Parents' reactions to attempted suicide? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok, right, I know this sounds like a really odd question, which I suppose it in esscence is. But if somebody failed at committing suicide, how angry would their parents be? I've been feeling sooooo depressed lately, and I feel like my life is out of my control, there's some situations I've managed to get myself into which I can't escape from. Lots of my friends are giving up on me, my closest guy friend said he can't deal with me like this anymore and it makes me feel sooo bad becasue he's such a decent guy. Anyway, should I fail, how angry are my parents going to be? I realise if I fail, I'm not going to be given a second chance at trying this...last time my parents found out I self harmed they said they'd kick me out (even though I'm 16) and my dad told me to do a better job of it...then again thewy didn't really undersatnd it, they thoguht I was doing it to look cool (?!). I feel so ill...like mentally. EVERYTHING is too stressful now. I know it's odd, but please answer
musicmad123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if you want to talk feel free to message me. You need to find someone to talk to rather than wondering how angry your parents would be if you unsuccessfully attempted suicide. Maybe I'm wrong, but are you thinking of this as an extreme cry for help, don't get me wrong I'm not calling you attention seeking. if you're willing to go to these lengths to get some help you obviously need it. Your parents would probably be very upset maybe angry, who knows. But best not to find out, get help now
cvqw1278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think your parents would feel incredibly to blame, it isn't fair to put that much weight onto their shoulders.
Talk to someone you feel safe with about this and get through it! You can get through this!
Lewroll
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I had a kid that tried to commit suicide I wouldn't be angry, I would probably be sad that I didn't realise how depressed they were and I would also feel bad that they didn't feel like they could turn to me for help.
getfunky!
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It would be unfair to your parents really. Its time to get some help, to get your life back on track to how you want it be Talk to your GP about arranging some method of help, you don't have anything to lose in finding genuinely comforting help.. But! Ignore the things that cause you to feel depressed, and focus on the positive things in your life

Theres no point in committing suicide when you feel that you have no control of your own life. Its time to get control of your life. :rolleyes:
any_name
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Could you please be a bit more specific (don't have to disclose everything) on what is wrong that makes you want to end your life.I do not want to sound patronising,but you are so young and it would be a shame and terrible waste of life life/potential.If you only knew how much potential/opportunities you have ahead of you? I know a bit about this sort of thing,and believe me,nothing in this world is worth killing yourself over (imho).
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
If you were my kid I'd be confused as to why you did not come to me and talk instead of trying to take your own life... which I personally think is selfish as you are willing to cause a lot of pain for your loved ones.

So why don't you talk to your parents and if not them then your GP or a close friend/another family member you trust perhaps? what's the worse that can happen? they don't believe that you are in pain, which is where your GP or a close friend/another family member you trust comes in, to me it sounds a lot better than killing ones self which is never the answer.

Grab life by the balls and be in charge of your destiny, don't let it **** you over.
coca
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's no wonder you're depressed if your parents treat you like that.
Tahooper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I never actually attempted suicide, but I did come very close and when my parents found out about it I wouldn't say they were at all angry, more terrified and upset that there was nothing they could do to help. I think if I had done it it would have pretty much destroyed them, basically the only thing that kept me from doing it was knowing I'd be wrecking the lives of my family and friends.

It does get better though - I was about as depressed as you can get, but eventually with the right treatment I started getting better, and now I'd consider myself almost completely cured. There are plenty of things you can do to treat depression (I'm assuming that you are depressed) - there are lifestyle changes like doing more exercise or having a better diet, or talking therapies like counselling or CBT, or there's the medication route (although doctors are a bit wary of prescribing antidepressants to under 18s). So there are plenty of options you can try, don't give up yet.

Another thing that can be a lifeline is to have somebody who you trust and can talk to when you're feeling down. This could be a family member, a friend, a teacher or a doctor (and I would definitely recommend that you see your gp if you haven't done so already). If there's no-one in your life who you feel able to talk to about this stuff there's always the samaritans, who you can phone or email, or on tsr there's the depression society.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi OP

I am sorry that you are feeling so low at the moment. It seems like you are struggling with a difficult situation with your parents. I would really advice that you talk to someone about how you are feeling and maybe try and get some help from your GP?

Right now it sounds like it might help you to talk though how you are feeling with someone, especially if you are worried that you might harm yourself. I would advice talking to the Samaritans, you can find their details here: http://www.samaritans.org/ and can get in touch with them via email, call or text. If you text of email they will usually be in contact within a few hours. If you would like to speak to them on the phone but don't feel able to call them I can call them for you and ask them to call you back. If this is something that you would be interested in please send me a private message.

I am going to close this thread now, this is not because we don't want to help or support you but because people can post some very hurtful comments in threads of this nature. If you want to talk about this sort of thing the Samaritans would definitely be a good place to start.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads