This discussion is closed.
joyabbott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Forgot to say... At Notts we dissect ourselves. However, some medschools simply use prosecions where the cadaveric material has already been prepared.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
As for taking blood - yes, we practise on each other.
But wouldn't it be better practise on yourself, as you would not keep pain for other people? And is it a bit painful taking blood from like people who hasn't done it before?

And the taking blood from the wrist (artery?), close to the bone. It is apparently really hurtful. And you do that to each other?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
When you graduate uni, do you have a job from the NHS waiting for you? Like readily assigned? Or do you have to like apply. How much would you earn?

Yes, you are guaranteed a job as a House Officer (most junior doctor) if you graduate from medical school. There are matching schemes in place to match you up with suitable jobs, usually in the surrounding area. You do have to apply for the jobs you want, and usually the 'best' jobs (i.e. competitive hospitals, well known consultants) go to the people with the best exam results, best CVs and who give the best interviews.
I think the average salary for the first year after med school is about £25/28K
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Forgot to say... At Notts we dissect ourselves. However, some medschools simply use prosecions where the cadaveric material has already been prepared.
You dissect yourselves? Now that is cutting back on Nottingham's budget!
TK
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
nite nite everyone - thanks for all your help on this thread

love katie
xxx
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)

love katie
xxx
Goodnight!! And don't worry, it's probably something trivial.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)

love katie
xxx
good night
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Yes, you are guaranteed a job as a House Officer (most junior doctor) if you graduate from medical school. There are matching schemes in place to match you up with suitable jobs, usually in the surrounding area. You do have to apply for the jobs you want, and usually the 'best' jobs (i.e. competitive hospitals, well known consultants) go to the people with the best exam results, best CVs and who give the best interviews.
I think the average salary for the first year after med school is about £25/28K
My plan mapped out:

Graduate from a respectable university, go to HO, work a long time, hard graft. Then SHO, work for longer time. Get a flashy car ( all SHOs have flashy cars). Go to a small hospital to apply for Consultanship. Once you are a consultant, then it is easier to then move to a big hospital. Rather than working upwwards in a big hospital towards a consultantship.
TK
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Goodnight!! And don't worry, it's probably something trivial.
thanks - i hope so - i'll let you know after tues anyway. nite xxx
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lol - i recommend dissection though. Learnt far more from DIY than from prosections (and no, I'm not planning on a career in surgery)

You can't take blood from yourself... it's not technically possible (not venous blood anyway). We have 'models' in the clinical skills lab from which we can 'practise', though they're not very realistic. A bit unfair to inflict pain on poor patients, therefore medsctudents are the guinea pigs,

Notts has a matching scheme. Guaranteed a House Officer job when I graduate (in 2006!!!). Starting salary is approx 25k though varies according to overtime bands etc. Also likely to alter due to the Euro Working Directive.
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Sorry, but I was thionking about my biology teacher, who referred to the fact that she had "popped" a dog's testicle out before during surgery.

*Shivers*
You shold see them do a cat.
Little incission, squeeze and pop it out, cut open the sack membrane, clamp it, snip, snip, Tie alittle knot, and repeat with the other one. Looks real painful!
Wow, you look alittle pale there, you ok, umm 2776?
Can someone pick him up off the floor?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
My plan mapped out:

Graduate from a respectable university, go to HO, work a long time, hard graft. Then SHO, work for longer time. Get a flashy car ( all SHOs have flashy cars). Go to a small hospital to apply for Consultanship. Once you are a consultant, then it is easier to then move to a big hospital. Rather than working upwwards in a big hospital towards a consultantship.
It all depends on what speciality you go in to. Also, consultancy posts in the top hospitals often go to registrars who have trained in equally 'excellent' hospitals. If there was an easy way to go about it, I'm sure the hundreds of doctors waiting for consultancy posts would have found it
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Also likely to alter due to the Euro Working Directive.
Is that 16 hours on, and 16 hours off thing?
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
are you a med applicant??? 2776
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lol - i recommend dissection though. Learnt far more from DIY than from prosections (and no, I'm not planning on a career in surgery)

You can't take blood from yourself... it's not technically possible (not venous blood anyway). We have 'models' in the clinical skills lab from which we can 'practise', though they're not very realistic. A bit unfair to inflict pain on poor patients, therefore medsctudents are the guinea pigs,

Notts has a matching scheme. Guaranteed a House Officer job when I graduate (in 2006!!!). Starting salary is approx 25k though varies according to overtime bands etc. Also likely to alter due to the Euro Working Directive.
That's worrying, 2006 is only 2 years away! Have you applied to have your credit card title changed to 'Dr' already??
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It's a max. number of hours a week... although there are loads of 'get out clauses' so I doubt it will be strictly enforced

Things also set to change following introduction of a Foundation Year after PRHO
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Unfortunately for junior doctors, there are still plenty of ways for consultants to get around the 'european working directive'.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It all depends on what speciality you go in to. Also, consultancy posts in the top hospitals often go to registrars who have trained in equally 'excellent' hospitals. If there was an easy way to go about it, I'm sure the hundreds of doctors waiting for consultancy posts would have found it
Thats why I was thinking of going to a respectable hospital for HO and SHO, then go for a small town for consultantship. They would love to have someone from a respectable hospital. But when you do ahve consultantship you can easily go to a bigger hospital.

My dad sort of gave me hints on going about this. He should know as he is a professor and used to be the Vice president of the Cardiology association
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lol - I wish... It feels like I've still got a looooooong way to go.

Finish my Bmedsci on 10th Feb though (viva) so that's my short term goal.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It's a max. number of hours a week... although there are loads of 'get out clauses' so I doubt it will be strictly enforced

Things also set to change following introduction of a Foundation Year after PRHO
And by the time we're registrars, they will have introduced Junior and Senior Consultant grades.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (55)
4.82%
Uncertainty around my education (175)
15.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (127)
11.14%
Lack of purpose or motivation (163)
14.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (49)
4.3%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (65)
5.7%
Loneliness (97)
8.51%
Financial worries (38)
3.33%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (54)
4.74%
Exposure to negative news/social media (54)
4.74%
Lack of real life entertainment (60)
5.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (103)
9.04%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (100)
8.77%

Watched Threads