(Original post by joyabbott)
are you a med applicant??? 2776
You'd never have guessed.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Who knows joy and time, I may be that HO you are overworking when you are consultants.
joyabbott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Eventually I'd love to work in a major teaching hospital etc, however I'll go where the jobs are...

I have friends who are HO's and the one's in 'district' hospitals rather than the teaching hospitals seem to 'learn more' and be more valued as part of the team. The same can be said for clinical attachments as a medstudent.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Thats why I was thinking of going to a respectable hospital for HO and SHO, then go for a small town for consultantship. They would love to have someone from a respectable hospital. But when you do ahve consultantship you can easily go to a bigger hospital.

My dad sort of gave me hints on going about this. He should know as he is a professor and used to be the Vice president of the Cardiology association
Wow, good for your Dad Matt is impressed.

But dont you think you would get a more valuable experience and better understanding from doing a consultantship in a larger hospital?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Thats why I was thinking of going to a respectable hospital for HO and SHO, then go for a small town for consultantship. They would love to have someone from a respectable hospital. But when you do ahve consultantship you can easily go to a bigger hospital.

My dad sort of gave me hints on going about this. He should know as he is a professor and used to be the Vice president of the Cardiology association
Yes, but if you want to be a consultant cardiothoracic surgeon, for example, there are few centres available in the UK, especially none in small town hospitals. I quite like cardiothoracics, either that or neurosurgery (equally difficult to find places to train)
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
where have you applied???
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Who knows joy and time, I may be that HO you are overworking when you are consultants.
Lol, unless you're about 12, there's not much chance of that happening
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Eventually I'd love to work in a major teaching hospital etc, however I'll go where the jobs are...

I have friends who are HO's and the one's in 'district' hospitals rather than the teaching hospitals seem to 'learn more' and be more valued as part of the team. The same can be said for clinical attachments as a medstudent.
Hmm, my dad has this fascination with the knowledge of nurses. Like he will probably want me to do some time in the wards with nurses when I graduate just to help them. As they have a different knowledge base to doctors and we can learn a lot from them. More practicable ward workigns of course.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
He should know as he is a professor and used to be the Vice president of the Cardiology association
A very tempting guy to put on your personal statement, lol.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Lol, unless you're about 12, there's not much chance of that happening
Well then. I won't be overworked...by you two at least.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'd love to have Dr. Kelso off 'Scrubs' as my consultant. I don't know why, must have this sadistic streak running through me.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
where have you applied???
Not yet, next year. But Cambridge, Imperial, Leeds, Queens.
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i'd rather have Dr Kovac
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
do you ever go on medschoolguide?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
But dont you think you would get a more valuable experience and better understanding from doing a consultantship in a larger hospital?
Yes, but getting a consultantship is diffucult in large hospitals. So go for the easier route, and do it in a smaller place, to get the consultantship, do a few years there. then move to a bigger hospital for work as consultant. Then upgrade your experience.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i'd rather have Dr Kovac
You probably wouldn't mind him as your consultant, either.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
do you ever go on medschoolguide?
Yes, I do.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Yes, but getting a consultantship is diffucult in large hospitals. So go for the easier route, and do it in a smaller place, to get the consultantship, do a few years there. then move to a bigger hospital for work as consultant. Then upgrade your experience.

That is an interesting theory i do admit, but limited by speciality. Do you know what you want to do eventually? (as in what field)
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
what's your username on there?
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
hmm...doesn't Mr White want to be a doctor? He would be an interesting consultant.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (210)
42.94%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (75)
15.34%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (196)
40.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.64%

Watched Threads