What's it actually like to be a student at Aber? Watch

weusedtowait
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
If you go to Aber, would you be able to answer these questions? I'd be really grateful!

* What's the atmosphere like on campus? (Loud, quiet, friendly, lively, peaceful, has a community feel, people keep to themselves etc.)
* What's the student union like? Do they constantly arrange different events or not, and would you say that the union is a big part of the majority of students' social lives or not?
* What are halls like? Do different halls have different reputations, and if so, what are they? Do they have an atmosphere of everyone mixing together, or do people keep to themselves?
* Which are the local haunts and hangouts for the student body? (The ones which are most popular.)

Sorry for all the questions, I just want an idea of what student life is actually like there, rather than all this prospectus-type information. If you have any other info, like in jokes for Aber students, or the kind of things everyone gets up to etc. that'd be great, too.
CallumG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
* What's the atmosphere like on campus? (Loud, quiet, friendly, lively, peaceful, has a community feel, people keep to themselves etc.)
Campus (and Aberystwyth in general) is fairly busy at all times during the week, lots of people about as there isn't really much else to go during the day. Everyone is incredibly friendly & it definitely has a community feel, you really can't go longer then a few minutes without seeing someone you know.

* What's the student union like? Do they constantly arrange different events or not, and would you say that the union is a big part of the majority of students' social lives or not?
The union has events on 7 nights a week as far as I remember, these include:
- Comedy Night
- Reload (Cheesy music on a Wednesday night, all the sports socials end up there)
- PoundParty (Self explanatory)
- Saturday Events (Themed i.e Back to School, Neon Rave etc)
- Sunday Night Movies
- Ed's Shed (Mondays) (Not sure what this is, havn't been in Aber this year " Everything from funk to indie,
breaks, big beats plus lots of well known good stuff." - From the FB event page)
This is the Student Union Bar & Events Page - Joint that, they send you invites & put up pictures etc
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=176322095948

The union is DEFINITELY a part of a students life, as mentioned about Reload, Wednesday is a sports day (No classes on a Wednesday afternoon) A large majority of teams will have their social on a Wednesday night & then they all finish off at RELOAD at the Union - Was always my favourite night of the week.

* What are halls like? Do different halls have different reputations, and if so, what are they? Do they have an atmosphere of everyone mixing together, or do people keep to themselves?
Halls depend a lot of which you get, there is a lot of threads about halls already, just take a look at those. PJM is definitely more quiet then the rest. Penbryn is by FAR the most active & party hall (long corridors of people, always fun) People are very social regardless of the halls, but I believe Penbryn is more so, although there is always quiet people around, but they're not an issue

* Which are the local haunts and hangouts for the student body? (The ones which are most popular.)
Aberystwyth is a student town, pretty much all of the town is a student hangout :P In all seriousness, pretty much any pub / club in town will have students.
Aberystwyth has 3 clubs:
The Union
Pier
Yokos (Open 7 days a week till 4:30am, only charges entrance fee on Saturday)
smithsrail
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cheers for the information Callum
CallumG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Any time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Aberystwyth University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 10 Jul '19
  • Aberystwyth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 10 Jul '19
  • Aberystwyth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads