The Student Room Group

Eton College Universities Summer School, anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I actually went to this summer school.

Don't get hung up if you don't get in, I didn't find it useful.

I'll be honest the grades are slightly lower than average but if I recall you have to write some extra things for them?
Okay thanks and yeah you have to write in less than 100 words why you want to do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school has just given me a bit of a nudge to apply for this. Initially, I was apprehensive as I've already applied for a Headstart EDT course, but reading all these comments about the Eton College course makes me want to apply for this too, but obviously I cannot/don't have enough money to attend both.

If there is anyone who has previously attended this course reading this, I would like to ask you guys whether this course was actually beneficial towards your UCAS and application for Oxbridge. Reading the leaflet for this course sounds like it would be alot of fun being able to be surrounded by so many like-minded year 12 students, but will it actually be of use in the long run?
Reply 583
Original post by TheBeesKnees
My school has just given me a bit of a nudge to apply for this. Initially, I was apprehensive as I've already applied for a Headstart EDT course, but reading all these comments about the Eton College course makes me want to apply for this too, but obviously I cannot/don't have enough money to attend both.

If there is anyone who has previously attended this course reading this, I would like to ask you guys whether this course was actually beneficial towards your UCAS and application for Oxbridge. Reading the leaflet for this course sounds like it would be alot of fun being able to be surrounded by so many like-minded year 12 students, but will it actually be of use in the long run?

This was literally one of the best 10 days I've ever had! The main thing I gained from it was a complete change in my work ethic and willingness to read around my subject more! You get a brilliant opportunity to talk to oxbridge admissions tutors, you learn amazing things you can talk about at interview (I'm applying for medicine and talked about some biochemistry stuff I learned which they were very interested in) you get the opportunity for interview practice and tips from the Eton teachers and you'll find yourself months later after doing the summer school, wishing each other luck at interviews :smile: personally it didn't help me with applying for Oxford but medicine is extremely competitive let alone at Oxford! My friend who also went got an offer from Oxford for chemistry though and I know several other people who went also got offers from Oxbridge!
I'm slightly more leaning towards HSPS at Cambridge (focusing on politics and international relations) than PPE ( which I'm also interested in), so do you think they would accept me onto the Politics and Economics course at the summer school?

I do A-level maths and got a good set of A*s at GCSE. Any ideas??!?
Original post by meggyP
This was literally one of the best 10 days I've ever had! The main thing I gained from it was a complete change in my work ethic and willingness to read around my subject more! You get a brilliant opportunity to talk to oxbridge admissions tutors, you learn amazing things you can talk about at interview (I'm applying for medicine and talked about some biochemistry stuff I learned which they were very interested in) you get the opportunity for interview practice and tips from the Eton teachers and you'll find yourself months later after doing the summer school, wishing each other luck at interviews :smile: personally it didn't help me with applying for Oxford but medicine is extremely competitive let alone at Oxford! My friend who also went got an offer from Oxford for chemistry though and I know several other people who went also got offers from Oxbridge!

Wow, that definitely like it would be worth while then! Okay, thank you very much for your opinion, I think I might go and apply for it then!
Original post by meggyP

Hi Megan :wink:

Yeah, I'm basically just going to repeat what Megan said. The money scared me off a bit at first, but this was seriously the best ten days of my entire life. I met some amazing people, many of whom I still talk to, and I learnt an awful lot.

I'm not going to lie, the summer school includes a lot of hard work. You'll have a full timetables day from half 8 in the morning until half 7 at night, and then you'll have about 2 and a half hours of work to do after that. You get really used to it after a while though, and it definitely helped me realise that I could be working really hard and still have an AMAZING time.

Another thing that put me off was worrying that the Eton teachers would be really posh and snobby or whatever, but they are the complete opposite of this. Everyone is lovely, and I wish I could go back again this year just to see them all again.

So yeah, I honestly can't praise this summer school enough :L If you have any other questions about any aspect of the course than feel free to ask. I studied Maths and Chemistry there, but I made friends with a lot of people who were taking Physics so I know a little bit about that course too (:

EDIT: Yeah, I forgot to actually mention about how it helped in the long run. I can't tell you much about how it affected my Oxford application, because when I went for interview they never once mentioned anything else that I'd done. However, it was certainly a great help at other universities that I applied for. My interviewer at Birmingham in particular seemed very impressed about the experience that I gained on the course. So it really is a win-win situation :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm considering applying but wouldn't you end up missing two weeks of school? We start our A2 courses after AS exams are over and it seems like I would have a lot of catching up to do...
Sorry, I only just spotted there had been another comment on this post. Yeah, you end up missing quite a bit of school - I was the same, I actually missed my chemistry assessed practicals -.- But I caught up fine, so I wouldn't let the fact that it's during school time put you off.
Reply 589
I would have to wholeheartedly encourage anyone to apply to this - I'm absolutely sure it helped me with my Oxford application, but I also met loads of amazing people who I'm still in contact with now. Quite easily one of the best experiences I've had!

It helped further my enjoyment for history, but also my self-confidence. Meeting loads of like-minded people as well is invaluable; the atmosphere is so friendly, but at the same time you're encouraged to push yourself. I thoroughly recommend it, all the tutors are literally geniuses and you feel more intelligent just being around them, the buildings are beautiful and it's so much fun - plus, you feel like you learn more in those ten days than you do in a year at school.

So many opportunities arose out of the summer school - in fact, every now and then I go back up with one of my friends whom I met there, and we go to one of the history society lectures and then for dinner with everyone. It seriously was the best, I underestimated how good it was going to be!
Wow this sounds like such good opportunity and I really want to go on it now! Does anyone who applied this year know when they are letting us know whether we got onto the course or not?
I just got acceptance letter! Woooooop! So excited for this now! Anyone else get a place? Just had a quick glance at the timetable and wow it looks intense, but I am looking forward to it nonetheless.
Reply 592
I just got acceptance letter! Woooooop! So excited for this now! Anyone else get a place? Just had a quick glance at the timetable and wow it looks intense, but I am looking forward to it nonetheless.

Pleasantly surprised this morning by my acceptance letter for French :P YAY. What course are you doing?

The timetable does look insane. After seeing that and looking through this thread, I think i'm actually more excited about meeting new, like-minded people than my actual course. :L
Original post by lukeface
Pleasantly surprised this morning by my acceptance letter for French :P YAY. What course are you doing?

The timetable does look insane. After seeing that and looking through this thread, I think i'm actually more excited about meeting new, like-minded people than my actual course. :L

Physics with Chemistry! and yes, I am so excited to actually be fully dedicated to the subjects I love and actually learn something for the sake of it rather than for an exam. And I agree, the timetable looks great! I am looking forward to the "Speeches" - that seems really interesting and I have a few ideas already! My birthday also happens to fall during the course, so that will be an new experience too. :smile:
Reply 594
I received my acceptance letter today! I'm doing maths with physics :smile: so excited!!
Reply 595
Physics with Chemistry! and yes, I am so excited to actually be fully dedicated to the subjects I love and actually learn something for the sake of it rather than for an exam. And I agree, the timetable looks great! I am looking forward to the "Speeches" - that seems really interesting and I have a few ideas already! My birthday also happens to fall during the course, so that will be an new experience too. :smile:

I don't really know what this whole speech thing is for... Do you get to choose what speech you do? The 18th century dress up part of it looks like it could be a laugh.

You'll have to have a birthday Eton style then! (I.e. work all day :biggrin: )
Original post by lukeface
I don't really know what this whole speech thing is for... Do you get to choose what speech you do? The 18th century dress up part of it looks like it could be a laugh.

You'll have to have a birthday Eton style then! (I.e. work all day :biggrin: )

From the information they sent us, it just sounds like a talent show. Not too sure about the dressing up part though!

And yes, it will certainly be a new experience. I am just so glad to have gotten a place onto the course- all these previous comments about past experiences sound like they have all had great times which has made me incredibly excited for the course! Just got to get through AS level exams first though...
Just wondering, but do they send you a letter to say if you're unsuccessful as well? Only asking because my friend (who chose Classics) got her letter yesterday saying she got in, but I haven't received anything (I chose English)? x
Original post by thebrokebookworm
Just wondering, but do they send you a letter to say if you're unsuccessful as well? Only asking because my friend (who chose Classics) got her letter yesterday saying she got in, but I haven't received anything (I chose English)? x

I assume they would. The 3 other students who applied in my school all haven't received confirmation or rejection letters yet.
Reply 599
I got in too! So excited!! I'm doing Chemistry with Biology, is anyone else? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest