A timeline of electronic music? Watch

metalthrashin'mad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am starting to get into stuff like Aphex Twin, and lots of ambient electronic like Klaus Sculze and Tangerine Dream. I was wondering if someone could draw up like a timeline (or probably better, just a list of styles and the best artists) of all the styles of electronic music, with a couple of great bands for these, like most people do with metal, like this:

heavy metal - iron maiden, black sabbath, dio, motorhead
thrash metal - slayer, sodom, kreator, demolition hammer, megadeth
death metal - fleshgod apocalypse, death, cannibal corpse, nile, entombed, dismember
etc etc
majikthise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Try here. It's not perfect, but should be adequate to get a general idea of what's going on.
Willum Infanta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thread made by the guy who said all other music but metal is ****... :dry:

Can't be arsed doing a timeline thingy, just my personal fave's from genres

DnB - Phace, Black Sun Empire, Photek...and if you're gonna listen to Pendulum at least make it their earlier (better) stuff.

House - Daft Punk, Deadmau5, Armand van Helden

Dubstep - Broken Note, Burial, Datsik

Trance - (I listen to psytrance mainly but meh here are non psy) Arksun, Paul van Dyk, Tiesto, Armin van Buuren

Ambient - Biosphere, Ulrich Schnauss, Helios

There are tons of other genres but those are your main lot.
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Willum Infanta)
Thread made by the guy who said all other music but metal is ****... :dry:
take a look at my last fm library, I think you will find a fair amount of pop, rock, shoegaze and classical. It's just most dubstep, most metalcore and deathcore, and most modern pop singers (Katy Perry basically) that I cannot stand.
IcEmAn911
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Trance - Johan Gielen, Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Ferry Corsten, Armin van Buuren, Markus Schulz, BT, Gabriel & Dresden (Josh Gabrief & Dave Dresden), Rank 1, Marco V, Marcel Woods, John O'Callaghan, Jes, Gareth Emery, Sander van Doorn, Above & Beyond, Aly & Fila, Ernesto Vs. Bastian, Arnej, Mike Foyle, Dash Berlin, Roger Shah (DJ Shah), Jochen Miller, Orjan Nilsen, tyDi, and so on...
specialm
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Didnt kraftwerk virtually invent electro music ?
Van Grall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
and if you're gonna listen to Pendulum at least make it their earlier (better) stuff.
!!!

In silico and Immersion are far superior to Hold your Colour and recordings of their earlier works

!!!

(In my opinion)
Willum Infanta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Van Grall)
!!!

In silico and Immersion are far superior to Hold your Colour and recordings of their earlier works

!!!

(In my opinion)
Well, In Silico is decent, it has the odd good song, but from then on they're quite inconsistent...like for every song I listen to there's 3 I would just skip...Immersion is the same.

Hold your Colour is what really got me into dnb a while back...and I still love it now
Van Grall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, In Silico is decent, it has the odd good song, but from then on they're quite inconsistent...like for every song I listen to there's 3 I would just skip...Immersion is the same.

Hold your Colour is what really got me into dnb a while back...and I still love it now
Don't get me wrong, I love Hold your Colour, but when I heard In Silico and then recently Immersion, they had moved away from their original style to one which I enjoyed much more. Less repetitive lyrics and more instrumental, but when lyrics are present (e.g. Witchcraft) they are better crafted and are not simply there for the sake of having them.
concubine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by specialm)
Didnt kraftwerk virtually invent electro music ?

Haha.

I can't be ****ed with any kind of timeline but you should listen to: Biosphere, Blackfilm, Johann Johannsson, Datach'i, Global Communication, if:then:goto, Brian Eno, Steve Reich, Aes Dana, Akira Kosemura, David Helping, Eluvium, Arktau Eos, Portal, Zoat-Aon, Halo Manash, Michael Meara, BLABLABLA.

Some of it isn't totally electronic, but as ambient generally falls under electronica, whatever.

And I'm sure you've already listened to it, but Ulver's electronic **** rules.
Panda Bear
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Resident Advisor is all you need in your life.
member520746
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'ma subscribe to this now and might have a proper crack at this later.
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
(Original post by concubine)

And I'm sure you've already listened to it, but Ulver's electronic **** rules.
time line not really want i meant, just subgenres and artists. From Ulver I have only heard Bergtatt which is one of the best black metal albums ever, and Nattens Madrigal which I didnt like quite as much. Will check them out at some point
hogso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've heard the story that credits Genesis P-Orridge with both coining the term acid house, and introducing the music to Ibiza in the late 80s. It might not be true, but it is a nice story about a man with breasts and should probably be included in a timeline of electronic music anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (503)
37.65%
No - but I will (103)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.75%

Watched Threads