Biology question on synapses! Watch

Cheeese589
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey

I need help.... with synapses, the arrival of an action potential at the synaptic knob causes calcium channels to open and calcium ions to enter the synaptic knob, is this by diffusion? the book is vague :/ im guessing yes?

Similarly does the acetlycholine diffuse across the synaptic cleft? im guessing yes also, but i need someone to confirm it,

thanks alot !
Clumsy_Chemist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm too tired to reach across to my biology book, but as far as I know yes it's diffusion if it's using an embedded channel protein then I think it's "facilitated diffusion". If it were active transport instead they'd be talking about "pumps" not "channels"
Revd. Mike
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cheeese589)
Hey

I need help.... with synapses, the arrival of an action potential at the synaptic knob causes calcium channels to open and calcium ions to enter the synaptic knob, is this by diffusion? the book is vague :/ im guessing yes?

Similarly does the acetlycholine diffuse across the synaptic cleft? im guessing yes also, but i need someone to confirm it,

thanks alot !
Ca2+ concentration outside the cell (and within intracellular stores) is around 1000uM/1mM, whereas within the cytosol it's as little as 100nM; this provides a huge concentration gradient. When the depolarization arrives at the synaptic knob it opens the Ca2+ channels, allowing Ca2+ rapid entry.
Clumsy_Chemist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Revd. Mike)
Ca2+ concentration outside the cell (and within intracellular stores) is around 1000uM/1mM, whereas within the cytosol it's as little as 100nM; this provides a huge concentration gradient. When the depolarization arrives at the synaptic knob it opens the Ca2+ channels, allowing Ca2+ rapid entry.
The question was whether this is diffusion, is it?
Bslforever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Clumsy_Chemist)
Lol, what the good Revd. was trying to say in plain english was yes.

Yes it is.
Revd. Mike
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Clumsy_Chemist)
Via calcium channels.
Vib-Rib
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its a combination of diffusion (facilitated diffusion) and electrostatic repulsion. I think it's too simple at A level too say it's just diffusion you have to understand that the positively charged Ca is forced away from other positively charged ions.
Revd. Mike
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Vib-Rib)
Its a combination of diffusion (facilitated diffusion) and electrostatic repulsion. I think it's too simple at A level too say it's just diffusion you have to understand that the positively charged Ca is forced away from other positively charged ions.
Entry of Ca2+ into the cell isn't terribly complicated once the channels have opened. There's an overwhelming electrochemical gradient across the membrane.
Rainbow249
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Both are diffusions, yes.
John Locke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
where is there facilitated diffusion? its predominantly the opening of Cav2.2 channels carrying an N-type current that allows movement of calcium from its high extracellular concentration into the low concentration in the bouton.
Vib-Rib
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by John Locke)
where is there facilitated diffusion? its predominantly the opening of Cav2.2 channels carrying an N-type current that allows movement of calcium from its high extracellular concentration into the low concentration in the bouton.
Ummmmm big words......

Isn't facilitated diffusion when something diffuses through a protein channel in the cell membrane and when the protein channel only lets one type of molecule, ion etc. through?

Is that not what happens during an action potential?
John Locke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ummmmm big words......

Isn't facilitated diffusion when something diffuses through a protein channel in the cell membrane and when the protein channel only lets one type of molecule, ion etc. through?

Is that not what happens during an action potential?
reviewing my own definition of facilitated diffusion (FD) i suppose it is, i normally only really think of it being FD when conformational changes are involved but channels are count i guess. Once you get past A level nobody ever really talks about those kinds of definitions. not too sure about the single ion/molecule definition though, for example muscle subtype inotropic acetylcholine receptors (the main type involved in excitation-contraction coupling at the neuromuscular junction) are only cation selective not specific to say Na+. yet those are protein channels and so would be considered in the same category as a Ca++ channel?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.14%
No - but I will (41)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (281)
46.6%

Watched Threads