English A1 Paper 1 tomorrow: Confused with integrating a personal response Watch

smartini
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
In Criterion B: Interpretation of the text it says:

To what extent has the candidate expressed a relevant personal response?

I have been advised to never use pronouns such as "I" when inputting my personal opinion such as "I believe the writer..." or "In my opinion the writer..." Because of this, I am a little confused as to how to integrate a personal response when writing a commentary for a prose in Paper 1?

(I have made my mind up on a prose; hate poems.)
FiniteMr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's actually quite good to use pronouns like I, you want to use them in subjective situations not objective ones.
smartini
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hypocrism)
It's actually quite good to use pronouns like I, you want to use them in subjective situations not objective ones.
AH! I've always been told not to! My teacher constantly advises us to put in our 2 cents without using the pronoun; and for the life of me- I cannot figure out how!
Kiitherine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well yout answer will be to a certain extent a personal response because of the way you perceive what the writing is suggesting/conveying and why
Nowhere else except in the conclusion would I write 'I'. You are coming you a close and you want to give the reader your perspective of it all.
Surely you have done past papeers that your teachers have marked? Its no different!!

Good luck kid!
Blazara
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kiitherine)
Well yout answer will be to a certain extent a personal response because of the way you perceive what the writing is suggesting/conveying and why
Nowhere else except in the conclusion would I write 'I'. You are coming you a close and you want to give the reader your perspective of it all.
Surely you have done past papeers that your teachers have marked? Its no different!!

Good luck kid!
I thought writing "I think.." in a conclusion is one of the greatest sins of writing ever.
A pretty safe way is just "blah blah can be considered to mean/be... blah blah" "it is possible to understand this to mean.. blah blah".
Kiitherine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Blazara)
I thought writing "I think.." in a conclusion is one of the greatest sins of writing ever.
A pretty safe way is just "blah blah can be considered to mean/be... blah blah" "it is possible to understand this to mean.. blah blah".
Oh no I agree I would never write 'I think', however I would write 'I believe, [writer's name] juxtaposed blah blah with blah in order to highlight...'
smartini
Rep:
?
I'll keep that in mind! Thank you!
Blazara
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kiitherine)
Oh no I agree I would never write 'I think', however I would write 'I believe, [writer's name] juxtaposed blah blah with blah in order to highlight...'
Ah, that's alright then.

Teachers have turned me into a pronoun hating person though
Commando3200
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't write "I"'s, ever.

If your writing is good enough, your personal opinion of the text should show through your analysis of specific references and the overall text.

Your INTERPRETATION is the personal response, not the use of "I". Use of that pronoun weakens your argument.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads