Film Studies--- Southampton vs Warwick vs Queen Mary Watch

xz22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have an offer from Southampton Uni, Warwick and Queen Mary for undergraduate Film Studies.

I can't decide which one to confirm!

I want to get into the movie business; main goal is to become a scriptwriter but I am also interested in being an agent, casting directer, script supervisor etc.

On one hand Warwick is the most prestigious and it has a really good campus but I hate that the course is all theory based because I am more interested in the practical aspect of film.

The course in Southampton is much better. It has practical aspects which I am very interested in. I really liked the atmosphere in Southampton, however it would be greatly beneficial for my future career if I was in London.

The course in Queen Mary is also very good but QM does not rank as high on the league tables. Also I did not really like it as much as the other two unis. I'm still attracted to this Uni because it is in London.

Basically one offers prestige, the other valuable skills and the last a beneficial location.

Please HELP!! I really want a career in film. I realize that it is a very competitive industry.... Which degree would be most beneficial?
jimmyhe07
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I 'm also more interested in the practical component of Film. Basically, I'd like to be both a screenwriter and a film director. However, I decided to start off by pursuing a theoretical degree in Film. I believe that by doing this I can get a valuable background in Film. So, I also applied for film studies at Warwick and Southampton and I finally put Warwick as my firm choice. This is because Warwick is beyond any doubt the best uni for Film Studies in the UK.

I see that you are a bit sceptical because Warwick offers a purely theoretical degree but my suggestion is that you start off with a theoretical degree to get a background in film and then you may pursue a purely practical degree in screenwriting or whatever you like (preferably in the United States). This is basically what I' m planning to do!

I think that by watching films and analyzing them based on some theoretical framework, you' ll get a good impression on what a good film should be like! I mean that if you don't do this, how else can you make sure that the screenplays you make are of high quality and they are what the film industries are looking for?

I think it would be worthwhile taking a theoretical degree in Film Studies at a
university as prestigious as Warwick. Remember that the film degree at Warwick will take you only 3 years. And then you may also need to spend another 3 years on a practical degree. This means that if you are now 18, at the end of both degrees you'll be 24, which means that you'll still be very young to become a screenwriter.

Finally, I want to tell you that becoming a filmmaker/screenwriter does not require that you spend your whole life at the university! You may still become an good screenwriter even if you don't go to a university, provided that you are talented. If you check out the biographies of some prominent filmmakers, you'll realize that many of them do not hold something more than one bachelor degree. Their talent was the key to success.

I hope I helped you a bit!
xz22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thank you so much! That was abundantly helpful! I completely agree with you and I think I am also going to put Warwick as my firm choice and Southampton as my insurance. So I hope I'll see you at Warwick in October
jimmyhe07
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok! See ya! :cool:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (503)
37.65%
No - but I will (103)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.75%

Watched Threads