Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How is ATP used during mitosis?

Is it to move the chromosomes?
Powell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This would be an incredibly long list if you were to try it. Mitosis is a very energy demanding process (as many biological processes are), and so ATP is required in different ways in during many functions, e.g. DNA replication, Chromosome condensation, Chromosome Separation, Mitotic Signalling (phosphorylation), extra lipid and protein synthesis, for cytokinesis.....the list would go on and on.
tmenaka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anaphase uses up a significant amount of ATP during mitosis , this is due to the overlapping microfibrils that make up the spindle fibres which have contractile filbres that are very similar to the muscle fibres , during anaphase the individual chromatids do not move to the opposite poles of the cell all by themselves , the contractile fibres pull the individual chromatids ( centromere first ) to the opposite poles , this the fastest stage in mitosis therefore it utilizes alot of energy in the form of ATP . During G2 phase ( this is the last phase in interphase the cells stores up accumulated energy exactly for this purpose . Mitotic division is an active process so ATP is used continuously , however Anaphase uses up most of the energy during mitosis .

Hope this helps !!!
User12399
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads