About Hong Kong? Watch

Ruvermillion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm thinking about going there this summer for a week or more. I was wondering:
-Is it like tokyo where there are buildings and neon lights everywhere?
-How clean is it?
-Do the people understand basic english?
-Is the shopping there good

or any other advice is good
rlumorrell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Shopping is amazing, they all speak good english and its very clean!
Panda Vinnie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's an amazing place, one of the most magnificent in the far east.

Very similar to Tokyo, except it's more dense so there are even more high-rising skyscrapers!
Plus the main part is along the coast so it's like a super-modern marina.

Great food, great shopping, great hotels, VERY clean!
yahyahyahs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ruvermillion)
Kinda - Central and Causeway Bay are big tourist/shopping/restaurant areas, but as you move away from there, it gets quieter.
-How clean is it?
Really clean - there's always a street cleaner somewhere and the subway is one of the best. You'll get fined if you eat or drink on the subway and there's automated doors, so no chance of falling onto the track during rush hour.
Yes, although you might want to ask the hotel concierge to write down places you want to go to in Chinese characters, in case communication is shaky.
Good? It's brilliant and cheap! But beware, it's very hard to return/exchange stuff, so make sure you try stuff on.

It is the best place on earth - it has everything!
Curly_hair_girl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have to add cheap clothes shops don't let you try things on.
Yes, Hong Kong is known for its lights.
Very clean, always a cleaner around, hand gel is always close by and there is sometimes signs telling you how to wash your hands.
You shouldn't have a problem getting around even though english is a bit shakey if you are trying to order food and asking something a bit more complex than 'how much it is.'
Shopping is good, I don't know of a place where there is more places to shop.
Aphalleon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes it is very similar to Tokyo. It is extremely clean and shopping is excellent. It truly is Asia's world city!
EssexDan86
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Greatest city in the world - skyscrapers, shops, nightlife, beaches, sights, scenery, harbour, islands, culture, diversity, food etc etc. LOVE IT!
LaughingBro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you heard of Google?
INeedToLoseWeight
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's awesome I loved it there!! The food is incredible, and you've got to watch the laser show at night!!
Johnny Luk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Amazing place, great night life, incredible food, fantastic culture and a great hub to go explore other parts of Asia, go go go! I miss it ><
ElectricWizard
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Absinth)
Expect people to suck up to you if you're white.
Could you expand on this a little, please?

Do you mean people will try to sell things to you in the street or...?
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
-How clean is it?

1. Skyscrapers and neon lights galore. Epic to wander the streets after dark and view of Victoria Harbour is magnificent. Beats Tokyo's neon lights, hands down. Good areas for wandering with bright lights: Tsim Tsa Tsui (esp Nathan Road and the side streets e.g. Argyle Street. The whole area is busy and bustling and bright), Causeway Bay, Mong Kok.

2. Variable. Quite polluted and poor quality air. Touristy areas can be very clean, but the mean streets, less so. It can be smelly every now and again due to the density of various restaurants and Chinese medicine shops, do not be alarmed. The streets are not clean, but no worse than London/the tube imo. It's just hotter and more smelly and "foreign"

3. Yes. All road signs + public transport are in English. Old people are less likely to speak English, but most young people can speak some English, though they might be shy! English is taught in schools and was the 2nd official language. In touristy places and top hotels/restaurants they will def speak good English, elsewhere people will speak sufficient English to get by.

4. Yes. Shopping paradise. I go to HK regularly and love to shop there. Don't forget there is no sales tax in HK.

There are many many malls all over HK which range from designer to local market malls. You can shop for any budget. Nice designer stores include Lane Crawford (has a few branches). HKers love designer labels and you can buy pretty much any major label. Upmarket mall = Pacific Place, Admiralty MTR station mostly high end designer. The malls around Tsim Tsa Tsui are more mid market. The malls and markets in Mong Kok are mid / lower end. If you like cute things and factory knock offs, Fa Yuen St in Mong Kong has various stalls and mini shops with young trendy clothes, with the odd branded item from say, Abercrombie or similar.

Also recommended are cosmetics! Reputable chains include SaSa, ColorMix and a few others. They sell an array of Japanese/Asian and Western cosmetics. Some amazing products to be found. Also sell hard to find Asian brands of high end cosmetics which are very good quality. Sometimes have good deals on high end brands e.g. Dior. Perfume prices sometimes good too.

And don't forget eating!! If you eat one thing, make it dim sum or "yam cha".

Also check out the HK tourism board website, it has lots of useful info. Worth visiting the HKTB shops for leaflets and advice. Staff speak perfect English and can help book things and are really helpful. Definitely look at the leaflets as they organize special events for tourists e.g. boat rides around the harbour in a junk
yahyahyahs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ElectricWizard)
Could you expand on this a little, please?

Do you mean people will try to sell things to you in the street or...?
HKers love foreign people - especially those with English accents. I was asked to say random words in English by this eccentric taxi driver.
yahyahyahs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
1. Skyscrapers and neon lights galore. Epic to wander the streets after dark and view of Victoria Harbour is magnificent. Beats Tokyo's neon lights, hands down. Good areas for wandering with bright lights: Tsim Tsa Tsui (esp Nathan Road and the side streets e.g. Argyle Street. The whole area is busy and bustling and bright), Causeway Bay, Mong Kok.

2. Variable. Quite polluted and poor quality air. Touristy areas can be very clean, but the mean streets, less so. It can be smelly every now and again due to the density of various restaurants and Chinese medicine shops, do not be alarmed. The streets are not clean, but no worse than London/the tube imo. It's just hotter and more smelly and "foreign"

3. Yes. All road signs + public transport are in English. Old people are less likely to speak English, but most young people can speak some English, though they might be shy! English is taught in schools and was the 2nd official language. In touristy places and top hotels/restaurants they will def speak good English, elsewhere people will speak sufficient English to get by.

4. Yes. Shopping paradise. I go to HK regularly and love to shop there. Don't forget there is no sales tax in HK.

There are many many malls all over HK which range from designer to local market malls. You can shop for any budget. Nice designer stores include Lane Crawford (has a few branches). HKers love designer labels and you can buy pretty much any major label. Upmarket mall = Pacific Place, Admiralty MTR station mostly high end designer. The malls around Tsim Tsa Tsui are more mid market. The malls and markets in Mong Kok are mid / lower end. If you like cute things and factory knock offs, Fa Yuen St in Mong Kong has various stalls and mini shops with young trendy clothes, with the odd branded item from say, Abercrombie or similar.

Also recommended are cosmetics! Reputable chains include SaSa, ColorMix and a few others. They sell an array of Japanese/Asian and Western cosmetics. Some amazing products to be found. Also sell hard to find Asian brands of high end cosmetics which are very good quality. Sometimes have good deals on high end brands e.g. Dior. Perfume prices sometimes good too.

And don't forget eating!! If you eat one thing, make it dim sum or "yam cha".

Also check out the HK tourism board website, it has lots of useful info. Worth visiting the HKTB shops for leaflets and advice. Staff speak perfect English and can help book things and are really helpful. Definitely look at the leaflets as they organize special events for tourists e.g. boat rides around the harbour in a junk
No need for rip-off Abercrombie anymore - they're opening a new store where Shanghai Tang is/used to be (I don't know if they've closed) on Pedder Street!

Also, for really cheap shopping, stop off at the giant Outlet Mall on the way back from visiting the giant Buddha.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yahyahyahs)
No need for rip-off Abercrombie anymore - they're opening a new store where Shanghai Tang is/used to be (I don't know if they've closed) on Pedder Street!

Also, for really cheap shopping, stop off at the giant Outlet Mall on the way back from visiting the giant Buddha.
But sometimes your <18 yo self just wants some <£10 Abercrombie

Wha?? Shanghai Tang closed?? When? Why? Has it moved or gone?

The Outlet Mall is OK, but not that great in terms of stock or prices.

Bicester Village nr Oxford is better

OP: Stanley is nice to visit. Seaside, pretty, restaurants, beach, market etc
littlehobbit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can't say I've ever been to Tokyo, but Hong Kong was absolutely gorgeous! So much to do and see, views that look completely different in the day, and the night! Ferries, tubes, trains, taxis, and so cheap! I had an awesome time, definitely worth it
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In some ways Hong Kong is more bling bling than Tokyo is, at the very least it's more concentrated (most of Tokyo isn't all shiny lights & billboards). I'd agree with No Future, although I didn't find their English to be very good personally.
Jedbrien
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. Hong Kong is amazing, clean and is very similar to Tokyo. I suggest you go there!
Lifeslikethis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I live in HK so i can answer ur questions.

Yes. The views are beautiful at night in some places. Also, the night life is amazing.

-How clean is it?
Well, i wouldn't say it's clean here. You know it's kinda hard to keep a city clean where has a huge number of population.

I'd say 50%. It sounds funny but some people here would step back or walk away when they see a foreigner trying to ask them for help. Some people just don't understand english. But still there are people who understand english and willing to help tourists.

Yes!!! Hong Kong is said to be shopping paradise. I love shopping lol.
From cheap to expensive, just depends on where you shop.

I'd love to help if you got other questions about Hong Kong!

PS Hotels here are a bit more expensive than those in other asia countries.
De Lubac
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
-How clean is it?

Some parts of it are a bit like Tokyo, with the big buildings and Neon lights, whereas other parts are quieter, although most of it is multi story buildings!

It is quite clean, some of it is quite bad, I would say it is similar to london, but probably slightly worse.

Almost all the people there speak very good english (at least, most of the people you are likely to bump into, such as people in shops and restaurants) it was 'owned' by the UK until 1997, when it was handed back to China.

The shopping is good, cheaper than England for almost everythings (although my Uncle managed to buy a £100 melon, no one is sure how, but he says it tastes amazing and bought it out of curiosity...) particularly electronic things, but you can also get cheap goods/food.

I lived there for almost 5 years and loved it, although I will warn you that the food isn't too much like western Chinese food! As it is coastal there is a lot more sea food, and there are also amazing boat trips you can take to small islands, many of which have amazing and cheap restaurants! But, for a westerner visiting China, it is very good, as it has the right balance of western and local things, so you should be comfortable in most of the City/Island, whilst still able to experience amazing aspects of the culture! Also, parts of it are beautiful (particularly the peak district, although I am slightly biased as I lived there!).

Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise