Terrible pain in my shins while walking Watch

kalaghoda
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I recently started going for a 'brisk walk' a week ago in an attempt to lose weight. The first three days I walked 5k and the next three days 7k..however when I am walking, I develop a terrible pain in my shins. What could be the reason?
Bloodbath
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Post pictures of your ankles and your feet. You probably have overpronation of the ankles and flat feet
Megaloblastic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Shin splints? Could be if you arent used to walking long distances and then started walking 5k etc.
Minthew!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bloodbath)
Post pictures of your ankles and your feet. You probably have overpronation of the ankles and flat feet

This! I had the same problem when I started walking and later running. A good pair of running trainers suitable for overpronation really helped (try this website, http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/review...-shoes/13.html)

If you sprain or go over on your ankle a lot it could be a more serious problem and you might need specially designed insoles.

good luck

Also doing a bit of warm up before your walk really helps
modgepodge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got this when I started running again. I make sure I really stretch my calf muscles about 10 mins in to the run, half way and again at the end and haven't had a problem since (tight calves was listed as a possible cause and as it was the only cause that had a simple solution I gave it a go!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.56%
No - but I will (17)
5.38%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.33%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.73%

Watched Threads