This discussion is closed.
frappucino
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
just thought this might be interesting:

ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm

it's a ranking of the top 500 universities in the world...i thought it contained some surprises, like UC Berkeley being 4th. check it out!
Chris_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by frappucino)
just thought this might be interesting:

ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm

it's a ranking of the top 500 universities in the world...i thought it contained some surprises, like UC Berkeley being 4th. check it out!
Someone posted this less than a month ago I think, so most people will probably have already seen it. My uni is about 240th if I recall correctly..
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I've not seen it so thank you!
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by frappucino)
i thought it contained some surprises, like UC Berkeley being 4th. check it out!
Berkeley is very well regarded in some circles, don't underestimate it!

Mine came 5th though, curiously beating MIT, which I wouldn't have expected.

Alaric.
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
that table really is frighteningly meaningless.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
agreed
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Who else thinks these rankings are absolute bull? Leeds, Leister and Nottingham ranked BELOW University of Hawaii?!?!??!?! Omg, I feel like shooting whoever complied this info.
rutera
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You're all correct, this table is absolute bull, and very disturbingly meaningless... LSE was like 400 something, bellow exeter, kings college, etc... Not only that, I live in Spain and they ranked Valencia way too high. Complutense was also higher than some of the good unis in the UK, and I know people who made it there with 6 out of 10 in selectividad, that's like a C at A-level
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by rutera)
You're all correct, this table is absolute bull, and very disturbingly meaningless... LSE was like 400 something, bellow exeter, kings college, etc... Not only that, I live in Spain and they ranked Valencia way too high. Complutense was also higher than some of the good unis in the UK, and I know people who made it there with 6 out of 10 in selectividad, that's like a C at A-level
I was looking for LSE aswell. Surely it ranks alongside oxbridge and imp.

Musicboy
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I seriously feel like writing an e-mail to these ppl complaining - I won't though. It's almost impossible to rank universities as the quality differs depending on the course u take....and clearly the ppl in Shanghai are USA-biased...Univ. of Hawaii ABOVE all those prestigious UK unis?!?!?!? <---I really can't get over that fact.....I mean, in our school Univ. of Hawaii is known as the the place where all the C average students go to who don't wanna study and want to just soak in the sun. It has a joke university reputation actually...if you mention the name ppl smirk.

On another note, the Asian rankings are Japan-biased as well. My dad is a professor in one of the Japanese universities and he took one look at it and said it was bull. There are uni's in China that are much better than the one's ranked there.

ARGH. I say we all bombard complaint e-mails to them That'll show'em. Tee hee. Just kiddin.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My universties not even in it. Its absolute crap though how can you compare world universities when each government has different policies and different ways of measuring quality.

For example the UK is supposed to be very strict on quality of degrees and I have heared many people say a British degree is still better quality than an american (apart from maybe the ivy league universities).

In the UK you parliment or the queen have to give you special powers to award a degree, not anybody can just do it. In some countries there is actually little involved in getting the powers to award degrees.
wizard
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
You can't be all that negative. Why can't Hawaii uni be ranked higher than Leicester?

I don't say that I agree with the methodology:
http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/methodology.htm#Criteria

but it can't be "bull".
MuvverRussia
Report 17 years ago
I've seen this table before, it only takes into account sciences or something. Someone emailed the guys that did it and were told that it's not completely accurate (this was on unofficial guides about 1 year ago), so I wouldn't bother using it as a reference.

'8. Why institutions specialized in humanities and social sciences have low ranks?

We tried really hard but were not successful in finding special criteria and internationally comparable data for social sciences and humanities. Many well-known institutions specialized in humanities and social sciences are missing from our list, or their ranks are relatively low.'

If anything, this is one of the most biased tables I've ever seen- it just proves how statistics can be used to manipulate data. Put it this way, that table says that LSE is one of the worst institutions in the world and that Warwick and York aren't that much better.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
this table is pathetic...........how can unis like sheffield, Kings, Newcastle be better than Nott, Warwick, LSE to name a few........i'd be really worried if world wide employers look at this table and judge on this.......its so much crap. i mean if we look at top 10 in UK.......the 1st 3 i've named wouldn't even be near.......and my last 3 will always be top 10.
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by wizard)
You can't be all that negative. Why can't Hawaii uni be ranked higher than Leicester?

I don't say that I agree with the methodology:
http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/methodology.htm#Criteria

but it can't be "bull".
Because Hawaii isn't even close to the standards of Leicester......
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
*wearing a Berkely shirt* Gooooo Berkely!

I'm surprised that MIT isn't top three.
wizard
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
Because Hawaii isn't even close to the standards of Leicester......
Yea but Hawaii has to get some extra points cuz its a nice tropical island.
DrSoySauce
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
How can the University of Southern California be better than Brown?
How come almost all the British universities have really low scores?

Besides, there's way more to the quality of the education you get than how many articles are publish in Nature and Science!
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The University of San Francisco is ranked higher than Yale if I remember correctly.

So, 'yes'.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
The University of San Francisco is ranked higher than Yale if I remember correctly.

So, 'yes'.
my dog could have compiled a more accurate table, and that isnt being sarcastic.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (210)
42.94%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (75)
15.34%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (196)
40.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.64%

Watched Threads