This discussion is closed.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The only time when I passed out when I forced my body to go with about 4 hours of sleep in 48 hours. I kept myself awake with caffine tablets.
TK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
If she's diabetic or has any problems w/ her blood sugar she needs to see a doctor, home testing is just a guideline to where your sugar is at, you have to go and take a proper blood sugar test, meaning you fast for at least 12 hours and they draw blood from the vein not the finger tip.
oh right. thank you infinity. you've been really helpful. i'm just worried because before my friend was diagnosed she kept going to the doctor saying she was ill and he said she was fine and definitely wasn't diabetic. then she went in a coma for 2 days and was diagnosed. one of the main problems is me needing the loo ALL the time - it's really embarrassing at times and i can't do a 3 hour exam (even if i don't drink anyting at alkl before) without going to the toilet in the middle.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
When I'm really tired (I get insomnia and cant sleep even tho my body is tired) the room sometimes starts spinning and then I go giddy and pass out.

Do you drink much caffeine? That affects me. I had drunk some of a certain caffeine drink that gives you wings and then I had to take my friend to casualty because she had an asthma attack. i felt myself go really dizzy and passed out in the middle of the casualty department I couldnt have been more embarassed. its just a good job it didnt happen when I was driving. The doctor thought it must have been the excess caffeine because I had no alcohol. i've never drunk caffeine drinks since except for tea and coffee and its never happened again.
Yeah those drinks are not good for you, I call it speed in a can. I drank one once and I was all shaky for a couple hours. Not good at all.
TK
Rep:
?
When I'm really tired (I get insomnia and cant sleep even tho my body is tired) the room sometimes starts spinning and then I go giddy and pass out.

Do you drink much caffeine? That affects me. I had drunk some of a certain caffeine drink that gives you wings and then I had to take my friend to casualty because she had an asthma attack. i felt myself go really dizzy and passed out in the middle of the casualty department I couldnt have been more embarassed. its just a good job it didnt happen when I was driving. The doctor thought it must have been the excess caffeine because I had no alcohol. i've never drunk caffeine drinks since except for tea and coffee and its never happened again.
no i hardly have any caffeine. i also faint at blood and needles - things like that, which has only started happening over the last 2 years - i used to be fine with things like that. it's really strange
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
oh right. thank you infinity. you've been really helpful. i'm just worried because before my friend was diagnosed she kept going to the doctor saying she was ill and he said she was fine and definitely wasn't diabetic. then she went in a coma for 2 days and was diagnosed. one of the main problems is me needing the loo ALL the time - it's really embarrassing at times and i can't do a 3 hour exam (even if i don't drink anyting at alkl before) without going to the toilet in the middle.
See that's the problem the doctors see you as young and think nah, she can't have diabetes or whatever, they don't check thoroughly. My mom had to force the doctors to do the tests on me, and when they finally did they were like, Oh! She has low sugar, oh my! Another thing, if the first test doesn't show anything make sure they do another in a few days, mine didn't show up the first time. And don't change your eating habit's either, just eat as you normally do, until it is time to fast.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
no i hardly have any caffeine. i also faint at blood and needles - things like that, which has only started happening over the last 2 years - i used to be fine with things like that. it's really strange
Oh geeze, I still pass out from needles, low blood sugar or not. I hate needles.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hello, just out of interest, do you have any of the following signs and symptoms as well?
Weakness, drowsiness, excessively hunger, and dizziness.
Being confused or irritable. A pale complexion, mild trembling, feeling cold and clammy. Can you feel a rapid heartbeat sometimes?
TK
Rep:
?
See that's the problem the doctors see you as young and think nah, she can't have diabetes or whatever, they don't check thoroughly. My mom had to force the doctors to do the tests on me, and when they finally did they were like, Oh! She has low sugar, oh my! Another thing, if the first test doesn't show anything make sure they do another in a few days, mine didn't show up the first time. And don't change your eating habit's either, just eat as you normally do, until it is time to fast.
ok - thank you so much - you've really helped me. I'm really dreading Tuesday though I'm sure it can't be too bad coz my friend lived with it perfectly - she hated doing the injections though - i just think i'm gonna faint even more if i have to do injections everyday coz i can't stand needles.

thanks again though everyone

Love Katie
xxx
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I hope you get your problem sorted out. My sister went through a random prhase of fainting every where. The doctor put it down to stress, diet and lack of sleep. She is fine now. Her blood sugar level was probably wrong or somthing.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Hello, just out of interest, do you have any of the following signs and symptoms as well?
Being confused or irritable. A pale complexion, mild trembling, feeling cold and clammy. Can you feel a rapid heartbeat sometimes?
Umm, you do mean excessive thirst, right?
TK
Rep:
?
yes i have all those - i have all the symptoms of type 1 diabetes apart from weight loss - lucky 4 me lol - the only good symptom is the one i don't get. But yes the ones you've put there i definitely have all of, not so much the weakness, but definitely hunger, more thirsty though, cold and clammy, irritable, dizzy etc
TK
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I hope you get your problem sorted out. My sister went through a random prhase of fainting every where. The doctor put it down to stress, diet and lack of sleep. She is fine now. Her blood sugar level was probably wrong or somthing.
thanks
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I think that's usually the most common cause, you would'nt beleive how many things can affect your blood sugar.

Try not to wory too much about the injections, you probably won't have to do them, I never have. Usually just a change of diets is in order, I have to make sure to eat 5 small meals a day as opposed to 3 larger ones, and always eat something in the morning. You get used to it. It's rare for someone young to have to do injections or have full blown diabetes. So try not to think that way, cause if it's stress related it's not gonna help you.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
If you arent happy with your doctor you are entitled to a second opinion.

Does it affect you at certain times of the month? My cousin had problems with fainting and it turned out to be related to her menstural cycle.
TK
Rep:
?
If you arent happy with your doctor you are entitled to a second opinion.

Does it affect you at certain times of the month? My cousin had problems with fainting and it turned out to be related to her menstural cycle.
no it's pretty random - the doctor asked me that last time and he said he didn't think it was related to it
TK
Rep:
?
I think that's usually the most common cause, you would'nt beleive how many things can affect your blood sugar.

Try not to wory too much about the injections, you probably won't have to do them, I never have. Usually just a change of diets is in order, I have to make sure to eat 5 small meals a day as opposed to 3 larger ones, and always eat something in the morning. You get used to it. It's rare for someone young to have to do injections or have full blown diabetes. So try not to think that way, cause if it's stress related it's not gonna help you.
thanks. i'll try not to worry. it'll probably turn out to be something small. thank you again
xxx
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
no it's pretty random - the doctor asked me that last time and he said he didn't think it was related to it
maybe your blood is too thin - or perhaps a B12 deficiency
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hmmm..I wonder why they advise people not to seek diagnosis online..?
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Right!
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You know doctor, I've got this chest pain, can you give me some morphine?

BTW, is it true that in first year at med school, when you use the remains of 3rd year cadaevers, that you tend to find them rather messed about with?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (62)
19.38%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.06%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.44%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.88%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.56%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.06%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.75%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.5%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads