Report 17 years ago
yep, thats the one! I've only recently bought it
joyabbott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Surely being in Cam, is better for future job prospects that being like in for example Southampton. I mean for like eg International wise.
not necessarily. the 'old boys network' is gradually diluting, and in terms of a good medical education, Oxbridge is no longer regarded as being the best. Hence the move over to more integrated courses.

For a career in research, yes, Oxbridge may have the edge, but as a clinician, I don't think so.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Hell, he probably went to school with some of the interviewers.

No, I want to see what I can do for myself and not dependant on my dad. I know that I can get into my insurance unis, like Leeds etc. So I know that in teh futute that I will be a doctor, but whether going to a good uni will affect your future career path. Like rethinking my strategy.
thanks for the calculation.

when i made a post asking xenon for rep in promise to return it, whitey posted "man-whore".

then, 3 mins later, i got neg rep worth 27 points (precisely) saying, "Enjoy....."

Calculation:

At time of rep - 4800 posts (approx)
At time of rep - 5 Gems
At time of rep - 1 x 3 months

Calculation:

pos rep:

4800/100 = 48
48 + 5 = 53
53 + 1 = 54

neg rep (as given):
= 54/2
= 27

you dont fool me whitey.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Surely being in Cam, is better for future job prospects that being like in for example Southampton. I mean for like eg International wise.
nice calculation, spot on mate

anyway, must go, goodnight all.

Have a good sleep.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
not necessarily. the 'old boys network' is gradually diluting, and in terms of a good medical education, Oxbridge is no longer regarded as being the best. Hence the move over to more integrated courses.

For a career in research, yes, Oxbridge may have the edge, but as a clinician, I don't think so.
Yes, I agree. Degrees from the peninsula med school though may be rated slightly less in the traditional consultant's book.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

I didn't mean it as an "old boys" network per se, but more to do with the international recogntion, the prestige of the name. And easier to get into jobs (?).

Thats why dad, always goes on about working with nurses to improve the clinical side of things.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)

Have a good sleep.
Well, goodnight. Remember I said nothing. You did the calculation.
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think providing you stick to a 'red brick' uni with established course, you can';t really go wrong. Your performance and reputation are far more important than that of your medschool.
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Internationally I think again any UK medschool is well recognised and providing you have the refs, you should be OK jobwise abroad
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think providing you stick to a 'red brick' uni with established course, you can';t really go wrong. Your performance and reputation are far more important than that of your medschool.
Yes, that's the same advice from the SHOs as well. Be aware taht in the world of medecine, theres lots of mutual backstabbing.
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i think it starts from the day you start medschool!!! Medics are competitive by nature
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)

Have a good sleep.
good night
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i think it starts from the day you start medschool!!! Medics are competitive by nature
Have 55 rep points for being so helpful.

Night night.
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Time for bed for me aswell - have a day of intensive revision ahead...

Why does Notts cram everything there is to know about antimicrobial chemotherapy into 2 weeks and then give us an exam straight away??? I wouldn't mind, but by the time I qualify, most microorgs will be resistant to practically all the antibiotics anyway, making this course obscelete... oh well
Take care

Tonight had certainly increased my number of posts significantly!!!

Joy
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Time for bed for me aswell - have a day of intensive revision ahead...

Why does Notts cram everything there is to know about antimicrobial chemotherapy into 2 weeks and then give us an exam straight away??? I wouldn't mind, but by the time I qualify, most microorgs will be resistant to practically all the antibiotics anyway, making this course obscelete... oh well
Take care

Tonight had certainly increased my number of posts significantly!!!

Joy

Hehe, good night
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
aww thanks... I believe those are my 1st rep points!

If you want any advice, pm me (or e-mail) and I'll try my best.

Bye
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (62)
19.38%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.06%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.44%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.88%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.56%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.06%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.75%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.5%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads