general questions about Aberdeen Uni Watch

lisapini
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I've just firmed aberdeen to study IR and History. I just wanted to know what the life in Aberdeen was really like, is it that grey and cold as I read on other websites?

As a first year student, I'm going to live in halls, which ones are realistically the best? I love going out but I can't stand noise at night When I'm trying to go to bed! And does anyone know if showers are shared, as in you just shower with other people or they still remain intimate and you can have a shower alone?

Thanks for your help!
mchoneybee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Lisapini, I graduated from my undergrad degree at Aberdeen last summer.

When it rains in Aberdeen it can be grey and depressing. However I would say that this idea that Aberdeen is always rainy and grey is absolute rubbish.

Aberdeen is scotlands sunniest city. It might never be as warm as places in England, but due to it's microclimate it is generally dry most of the time. When it does rain it tends to be a fine 'mist' rather than a rainshower. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4202571.stm

In terms of halls you can choose between catered and self catered.

In catered halls you obviously don't have to worry about meals as they are included in the price, but you will have to share toilets and bathrooms. There are locks on the door so you don't have to take a shower at the same time as another student - they must obviously wait until you have finished. The food is utter crap.

In self catered there tends to be an enclosed flat shared between 5-6persons, with 2 toilets and a shower room per flat so there will be times when you may have to wait to use them. the advantage of self catered this is you can eat what you like and are not bound to set meal times.

There are new halls now since I was in first year so I'm not sure how they compare although they are run by unite which is an outside company in cooperation with hillhead halls.

Walls are quite thin and whether you are in catered where you will be on corridors with about 30 people on each floor or whether you are in your little self catered flat noise WILL be an issue. Due to students coming and going at all hours of the night, holding parties and generally having a good time to themselves.

It is highly annoying, but the only thing you can do about it is to phone the wardens and make a noise complaint - be careful when you do this though, if the people you are complaining about find out they can take issue and start doing it deliberately.

My advice is to get most of your important work done on campus in a quiet study room or in the central building of hillhead halls. As for trying to get to sleep it would be really wise to invest in earplugs or headphones (so you can at least sleep to your own music rather than the party across the road).
username356927
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lisapini)
Hi,

I've just firmed aberdeen to study IR and History. I just wanted to know what the life in Aberdeen was really like, is it that grey and cold as I read on other websites?

As a first year student, I'm going to live in halls, which ones are realistically the best? I love going out but I can't stand noise at night When I'm trying to go to bed! And does anyone know if showers are shared, as in you just shower with other people or they still remain intimate and you can have a shower alone?

Thanks for your help!

(Original post by mchoneybee)
Hi Lisapini, I graduated from my undergrad degree at Aberdeen last summer.

When it rains in Aberdeen it can be grey and depressing. However I would say that this idea that Aberdeen is always rainy and grey is absolute rubbish.

Aberdeen is scotlands sunniest city. It might never be as warm as places in England, but due to it's microclimate it is generally dry most of the time. When it does rain it tends to be a fine 'mist' rather than a rainshower. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4202571.stm

In terms of halls you can choose between catered and self catered.

In catered halls you obviously don't have to worry about meals as they are included in the price, but you will have to share toilets and bathrooms. There are locks on the door so you don't have to take a shower at the same time as another student - they must obviously wait until you have finished. The food is utter crap.

In self catered there tends to be an enclosed flat shared between 5-6persons, with 2 toilets and a shower room per flat so there will be times when you may have to wait to use them. the advantage of self catered this is you can eat what you like and are not bound to set meal times.

There are new halls now since I was in first year so I'm not sure how they compare although they are run by unite which is an outside company in cooperation with hillhead halls.

Walls are quite thin and whether you are in catered where you will be on corridors with about 30 people on each floor or whether you are in your little self catered flat noise WILL be an issue. Due to students coming and going at all hours of the night, holding parties and generally having a good time to themselves.

It is highly annoying, but the only thing you can do about it is to phone the wardens and make a noise complaint - be careful when you do this though, if the people you are complaining about find out they can take issue and start doing it deliberately.

My advice is to get most of your important work done on campus in a quiet study room or in the central building of hillhead halls. As for trying to get to sleep it would be really wise to invest in earplugs or headphones (so you can at least sleep to your own music rather than the party across the road).
There is no noise in New Carnegie :cool: Very cosy actually.
bozhkov
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cosy and costly
WolfSong2000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I graduated from Aberdeen Uni with a history degree last year, so if you've got any questions about that, feel free to PM me...with regards to accommodation. If you can afford it, Crombie may be your best bet - seemed to be relatively quiet (I was in Johnston which was next door), some rooms were ensuite and it was catered, which was good because there was more of an excuse to mingle to with other students.
leaplittle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want quite at night but still have an awesome time going out etc. New Carnegie up in hillead is deffiantly for you! Im just about to move out...i can never hear my flatmates! Plus you get an ensuite!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads