Eton College Universities Summer School, anyone? Watch

Aj_deity
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ahaha, I am back to ROCK YOUR WORLD AND ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS!

I did exactly the same thing with the sending it off on the very, very last day possible. Fear not.

I have not got straight A*s- I have 8 out of 10. Frankly, I'm not sure where this silly "million A*s = automatic win" thing has come from, but it's lies lies and more lies as far as I can tell. Selection procedures were done by department, and the people doing ours openly said that we were selected for "potential". Make of this whatever you will. They do seem to actively target a few people from London schools as well.

The library was open from 8 until 10, although it was always a rugby scrum to get a computer seeing as so many people needed them. Work was difficult, and you do get worn out, but there is recreation time in the afternoons in which you can do sport, swim or just relax for a while! We also played the Eton Wall Game and Fives, which is all good fun. And, as Lottie said, it's really not that big a deal if you've got people around you doing exactly the same things- you just get on with it!
Lottie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was convinced I'd made up the library times so I'm glad you corrected me, A.J.
Aj_deity
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You got one of them right, and I only remember them because I'm so stomach orientated that I remember we were generally eating at 7!
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've applied because my head of sixth form recommended it to me - but considering they only take ~120 people I doubt I'll get in!
westhamfan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
is that 120 for the whole course? So what like 13 for maths?...
Square
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Does anyone know anything similar to the Eton college summer school that accepts applicants from independant schools?
Lottie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Malcolm Kane)
Does anyone know anything similar to the Eton college summer school that accepts applicants from independant [sic] schools?
I think the vast majority of summer schools (e.g. Eton, Sutton Trust, etc.) are aimed at those from the maintained sector who attend schools that might not encourage their pupils to be as aspirational as those attending independent/public schools.

There's something off with how I phrased the above sentence but I can't quite get it to sound right.
Flower404
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I applied for maths, and second choice maths with physics, though i'm not going to get my hopes up. when do they let you know if you're in or out? is it the first week of april?
Lottie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I found out when I was at the Cambridge Sixth Form Law Conference which, if I remember correctly, was the last week of March.
Demoskratos7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Good luck everyone with your Eton applications. I went, and it was a great two weeks, plus a real eye-opener, but in a good way. You get to meet loads of different, interesting people who are committed to their work, plus some really rather brilliant teachers.
westhamfan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are we supposed to have found out already?
MarcD
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Im almost positive I heard someone say they were notified during the last week of march/first week of april...
westhamfan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
O ok, not long then.

Anyone applied to do maths? Hope I get in, everyone seems to say its really good. Plus the content sounds really gd as well
MarcD
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yup double maths with maths and physics as secondary pref.

Fingers crossed!
All at once
Report 11 years ago
Who's heard back? I unfortunately didn't get in, so those of you going will miss out on meeting me .

They said the fact i was rejected is "no reflection on either academic ability or potential", and bearing in mind we had to give parents' occupations, i think we can safely say this is a perfect example of labour's social engineering :mad: :p:
MarcD
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just got the letter through the post a few minutes ago. Sadly I wasn't accepted either. Oh well!
westhamfan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well it probs has no reflection on anything!! I sent it on the last day possible and that was probably why I got rejected. Niether of my parents even did A levels let alone university (so I have no idea what HE is really like) and we aren't exactly well off... So it can't be anything to do with labour's social engineering.

And to those who say everyone on the course had like 10 a*s or higher, I got 11a*s and didnt get in! lol im gutted, it sounded really good.
All at once
Report 11 years ago
haha i wonder what it was based on though...?

Did anyone get in??

Either of you going to have a crack at any of the ones offered at other places (i think king's, cambridge do one)?
westhamfan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nah i didnt know about anything else, my school is crap at things like that.

I reckon you had to be really dedicated to the subject, like for maths I couldnt do more maths at school but i didnt really do it out of school...

My mate got in for philosphy, but then he came first in the country for RE :p: so he should have got in really...lol
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got in! I really didn't expect it so I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm sorry to know that you all didn't get in I would've loved to have met you guys!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?