Would anyone who goes to Roehampton or St. Mary's be able to tell me what it's like? Watch

weusedtowait
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
If you go to Roehampton, St. Mary's Twickenham or Chichester, would you be able to answer these questions? I'd be really grateful!

If you go there, could you tell me what it's actually like to be a student there? My questions are...

* What's the atmosphere like on campus? (Loud, quiet, friendly, lively, peaceful, has a community feel, people keep to themselves etc.)
* What's the student union like? Do they constantly arrange different events or not, and would you say that the union is a big part of the majority of students' social lives or not?
* What are halls like? Do different halls have different reputations, and if so, what are they? Do they have an atmosphere of everyone mixing together, or do people keep to themselves?
* Which are the local haunts and hangouts for the student body? (The ones which are most popular.)

Sorry for all the questions, I just want an idea of what student life is actually like there, rather than all this prospectus-type information.
tigermoth99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can tell you about Chichester and Roehampton because I spent 1.5 years at Chi and 2 at Roehampton

* What's the atmosphere like on campus? (Loud, quiet, friendly, lively, peaceful, has a community feel, people keep to themselves etc.)

Chichester is a small, tightly knit uni which has community feel to it. Roehampton is slightly larger and is divided into colleges which makes it feel a little fragmented but it's a friendly place and you'll get to know everyone in your college.

* What's the student union like? Do they constantly arrange different events or not, and would you say that the union is a big part of the majority of students' social lives or not?

Chi = small but lively, Bognor Regis has an okayish scene. Roehampton is much bigger and the SU is a much bigger part of student's social lives.

* What are halls like? Do different halls have different reputations, and if so, what are they? Do they have an atmosphere of everyone mixing together, or do people keep to themselves?

Chi = I lived off campus, so don't know. Roehampton has a good mix of halls. Most are modern, comfortable rooms and everyone mixes together.

* Which are the local haunts and hangouts for the student body? (The ones which are most popular.)

Chi = pubs (there are a few around but Chi centre is the def fave and so is Bognor)

Roehampton = Putney for the bars and clubs. Fez is popular amongst students.
apotoftea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Halls at Chichester are very good, especially the new built stuff.
RUAmbassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by weusedtowait)
If you go to Roehampton, St. Mary's Twickenham or Chichester, would you be able to answer these questions? I'd be really grateful!

If you go there, could you tell me what it's actually like to be a student there? My questions are...

Sorry for all the questions, I just want an idea of what student life is actually like there, rather than all this prospectus-type information.
Hey,
I go to Roehampton, am in my second year now.
*I find the campus very friendly and pretty; it doesn't feel like London but central is only about 40 minutes away.
*The Uni organises a free bus to a club in Clapham monthly and one in Putney weekly. It also has The Bop weekly which is like a fancy dress school disco! At the Union, there is food and drink all day/evening and they have bands night, comedy night etc. Also the trips, clubs, societies (you might want to check out the RSU website)
*The halls vary but nearly everyone wants to be sociable and take part in the Uni life. People have flat parties and pre-drinks in halls. From experience, Froebel tends to be slightly quieter but I suppose it varies from year to year. All halls have a communical area where you can mix with the people in your flat/on your floor.
*Some people got to Central of a night out. Richmond is good for bars and Kingston is popular for shopping, Oceana and various alterantive bars. We are also 15 minutes away from Westfields.
Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any more questions.
simsimsim
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by weusedtowait)

At St Mary's,

Atmosphere: friendly and small, good community feel but at the same time events don't get promoted much in advance so if you live off campus it isn't always convenient..

Student Union: does hold a variety of events but it's come under trouble recently as there was a use it or lose it campaign as it was apparently the most expensive student union bar in the country so from what I know most students go out to spoons in twickenham/ out in kingston but there are balls and events like a st mary's music festival.

Halls: I didn't move into halls so can't really comment but from some of my friends halls, it really depends on what halls you get. Some are really nice with en suites but at the same time some of my friends moved back home and left halls because they didn't enjoy it. You can't cook oven meals, just microwave and kettle because meals are provided at the refectory daily.

Sorry for the vagueness/lateness- I didn't live in halls so won't know everything!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.71%
No - but I will (55)
7.08%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.01%

Watched Threads