Would Uni's in clearing be more lenient towards lowering their entry requirements? Watch

JamesM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Say for example, the Uni in question was asking for "BBC" but the person only had "BCC" would they be a little lenient towards the grade requirement through clearing? Also, I would be a "mature student" this September, so would they take that into account as well?
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JamesM)
Say for example, the Uni in question was asking for "BBC" but the person only had "BCC" would they be a little lenient towards the grade requirement through clearing? Also, I would be a "mature student" this September, so would they take that into account as well?
The might be, it depends what sort of competition they're holding you up against. If it's an unpopular course and you're the only one who's enquiring, they may well be lenient; if it's quite a popular course and people with BBC or higher were enquiring as well as you, they're not likely to be lenient unless you're a brilliant talker on the phone (because you contact admissions directly, you can get lucky, talk to the person in charge and 'talk' your way into uni.)

As for the mature student, probably not. If you're not classed as mature now, it's unlikely a couple of months will make much difference. Mature students sometimes have very different applications, but if you're a mature student by that narrow a window, doubtful that they'll consider you much differently.
username494912
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Like the above poster says, it really does depend on how popular the course is. Chances are, yes, they will be more lenient with their entry requirements if they haven't made up the numbers. At the end of the day, Universities have targets to meet and need bums in seats.
JamesM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
The might be, it depends what sort of competition they're holding you up against. If it's an unpopular course and you're the only one who's enquiring, they may well be lenient; if it's quite a popular course and people with BBC or higher were enquiring as well as you, they're not likely to be lenient unless you're a brilliant talker on the phone (because you contact admissions directly, you can get lucky, talk to the person in charge and 'talk' your way into uni.)

As for the mature student, probably not. If you're not classed as mature now, it's unlikely a couple of months will make much difference. Mature students sometimes have very different applications, but if you're a mature student by that narrow a window, doubtful that they'll consider you much differently.
No, I am actually a mature student now.
Intriguing Alias
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JamesM)
Yep. My brother got onto a BCC course with a CDE through clearing. They massively lower their requirements.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hassi94)
Yep. My brother got onto a BCC course with a CDE through clearing. They massively lower their requirements.
Not always, although obviously good news that they did for your brother.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads