failed to send off my application form. It was left languishing on the head of sixth form's desk, despite constant reminders and promises.

Needless to say, despite being very nice on the phone, Eton wouldn't accept a late application, nor would my school confess to Eton that it was their fault.

Sometimes I wonder if some schools actually want their pupils to do well :mad:
Anyone applied to go between 3-13th july? What subject have you applied for?

I'm going for politics and economics, not sure what chance i have of being accepted though!
Reply 48
If you do succeed, say hi to the Thackerays for me!
I've appled for the Politics+Economics one too :smile: :tsr2:
miltonkeynes
I've appled for the Politics+Economics one too :smile: :tsr2:

Oh cool. Do you know anyone else who's applied, and what sort of calibre they are (in terms of GCSE results)? I've heard the majority of the people on the course in previous years have had straight A*s, so i'm just wondering what i'm up against :biggrin: - i got 3A*s and 7As.
Reply 51
Aj_deity (hi!) and I went last year. We both did Politics & Economics. And I second her request to say hello to the Thackerays if you do go; they were really interesting people and good teachers!

I've got some history homework to do for the time being but if you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to explain everything! :smile:
Lottie
Aj_deity (hi!) and I went last year. We both did Politics & Economics. And I second her request to say hello to the Thackerays if you do go; they were really interesting people and good teachers!

I've got some history homework to do for the time being but if you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to explain everything! :smile:

Ah thanks, that's great!

My main concern is that i won't be of quite the same standard as the other applicants, leaving room for me to look like an idiot :biggrin:!! What sort of people were there with you (in terms of GCSE results?), and were less knowledgeable people made to look like fools in the lessons?
Reply 53
I didn't ask people what they had in their GCSEs as I didn't feel it was important. I was there to learn about two subjects I had an interest in and, above everything else, make friends with people from other parts of the country. I wasn't looking to "size up the competition", so to speak. However, everyone I met seemed bright, friendly and interesting. I really have no idea what their GCSE results were.

It was a challenging but supportive environment and, while it was exhausting at times, there was always someone to talk to in the library or in your house from your class to talk to if you were a bit stuck (or just wanted a bit of a chat). You are expected to work independently but it's comforting to see others struggling over writing their personal statement or ploughing their way through the latest essay or Powerpoint presentation too!

Hope this was of some help.
Reply 54
All at once
Ah thanks, that's great!

My main concern is that i won't be of quite the same standard as the other applicants, leaving room for me to look like an idiot :biggrin:!! What sort of people were there with you (in terms of GCSE results?), and were less knowledgeable people made to look like fools in the lessons?

Alrite I applied to do maths, sounds like a great course! I hope i get on to, but it depends whether or not my application gets there in time, only found out about it at 9 o clock last nite!! application deadline is 2moro lol. Come on the Royal Mail!

With regards to your GCSE results theyre good! I suppose it depends on what school you go to and how good your reference + statement was. It's like going through a university application
Reply 55
Lottie
I didn't ask people what they had in their GCSEs as I didn't feel it was important. I was there to learn about two subjects I had an interest in and, above everything else, make friends with people from other parts of the country. I wasn't looking to "size up the competition", so to speak. However, everyone I met seemed bright, friendly and interesting. I really have no idea what their GCSE results were.

It was a challenging but supportive environment and, while it was exhausting at times, there was always someone to talk to in the library or in your house from your class to talk to if you were a bit stuck (or just wanted a bit of a chat). You are expected to work independently but it's comforting to see others struggling over writing their personal statement or ploughing their way through the latest essay or Powerpoint presentation too!

Hope this was of some help.

exhausting...? That didn't sound good! Lol what are the facilities like?
Reply 56
westhamfan
exhausting...? That didn't sound good! Lol what are the facilities like?

I was unaccustomed to the routine! I have a few different subjects each day so it was, at first, a bit of a shock to have the same one at length every day at first.

The timetable was different to the one I'm accustomed to at school. I think there's a copy of the timetable in the information booklet so I shan't go into too much detail about that (mostly because I can't remember the specifics).

By the time the general studies lecture rolled around in the evening, I was mostly just keen to have dinner (though, admittedly, I wasn't always very hungry due to the availability of biscuits and cakes at Bekynton during the tea/coffee/hot chocolate breaks)! And, of course, after dinner, there was homework. The library opened at about seven, I believe, and closed at ten. My memory is a bit foggy at the moment so I'm sure A.J. will correct me if I've just made those times up. Of course, it was quite possible to do most of your homework in your room - particularly if you didn't need use of the computers or anything - but I liked the social aspect of being there and I found I concentrated far better. In my school's library, I always end up chatting to my friends there but we all sort of realised we had things to get on with in Eton so we were quite focused (which is not to say we didn't talk or have fun -- there was just a time and a place!).

My room was a good size and clean but lacking the oak panels and other objects of grandeur I had anticipated. It was just a basic room, really, equipped with everything you needed but very little else. There were two showers and two baths on my floor but I can't remember how many of us there were sharing them. I didn't have any problems with using them when I wanted to.

There was a lot of food. :biggrin:
All at once
Oh cool. Do you know anyone else who's applied, and what sort of calibre they are (in terms of GCSE results)? I've heard the majority of the people on the course in previous years have had straight A*s, so i'm just wondering what i'm up against :biggrin: - i got 3A*s and 7As.

I'm sure they can't find that many people with straight A*s, the reference and statements will probably be equally important. I'm not sure if my school will let me go though, because I gave my teacher the reference sheet without telling her that it would be during term time, and if I get an offer I'm going have to convince them that it's worth missing school for.

Spoiler

westhamfan
Alrite I applied to do maths, sounds like a great course! I hope i get on to, but it depends whether or not my application gets there in time, only found out about it at 9 o clock last nite!! application deadline is 2moro lol. Come on the Royal Mail!

With regards to your GCSE results theyre good! I suppose it depends on what school you go to and how good your reference + statement was. It's like going through a university application

Lol i'm in a similar position, i found out over the weekend and my application was sent off today!
Reply 59
I sent my application off on the very last day it could reach Eton on time and panicked when it snowed the following day.

Quick Reply

Latest