30-year-old mum wants to study medicine Watch

flashnazia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Am I mad?

Hi, am a newbie and would be very grateful for some advice.

As the title: 30-year-old with a 3-year-old and I want to be a doctor!

I have tried to forget about this 'pipedream' but I just can't get it out of my head.

During my GCSE's I wanted to do it but had zero support. My parents then took me abroad against my wishes so I missed out one year of my GCSEs.

Still managed to scrape 5 Bs (in the important subjects) and 2 Cs (derisory in my opinion).

Picked A Levels - Maths, physics, chem and further maths.

My mum saw my timetable and made me drop one as she didn't want me to do four subjects (she needed me at home).

I decided to drop chem as I was finding it a bit boring and the tutor wasn't very good.

That is when I had to drop the idea. Mum got pregnant in second year of A levels so again, scraped Physics (C), Maths (A), Further maths (D) - mum went into labour day before final exams for this.

Didn't go to uni - parents weren't supportive.

So there we are! Spent the next 12 years working, the last 6 in the voluntary sector but cuts are starting to bite and I may be redundant on sept.

I don't mean to ramble but needed to give background. Also don't mean to paint my folks as complete ogres - they do love me but have problems of their own, depression etc. They now do the childcare for free while I'm at work so not all bad.

So, my concerns if I follow this 'mad' path at this age - sorry - stage!

School run, time with child etc I have no idea what the timetable is like.

costs, esp now that tuition fees are up. partner and I are both on low income and he will be the main breadwinner but may also have to do school run etc meaning he may have to limit his hours too. How will I pay travel fees, and tuition fees especially?

I would only be able to study at Leeds - I know that really limits my options but I have no flexibility to travel further. They have an access course that I am enquiring about.

Lack of medical work exp.

Why do I want to be a doctor? Well, primarily, I love to have a go at solving problems and I like to advise and help others. My mother-in-law suffered from bowel cancer and I went with her to appointments to try and 'interpret' what the doctor was saying (not because of language - she speaks good English) but because the doctor was speaking gobbledegook as far as she was concerned and she was scared etc.

I was drawing diagrams of bowel etc to try and explain to wider family.

My sis just had some probs with blighted ovum and related gynae stuff. Again drew a diagram to explain to others who didn't understand.

I have loads of books of family medicine, etc.

The human bodys - its reactions etc- fascinate me and I want to harness this interest and use it with my other interest - helping people - so that I can make a difference.

Phew!
Nutta!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by flashnazia)
Am I mad?

I have tried to forget about this 'pipedream' but I just can't get it out of my head.

During my GCSE's I wanted to do it but had zero support. My parents then took me abroad against my wishes so I missed out one year of my GCSEs.

Still managed to scrape 5 Bs (in the important subjects) and 2 Cs (derisory in my opinion).

My mum saw my timetable and made me drop one as she didn't want me to do four subjects (she needed me at home).

I decided to drop chem as I was finding it a bit boring and the tutor wasn't very good.

That is when I had to drop the idea. Mum got pregnant in second year of A levels so again, scraped Physics (C), Maths (A), Further maths (D) - mum went into labour day before final exams for this.

So there we are! Spent the next 12 years working, the last 6 in the voluntary sector but cuts are starting to bite and I may be redundant on sept.

I don't mean to ramble but needed to give background. Also don't mean to paint my folks as complete ogres - they do love me but have problems of their own, depression etc. They now do the childcare for free while I'm at work so not all bad.

costs, esp now that tuition fees are up. partner and I are both on low income and he will be the main breadwinner but may also have to do school run etc meaning he may have to limit his hours too. How will I pay travel fees, and tuition fees especially?

I would only be able to study at Leeds - I know that really limits my options but I have no flexibility to travel further. They have an access course that I am enquiring about.

Why do I want to be a doctor? Well, primarily, I love to have a go at solving problems and I like to advise and help others. My mother-in-law suffered from bowel cancer and I went with her to appointments to try and 'interpret' what the doctor was saying (not because of language - she speaks good English) but because the doctor was speaking gobbledegook as far as she was concerned and she was scared etc.

My sis just had some probs with blighted ovum and related gynae stuff. Again drew a diagram to explain to others who didn't understand.

The human bodys - its reactions etc- fascinate me and I want to harness this interest and use it with my other interest - helping people - so that I can make a difference.

Phew!
I would do an intensive A level course and get top marks in these.

Then apply.

Do Chem, Bio, and 2 other a levels you haven't done before.

Do a transfer course maybe? But I would do A levels though- I do the acess course near Leeds as well
canimakeit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never too late, I think many universities will even like mature students as they tend to be fully focused more so than the average student fresh from school.
Madprof
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd phone up Leeds and ask them about your situation. And about the bursaries they have. Is there any chance of applying anywhere else too?

Obviously you do need to approach this with a bit of common sense and realism but it's not as dire as Swayum thinks. Plenty of Mums study medicine successfully. Grades are less important for mature students/access courses, though each place has its own requirements.

About fees, ask the student loans company. As you've never had a loan from them before, I think they'll lend to you, and judging from all the questions on the application form about dependants and income, they take circumstances into account. And Leeds may have bursaries too. But I'm no expert ... ask them!
DonFahad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
stfu swayum u talk crap
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you would need to at least consider some of the other Yorkshire Med Schools, HYMS would be within travelling distance for you if you placed at Hull or York and i think Sheffield is fairly easy to reach by train from Leeds? Pinning all your hopes on just one med school might leave you disappointed
confuchaz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
on the course i'm going to, there are plenty of people, some who its their 5th degree and have kids. theres is absolutely no problem with your circumstances, and plenty of other people have been able to make it work.

maybe consider an access course though? theres quite a few around, southampton, uea etc.. just research them all and see whether they will consider you. you may be able to be taken on to a course that will give you a pre medicine year where you learn intensive science that you'll need the next year.
Egypt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you forget about all the entry requirements and the actual course, how do you feel about moving around for work after? I graduated in London and have worked in Gloucester, Bath, Abergavenny and now Newport to make sure I stay in work and do the training I want. Some people do stay in just one spot but these are few and far between from my experience.

I wouldnt about the age thing, lots of people are much older than school keavers when they start, the oldest when I was at uni started at 48.

If I were you I would get some work experience to see what it's actually lie and then contact universities you think you would go to to discuss routes of entry and academic requirements.

If you're really sure this is what you want then go for it and good luck!
Egypt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jhnj92)
From what my ICT teacher told me at GCSE, they appoint younger candidates for courses because insurance costs (or tax, I really cannot remember) whilst they are employed are considerably less than those who are older.
Think your teacher is talking nonsense!
username356927
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Am I mad?

Phew!
Hi there,

I'm sure you realize that it is very difficult to obtain a place studying medicine and you should be prepared to work very hard....and to perhaps be disappointed along the road.

Have a look here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Medical_School

For a run down on what you need to do to further your ambition. The key things for you will be getting the grades, shown here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

And obtaining medically related work experience/volunteering, to look good on the form and also to help you decide if medicine is really for you
theatrical
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey. Firstly, don't let age put you off. As for your other circumstances, they can all be overcome. You'll be by no means the eldest person on your course - I think the eldest on mine will be 44 when we graduate next year and he has kids.

As for tuition fees, I'm pretty sure, as you've never been to university before, you won't have to pay them up front. The student loans company will give you a tuition fee loan (which they just pay directly to the university) and you pay it back in much the same way as you pay tax, straight out of your income. Repayments are income-linked, so if you lose your job/have to give up work, your repayments stop also. After 25 years it all gets written-off. Student loans for living costs work in exacty the same way.

I know at Leeds, the first two years (pre-clinical) aren't too intense time or work-wise. Clinicals (years 3-5) do tend to be pretty intense wherever you go.

If I were you, I'd email the medical schools you're interested in and see what they say. They'll advise you on the best qualifications to take to make you eligible to apply.
The-Real-One
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Am I mad?
Spoiler:
Show
YOU MAD!

Cyanohydrin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can you really expect to be a doctor with no flexibility to travel? Egypt has a good point - with the increasing competition for training posts you have to travel around the UK, let alone around the West Yorkshire area. What about the clinical years, you won't solely be based in Leeds (although it will be in West Yorks) if you get in...

I think only being able to go to Leeds Medical School is very unrealistic - I think that if you want to do medicine then you have to accept you may have to attend a different medical school (remember getting one offer is a large achievement).

I'm being totally honest - I'm not trying to be a ****.

Best of luck.
Subcutaneous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

Going to sound random but have you considered nursing? You work in health (obviously) and although it's not as heavy science based you still need a good grounding on anatomy and physiology, pharmacology etc - and you're dealing much mire heavily in the broader aspect of a patient. However it may be a more stable career, no reason to move around and you get a lot more financial support. Along with flexible hours-and with the average age of a student nurse 29, more of your peers are in a similar situation.

Obviously if medicine is THE dream- go for it and follow it! However if you want to work in healthcare in generally I would advise nursing as an alternative option with more benefits for someone in your position! (plus the pay when you graduate isn't half bad! )
Egypt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by theatrical)
How come the neg?! I wasn't aware of selection of medical applicants being made on age, insurance or tax costs?!
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
Hi,

Going to sound random but have you considered nursing? You work in health (obviously) and although it's not as heavy science based you still need a good grounding on anatomy and physiology, pharmacology etc - and you're dealing much mire heavily in the broader aspect of a patient. However it may be a more stable career, no reason to move around and you get a lot more financial support. Along with flexible hours-and with the average age of a student nurse 29, more of your peers are in a similar situation.

Obviously if medicine is THE dream- go for it and follow it! However if you want to work in healthcare in generally I would advise nursing as an alternative option with more benefits for someone in your position! (plus the pay when you graduate isn't half bad! )
I'm sorry, but the claim that nurses are paid 'ok' salaries is nonsense. They easily get a very poor end of the bargain. People don't go into nursing for the money, whereas they may with medicine.
infernalcradle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Am I mad?

Phew!
SGUL do a 6yr medicine course that would be ideal for you and requires no actual qualifications.....

look into it and I think you'll find you're perfect for it
PendulumBoB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Am I mad?

Phew!
1. Study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and possibly Physics or something else to stand out

2. Frickin' ace the exams

3. Go to med school, or if it doesn't happen study BioChem and do a conversion course at the end.

You're young, so it really is still worth doing
flashnazia
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies. Some of them have been most helpful esp the ones about older applicants on other people's courses - made me feel much better!

I've asked for info from Leeds about their next open day in June - hopefully that will give me some more insight. Can anyone give me some pointers on the best dept to contact for more info; is it the medical dept direct?

I realise that I am severely limiting myself but I can't uproot my family and Leeds is the easiest place to get to from the rural-ish place I live in - still half-hour train ride away on rickety half-hourly trains!

Not sure if Bradford do it too but that will be reachable by car only and don't think my budget can cope with the petrol and parking plus driving hassle.

So thanks again for taking the time to help me (those that have added something constructive that is, I noticed there were a few nutty posts that have been deleted- made me laugh though!)
flashnazia
Rep:
?
Hi again
Can somebody tell me about UKCAT? Is there a thread with all the info? What is it and who is it for?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.44%
No - but I will (67)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (409)
47.56%

Watched Threads