The Student Room Group

Eton College Universities Summer School, anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I know these are a bit random, but I don't know if I should do Biology or French...
Reply 121
I was just wondering how people found Biology or French as I'm trying to decide which of the two to apply for
I'm considering going to this in the summer (I'm in lower sixth now) but, to those who have been on this, is it worth going? I am hoping to apply to read history at Cambridge.

Hope this is the right forum!

(http://www.etoncollege.com/eton.asp?di=564)
Reply 123
Hey there!

I'm planning on applying to the summer school for the joint maths with chemistry course, so I shall be watching this thread with interest. If you take a look at the last thread about the summer school (you can find it easily with search) people seemed to have a really amazing time, and said it was very worthwhile.
Reply 124
You might want to read this thread on it, seems to have a lot of information and past experiences: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=3324054

Good luck if you do apply. :smile:
Ah thanks. Didn't realise there was a previous thread.
Reply 126
I've been to a Oxford version of this, well I think it's the same thing
Reply 127
I have no experience of this, but from what I've heard it sounds fantastic, so I'd go if I were in your situation. :biggrin:
When should we ideally send our application form off? Would it be advantageous to send it off as early as possible? I've just asked for an application form off the Eton College summer school website :frown:
Tickety Boo
When should we ideally send our application form off? Would it be advantageous to send it off as early as possible? I've just asked for an application form off the Eton College summer school website :frown:

Wow, old thread. Well, I sent mine off about a day before the deadline and I still got a place, so......
I did biology there in summer 2007 and had a bloody amazing time. The school is very cool (although the accommodation wasn't particularly fantastic!) and though the routine felt really strange at first (you have meals together in the purpose-built canteen building, you have a timetabled slot for recreation, you have an afternoon tea slot with cake and biscuits, you have a general lecture and tutorial right before you have dinner, you do your evening homework in the library....) but it's surprising how quickly you get used to it. I particularly loved the tutorials - I think it was because my tutor was awesome, but it was a chance for everyone to get into a huge discussion (often about nothing!). Above all, it was such a burst of fresh air to finally meet people at the same level as you, however arrogant/etc that sounds. Subject-wise, I think you might get more out of the summer school if you are an arts student - as a science student, 2 weeks isn't really enough to get you going on anything significant so it was more of an introduction to advanced topics really, while my friends who did History/Eng Lit/French/PPE etc all seemed to have a lot of work and discussions. That said, I still got far more out of it than 2 weeks at school ever would, and if only to just have the experience and meet all those people again I think it's worth going. I've made some great friends there, who I know I will still keep in contact even when I go to uni.

If you want anything more detailed PM me.

Oooh, looks like threads have merged.
Reply 131
Any hints on what to put in the 100 word statement, or do you remember what you wrote?

For example did you concentrate on your interest in the subject you were applying for, or why the course would be perfect for you? How much did you talk about unrelated extra-curriculars?
I'm thinking about applying for Biology and Chemistry this summer. I'm going to speak to my head of sixth form about it. It sounds such good fun!
Shrub
Any hints on what to put in the 100 word statement, or do you remember what you wrote?

For example did you concentrate on your interest in the subject you were applying for, or why the course would be perfect for you? How much did you talk about unrelated extra-curriculars?

Err, I wrote my statement in about 10 minutes as I was running out of time so much. It was basically "oooh I love biology please take me" kind of thing :p: I mentioned why I wanted to do it, touched on my work experience/wider reading and wrote a sentence about my extra curriculars (which at that time included an eco-committee, volunteering and piano :p: ). Tbh I think they select based on grades mainly (though not only because of that, mind) as 100 words isn't really enough to differentiate between people....
I was rejected from this last year :hmpf:
I think I'm going to apply for History.

[Sorry. Completely pointless post.]
Only found out about this last week but I'd love to go. I want to apply to English but apparently it's completely oversubscribed and I only have 6 A*s so hmmmmm we'll see!

(repeating UpTheBracket, here ends a completely pointless post.)
Reply 137
I saw the leaflet to this thing in my common room the other day and my first thought was 'why would anyone spend so much money on learning to apply to uni when you can learn it by yourself?' but obviously its to be introduced to your subject and from what people have said it appears to be really useful
Reply 138
Did applying for / has already done the chemistry course? I'm hoping it won't be so oversubscribed as these cultured english and history subjects everyone seems to be applying for :p:
Has anyone sent off their application yet? I've still got to get my Chemistry teacher to write my work record form.

Quick Reply

Latest