Can I switch courses ? Watch

Little-Miss-Sunshine48
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi there,

I've finally decided to choose UCL as my firm for entry in 2011.

However, I currently have an offer for IMB (Information Management for Business) and would like to switch to straight economics.

Is it ''doable'' ? Do I have to wait until I get my results or do I have to ask for it now?

I am an International student and my predicted grades match the typical entry requirements for economics.
arcl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It can be done. If the department(s) allows it is a different matter, I've usually seen people on courses more closely related swap.

Email the admission tutors for IMB and Economics and ask.
threeportdrift
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Little-Miss-Sunshine48)
Hi there,

I've finally decided to choose UCL as my firm for entry in 2011.

However, I currently have an offer for IMB (Information Management for Business) and would like to switch to straight economics.

Is it ''doable'' ? Do I have to wait until I get my results or do I have to ask for it now?

I am an International student and my predicted grades match the typical entry requirements for economics.
Highly unlikely. Economics is one of the most over-subscribed courses at UCL with the most competitive entry requirements. Matching the typical entry requirements isn't likely to be enough.
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Unlikely, they're probably full. In the maths department they'd only let you switch within the department, no one could switch into it.
Rofl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
Unlikely, they're probably full. In the maths department they'd only let you switch within the department, no one could switch into it.
Really? But wouldn't it be dependent on how good your grades were on entry and other discretionary factors? Say, if you got 5A* and wanted to switch to Economics from Maths, they would still dismiss the transfer?
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rofl)
Really? But wouldn't it be dependent on how good your grades were on entry and other discretionary factors? Say, if you got 5A* and wanted to switch to Economics from Maths, they would still dismiss the transfer?
This is what I've heard from an admissions tutor yes, it may not be the case this year, you need to contact your department. Really asking on here is so stupid when you can just email them.
Panda Vinnie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
First thing they'll look at is if you meet the minimum requirements for that course, and of course have the compulsory subjects.

If you do, they'll ask you to justify the move and provide an explanation. You will need a very (VERY!) strong case to justify a move to a completely different department.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (515)
37.56%
No - but I will (107)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise