This discussion is closed.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by oanjum)
lol. (the way u said that, not the fact that u fainted)
ha trust me i wud not be offended if u laughed coz i fainted. after all all my family and friends totally ripped me! it didnt help that i fainted 15 minutes after arriving at my new job - production line worker it was freezing though
Infinity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
ha trust me i wud not be offended if u laughed coz i fainted. after all all my family and friends totally ripped me! it didnt help that i fainted 15 minutes after arriving at my new job - production line worker it was freezing though
I went out on my second day at the vet office, the doc was spaying a dog, and it never occured to me that he would reach inside with his hands and pull stuff out, well I watched him proceed to insert his hand, the room went dark and the next thing I know I'm on the damn floor.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
You know doctor, I've got this chest pain, can you give me some morphine?

BTW, is it true that in first year at med school, when you use the remains of 3rd year cadaevers, that you tend to find them rather messed about with?

Well our cadaver, who we've kindly named 'Maud', was cut in half over christmas so they could fit her in a decontamination bath (getting a bit mouldy). I wouldn't say they were the remains of the 3rd year though, as most of the anatomy teaching is done in Year 1/Year 2. We've now got a new friend, who we've deemed 'Maud 2'.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Infinity)
I went out on my second day at the vet office, the doc was spaying a dog, and it never occured to me that he would reach inside with his hands and pull stuff out, well I watched him proceed to insert his hand, the room went dark and the next thing I know I'm on the damn floor.
OK. Well think about the poor male dog!

What happened next?
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Cadavers 'last' quite a while - we dissected ours for a year.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Well our cadaver, who we've kindly named 'Maud', was cut in half over christmas so they could fit her in a decontamination bath (getting a bit mouldy). I wouldn't say they were the remains of the 3rd year though, as most of the anatomy teaching is done in Year 1/Year 2. We've now got a new friend, who we've deemed 'Maud 2'.
It's because a friend of mine told me how his cadaver's stomach was filled with ears.
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
what happened, did you slip?
TK
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
i fainted at the vet just because they gave my hamster an injection :rolleyes:
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
i fainted at the vet just because they gave my hamster an injection :rolleyes:
ok thts a little wimpy.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
It's because a friend of mine told me how his cadaver's stomach was filled with ears.
I couldn't see that happening at our med school, the demonstrators have, quite rightly, some ethical conscience! Interestingly, under the Anatomy Act you can be arrested if you take anything (specimen) out of the dissection room as well (so those stories of hearts being taken out to give to ppl on valentine's day are probably not true)
TK
Rep:
?
(Original post by ]{ingnik)
ok thts a little wimpy.
i know - i don't get it - i wasnt even watching
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
OK. Well think about the poor male dog!

What happened next?
Spayed! Not Neutered! Female dog.
Umm, the doc told me to shake it off, and hand him the forceps.
No he told me to go on break, and not too worry as everyone goes out at least once.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
(so those stories of hearts being taken out to give to ppl on valentine's day are probably not true)
Well, I never heard if that story.

Anyway, is it like pretty nasty seeing a cadaver? Nobody get a bit dizzy? Like sick? Do you get to dissect them yourself?

And about the needles. Do you pratice them on yourself?
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yes, the anatomy act is rightfully very strict. It's a great 'priviledge' to be able to learn anatomy via dissection - it's becoming rarer these days, and medical schools are literally fighting to keep their DR's open. I think medstudents all too often forget this and can come across as disrespectful.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Spayed! Not Neutered! Female dog.
Sorry, but I was thionking about my biology teacher, who referred to the fact that she had "popped" a dog's testicle out before during surgery.

*Shivers*
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No, it's not 'nasty' seeing a cadaver. Dissection is a surreal experience and you have to get over the 'it's a person' thing. Having said that, it's absolutely fascinating. I didnt't feel faint at all, though have seen others faint.

As for taking blood - yes, we practise on each other.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
yes, the anatomy act is rightfully very strict. It's a great 'priviledge' to be able to learn anatomy via dissection - it's becoming rarer these days, and medical schools are literally fighting to keep their DR's open. I think medstudents all too often forget this and can come across as disrespectful.
When you graduate uni, do you have a job from the NHS waiting for you? Like readily assigned? Or do you have to like apply. How much would you earn?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Well, I never heard if that story.

Anyway, is it like pretty nasty seeing a cadaver? Nobody get a bit dizzy? Like sick? Do you get to dissect them yourself?

And about the needles. Do you pratice them on yourself?
The first time it can be a bit unusual, if you've seen surgery on work experience or stuff on TV like that public autopsy, it helps. They tend to ease you in gradually and don't show the head and the whole body in one swoop. Eventually, most medics resort to the ultimate defense mechanism...humour.
And yes, some people did feel sick the first time, but only a couple in the year. They are still with us, so no real problems!
We have them dissected for us by anatomy demonstrators this year, but in the third year we can choose to to a special study module on dissection and be let loose on it then.
And it's far to early in my course even to be looking at needles, lol.
TK
Rep:
?
*feels faint*

*screen starts to go black - head begins to drop*
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
*feels faint*

*screen starts to go black - head begins to drop*
:eek: lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (65)
18.9%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.83%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.94%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.2%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.93%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.26%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.78%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.49%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.33%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.74%

Watched Threads