The Student Room Group

Obama has secured re-election

Scroll to see replies

This is his biggest trump card. If it was purely for the election, he would've played it much later in the year.

Methinks public opinion on Libya is hitting the ***tter far more quickly than anyone expected.
He's hardly taking the credit...
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
This is his biggest trump card. If it was purely for the election, he would've played it much later in the year.

Methinks public opinion on Libya is hitting the ***tter far more quickly than anyone expected.

Oh hai, I see what you did there :cool:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I don't think Obama is the type to make a big issue of this.

But I think he will be re-elected anyway due to the weakness of Republican candidates.

One thing which has always confused me about US politics is how, despite the vast array of superbly intelligent academic/economic commentators on the right wing of the US political spectrum, the Republican party seems to throw out caricatures of the most odd types of 'whacky right wingers' in US society.

I have the greatest respect for the Manhattan Institute and their City Journal, to which most of the prominent conservatives have contributed. FOX News is also far less dumbed down than its leftist competitors; First Things, a Catholic journal, also covers politics and economics from a measured and responsible conservative perspective.

Yet the GOP's attempts to find an intelligent and personable character who would not be ridiculed by large sections of press and public are floundering. If they dropped their reactionary rhetoric on issues such as Obamacare, the birth certificate and intelligent design they would stand a better chance. I speak as a creationist, but creation vs. evolution has became needlessly politicised due to unjust Supreme Court decisions. Once a decent Republican president enters office they can confirm judges who will overturn holdings based upon left-wing misapprehensions - Bush considered restricting the filibuster to prevent the Dems perpetuating a liberal stranglehold on the Court- and this can be sorted. It's not an issue to focus on during a presidential campaign.
A second Obama Presidency is now a certainty. If Bush had caught Bin Laden in the last days of his Presidency it would have likely given the Republican ticket a huge boost and we'd now have McCain in the White House with 'Hockey Mom' as his Vice.
Original post by JohnC2211
He is making it sound like he was the one who pulled the bloody trigger.

War is old men talking and young men dying.

Is he? What exactly did he say to give you that impression?

Original post by FlamingIceCubez
I think he does deserve the credit. And I wanted him to be re-elected anyway as I'd rather have him than another President Bush.

Why on earth does he deserve credit? He had nothing to do with it - at best he approved the mission that was planned by other people and executed by other people. I'd be confident the outcome would be the same if Ronald McDonald was in charge...
Original post by ScheduleII

Yet the GOP's attempts to find an intelligent and personable character who would not be ridiculed by large sections of press and public are floundering. If they dropped their reactionary rhetoric on issues such as Obamacare, the birth certificate and intelligent design they would stand a better chance.

Yes - the birth certificate business is just embarrassing.

The problem for the Republicans is that there are too many 'unelectables' at the top of the party. Much as George W Bush was satirised as being a bumbling fool by the leftist media, he was at least a more in touch character than most of the other Republicans are. He had a bit of cowboy "yeah we'll go kick terrorist ass" about him but then many Americans do. However much lefties hated him, he didn't come off as an extreme religious redneck freak.

The Democrats have got a very polished and confident performer who is hard to beat, like they had in Clinton. This birth certificate crap won't work on Obama, look at all the stuff they threw at Clinton and it never dented his popularity, I bet if Clinton had been allowed to run for a third term he would have won in 2000 as well.

Last year when our leaders debates started, I was watching some of the Presidential debates from 1992, and Clinton completely dominated George Bush snr, he made Bush look like an ageing man who should have been retired off compared to the young confident and vibrant Clinton. Then the Republicans put Bob Dole up against him in 1996 which was exactly the same, an old man who couldn't live with Clinton. George W Bush was at least a decent contender but even then he got fewer votes than Gore (who comes over a bit cheesy IMO for most voters) in 2000 when he won.

The odd thing is that the Republicans have huge financial clout, a large section of sympathetic newspapers, a brilliant electoral machine, and benefit from the fact that the US in general is a free-market loving country and so they SHOULD have the electoral odds stacked in their favour. But they put McCain and Palin as lambs to the slaughter against a slick performer like Obama and it is incredulous that Palin is being thought about again. She will NEVER win.

I know there is a constituency of rednecks in the US but they won't decide the election. Where Obama dominates is he has managed to project the image of electoral politics in the US being between the intellectual rational middle classes (ie him) and the whacky redneck religious nutters with non PC racial views (ie the Republicans).

You see so many articulate, presentable US actors, American football coaches etc, that within the ranks of the Republican party there MUST be somebody who can stand up and have an intellectual toe-to-toe with Obama and make the public think "a man who I have confidence in". Unless they find one Obama will romp to victory in 2012 and looking further ahead, if it's Hilary Clinton in 2016, she would also knock out any whacky caricature contender the Republicans put up, so they need to get their asses in gear.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by thunder_chunky
"I'm the guy who got Osama bin Laden."

Being somewhat anecdotal there, but I do believe it to be at least partially true. I think he just significantly upped his chances of being reelected in 2012.

I'm ok with that. With the exception of Ron Paul, all the GOP hopefuls so far are clueless dip****s.

Bachmann, Palin, Trump, and Huckabee. Seriously? That's the best you can do? Together they have the brain power of a turd.

A lot of people are giving Bush credit for Bin Laden's capture. Bush put the policies in place that led to taking Bin Laden out, not Obama.
Reply 48
Obama may be the US president but he does not deserve to take all the credit for the capture and killing of OBL. He is the one that has continually avoided this subject throughout his reign as prime minister in fear of being criticised for what the point was in the wars in Afghanistan and why it has taken ten years to find him. Now that they have achieved this aim he all of a sudden says it was always his top prioty. Yeah, right it doesn't wash with me.
shame :frown:

its a conspiracy :ninja:
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Oh hai, I see what you did there :cool:

:ahee:
Original post by Aspiring Medic 201
A second Obama Presidency is now a certainty. If Bush had caught Bin Laden in the last days of his Presidency it would have likely given the Republican ticket a huge boost and we'd now have McCain in the White House with 'Hockey Mom' as his Vice.

All the polls are showing that Obama has no "bounce" whatsoever as a result of this. I think most Americans know it was Bush's policies that set the stage for taking out Bin Laden. All Obama had to do was walk in and take the credit.
Original post by Made in the USA
All the polls are showing that Obama has no "bounce" whatsoever as a result of this. I think most Americans know it was Bush's policies that set the stage for taking out Bin Laden. All Obama had to do was walk in and take the credit.

I think if he had captured him and put him on trial he would have a huge boost. But they've killed him discretely and without (yet) releasing any photos. A lot of people I speak to don't even quite believe it.
(edited 12 years ago)
I agree....although I can't say the same for the party in your sig :wink:
Reply 54
It will certainly help. The thing to watch is the republican primaries. Apparently newt gingrich is running, as is romney (possibly) and if either win it'll be a tough race for obama, although i suspect obama will probably pip the post. This at least is going to be an exciting race considering the last few days, things like this can make or break an election so i'll certainly be glued to the news.

EDIT: also if nato/america manages to get gaddafi aswell it will just boost it even more, because not only did obama do what bush couldn't by capturing osama but he got his own guy aswell. Although gaddafi/libya isn't as big an issue in the U.S.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Made in the USA

Considering polls have a delay of about 2-3 days before current affairs take effect, I'll reserve judgement.
I think the GOP's best hope is Mitt Romney. It seems like either him or Mike Muckabee will win the primaries, but Mitt Romney is the more moderate of the two. That said, Obama would still comfortably win I imagine.
Original post by Sharpshooter
I think if he had captured him and put him on trial he would have a huge boost. But they've killed him discretely and without (yet) releasing any photos. A lot of people I speak to don't even quite believe it.

I don't even get why they shot him. All reports suggest he was unarmed, so what the hell is the point of killing someone who has no weapon? I think he would have been far more valuable to us alive. I guess we'll never know....
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
I think the GOP's best hope is Mitt Romney. It seems like either him or Mike Muckabee will win the primaries, but Mitt Romney is the more moderate of the two. That said, Obama would still comfortably win I imagine.

Don't let Huckabee's religious background fool you. Huckabee is a big governemnt guy. He has a history of raising taxes as governor and he also was very soft on crime. He let Wayne Dumond out of prison so he could promptly rape and murder a woman. I was very relieved to find out he isn't running, and I hope he stays out of presidential politics forever. I do like him as a TV talk show host though.
Reply 59
God, can obama really stoop any lower.

The man is all talk and no action who has convinced himseld that he is Jesus christ reincarnated AND NOW...
he claims the glory for a battle that he did not fight, nor win.

Makes me want to puke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending