Car insurance groups Watch

JollyJelly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've bought a 2002 renault clio which is Group 2 insurance for £1600. I'm looking at a 1.2 ford fiesta on ebay for £590. I'm very tempted to buy this since I could save over a thousand pounds! Plus the fiesta looks less 'girly' in my childish mind. even though it's 4 years older and generaly looks crap. It's got MOT untill next year though.

The Fiesta however is in insurance group 5. Quotes for my clio are ridiculous from compare the market. (I'll be able to get it cheaper if I ring a company up and put one of my parents on it.) And insurance for the fiesta is about the same on compare the market. I'm wondering whether the insurance groups will make a huge difference once I get a proper quote? Some people think that the groups make f all difference for 17 year olds (within reason) as insurance will be stupidly high for any car.

Summary: Will there be a huge difference between goup 2 and group 5 insurance?

Thanks in advance.
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
I couldn't possibly answer for definite. However, generally for younger drivers, what you hit is often worth a lot more than your own car. If you go for TPFT, the effect of insurance group should be relatively small because the insurance company won't have to pay out for repairs to your car, and is based on the statistics for people having accidents in your type of car rather than what insurance group it is. This is just a theory though...
JollyJelly
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by FXX)
I couldn't possibly answer for definite. However, generally for younger drivers, what you hit is often worth a lot more than your own car. If you go for TPFT, the effect of insurance group should be relatively small because the insurance company won't have to pay out for repairs to your car, and is based on the statistics for people having accidents in your type of car rather than what insurance group it is. This is just a theory though...
Thanks for the reply. it's looking inreasingly likely I'm gonna sell my clio and get the cheaper ford. Just to save moneys.

Thanks again
Flibbles
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It didn't make a big difference for me- on a group 7 car the difference between that and a group 3 was £100 on an £1800 policy. This was a 1.2 corsa vs a 1.8 tdci focus.
pyuicd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it shouldn't have too much of an impact. Can't you just run a price comparison with the fiesta with the reg from the photo? If not find the reg of another identical fiesta on ebay or autotrader.

Also I don't see how Clios are girly. If it seems a good car you might be best off keeping it- you incur the cost of selling it which might not be the price you paid, + advertising cost. You might be taking a risk financially, especially if the fiesta turns out to be crap.

Up to you in the end though, whatever makes you happy
1christopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are 2 sets of insurance group numbers. The old system went from 1-20, and this is likely the system your clio has been banded in.

The new system is more likely to be the one the fiesta has been measured in (by the fact my Focus is a 5 on the old system). The new system is 1-50 at present but new numbers being added at the end regularly :P
NOBODY MOVE!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 1christopher)
There are 2 sets of insurance group numbers. The old system went from 1-20, and this is likely the system your clio has been banded in.

The new system is more likely to be the one the fiesta has been measured in (by the fact my Focus is a 5 on the old system). The new system is 1-50 at present but new numbers being added at the end regularly :P
correct ^^
this 1-50 insurance ratings were introduced start of 2010 - which is when i started referring to them,atleast :} so i do not know why so many people still use the old system, 16 months on.......

my corsa is the new group 9 (old group 4).......... group 9 for an old CORSA, i say!
the price i pay for choosing a trim level with factoryfitted, colourcoded finishings/detailings.... :'D
pixitroll
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They don't seem to use ins groups much in their calculations. It's kinda strange they exist at all!
vfaz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
only a couple of hundred pounds a year if you're just starting, and i'd totally reccomend a fiesta, sooo nice to drive!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads