Photoelectric work function Watch

'bob'
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys. This past exam question has stumped me a bit. Its based on the equation off the photoelectric effect ( hv = work function of metal + kinetic energy of emitted electrons).

We are given the frequency of the em radiation, its intensity (in Watts per square metre) and kinetic energy of the emmited electrons.

The first part asks for the energy of each photon. So i multiply v by h and that gives me an energy value in J but is that the energy for a single photon?

Next up it asks me the number of photons reaching the surface if the area is (so and so) metres squared. (No idea on this one)

The last one seems simple enough. It just asks the work function of the metal ( =hv - Ek)

Thanks. my main problem is the relationship between intensity, area and number of photons
Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
1. Yes it is
2.The intensity is how many photons you have, so basically times it by Surface area
3.Yep
'bob'
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Sheldon)
1. Yes it is
2.The intensity is how many photons you have, so basically times it by Surface area
3.Yep
Thanks. As for part 2 my intensity is 4.5 micro watts per metre squared and my surface area was 2.5 micrometres squared. Needless to say this gave me a very small number.

So what i did is divided the intensity by the energy of each photon (1.34*10 -18) and multiplied that by the surface area. Got a value of 8.4million which seems about right but not sure if it actually is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads