Anybody interested in helping with a 'How to make a website" guide and FAQ? Watch

Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I hope this gets some sort of response as this subforum isn't too active.

I've been looking over the Webmaster sticky and it's lacking severely. It lists some trusted resources for hosting, advertising and domains, but that's all it is really - a list. Some websites have recently been providing their own step by step guide to getting started. So I thought it may be a good idea to incorporate our own guide and FAQ into the current sticky.

I was wondering if anyone would like to contribute their knowledge and experiences by writing up their own small guide or even help contribute to different sections of a guide. We can merge together the contributed pieces to form a nice, rounded TSR guide for any newbies browsing the forum.

1. Introduction
  2. Getting Started
  3. Buying a Domain (Types, DNS, forwarding and nameservers)
  4. Hosting (free, paid, SQL databases, FTP, domain management)/
  5. Advertising (Benefits, appropriate uses)
  6. Coding (What languages are appropriate for what, what languages to get started with)

Any interest?
Groat
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
I'd be happy to write a little section on HTML, PHP and CSS after exams (May 28th). I'll have 3 weeks after my exams finish so this'll be a nice little project.

Unless that's too late for you!
StormyDragon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ape Gone Insane: I will gladly help you out on this project.
k3ro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is a good idea. I'd help if I weren't so busy with exams for the next month or so.

(Also, as a side note, I recommend new host Hostpolar. They're terrific.)
estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Using the TSR wiki?
Vulpes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Definitely interested in this. However, it will have to wait until after exams which means July for me as I take Edexcel Examinations.

Great Idea btw. We should also add a section on Mobile Web Development as it is coming up more and more frequently and is, without a doubt, a feature which many websites wish to implement.

(If it goes well, turn it into a book? =P Book: "How to make a website (Endorsed by TheStudentRoom)" - Reviewed by thousands of students around the world. Or something cheesy like that =P )
StormyDragon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(If it goes well, turn it into a book? =P Book: "How to make a website (Endorsed by TheStudentRoom)" - Reviewed by thousands of students around the world. Or something cheesy like that =P )
Sounds like a great idea.
the_neg_master_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am looking forward to this. I would like to make my own website but don't know how. haha will be watching this thread/space!
avila
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just want to chime in and suggest to avoid creating guides about things that other places already cover in sufficient detail (e.g. W3Schools or SelfHTML)

It might be best to define what will and will not be included in such a guide and to draw a line. Once there's a clear outline of needed topics, it'd also be easier for people to adopt and develop one they know stuff about.
estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
w3schools is an abomination that doesn't deserve to exist
avila
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by estel)
w3schools is an abomination that doesn't deserve to exist
Found their stuff quite helpful for some "XML Coding" coursework I had to do. Granted, their certification program is retarded (who'd pay for that), but other than that what's wrong with the site?

Edit: you win -- http://w3fools.com/
Wookie42
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Might do more harm than good, but I wouldn't mind making a few basic css/html layouts with really clearly laid out boxes to show exactly what's what and how the different positioning works. I just remember when I first started learning how divs worked I got so confused that's all!
Groat
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
I know this is a bit of an old thread now, but exams are beginning to end so I'd be happy to contribute.
TheBritishBloke
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd be happy to do a video introduction to creating a simple graphical or table based template on Dreamweaver if you like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.74%
No - but I will (64)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (392)
47.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise