Does exeter have a good gay community? Watch

boby123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Well I'm not sure if I'm gay but i'm curious and willing to experiment and I'm just wondering is exeter the university good for gay or curious people and what about the town?
PaperSnowAGhost!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
try Brighton instead.
Warrior King
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by boby123)
Well I'm not sure if I'm gay but i'm curious and willing to experiment and I'm just wondering is exeter the university good for gay or curious people and what about the town?
I there's a LGBT society at the university so that's a good start and there's some gay friendly venues on Gandy Street (The Vault is one I think).

Why don't you search the Exeter uni website and do a google search?
uoftstudent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But what's the general attitude on campus? Are people pretty cool with lgbt folk? I'm hopefully going to be doing an exchange to exeter next year. I'm from super liberal Toronto, where being gay is almost a social asset Will I have to shut up about gay stuff when I get here? Also, while we're on this topic, in Canada, "queer" is the most socially acceptable catch-all phrase that pretty much everyone uses instead of "lgbt" which is kind of clunky. Is it true that in England, that's only a derogatory term?
superdry265
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes i think its not to bad i think i'm like you to
Pseudo-truth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think if Exeter was truly homophobic, they wouldn't have voted in an openly gay MP there for the last few terms x]

As for the attitude... I tend to find it's very lax. You can feel comfortable there, so long as you stray from some of the rougher areas. All in all, OP, as a resident of Exeter, I can safely say it's quite a good place to be!
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There will be a lot of tall, muscley guys with short hair wandering around Exeter naked.

Ignore them, they're in the Royal Marines. It's part of their culture.
Vikki1805
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't say Exeter has an extravagant gay society.
Try Brighton.
kerily
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by uoftstudent)
Also, while we're on this topic, in Canada, "queer" is the most socially acceptable catch-all phrase that pretty much everyone uses instead of "lgbt" which is kind of clunky. Is it true that in England, that's only a derogatory term?
I'd be careful with the word 'queer'; it depends who you're talking to as to how they react. In some circles, it's quite like another word which black people have reclaimed to talk about themselves - acceptable as a form of self-identification, but deeply offensive if someone outside the community uses it, or if someone uses it critically. Some other people don't care about it. I self-identify as 'queer' for the most part, but I'm also aware that plenty of people will refer to 'queers' in a derogatory manner, and it's very reliant on context. If someone thinks you're heterosexual and cisgender, and using the word to take the mick out of them, they may well get offended.

But of course, different parts of the UK are different socially; for all I know, the good LGBT+ people of Exeter may love being referred to as 'queer'
dbmag9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But what's the general attitude on campus? Are people pretty cool with lgbt folk? I'm hopefully going to be doing an exchange to exeter next year. I'm from super liberal Toronto, where being gay is almost a social asset Will I have to shut up about gay stuff when I get here? Also, while we're on this topic, in Canada, "queer" is the most socially acceptable catch-all phrase that pretty much everyone uses instead of "lgbt" which is kind of clunky. Is it true that in England, that's only a derogatory term?
Some people are fine with calling themselves queer, others have an issue with it. I'd say overall it's being reclaimed fairly rapidly, although a large part of that depends on who's saying it and how.

Google tells me that Exeter had a pride parade last year and that the uni has an LGBT society which seems fairly active, and common sense tells me that any big uni will have sensible people and idiots, and that it's not difficult to ignore idiots and hang around with sensible people.
Pseudo-truth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kerily)
I'd be careful with the word 'queer'; it depends who you're talking to as to how they react. In some circles, it's quite like another word which black people have reclaimed to talk about themselves - acceptable as a form of self-identification, but deeply offensive if someone outside the community uses it, or if someone uses it critically.
This.

Tend to find that a lot of people round here use the likes of "poof" and "queer" to identify themselves, but it'd be a bad idea to refer to them as that if you were outside their group...
dbmag9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pseudo-truth)
This.

Tend to find that a lot of people round here use the likes of "poof" and "queer" to identify themselves, but it'd be a bad idea to refer to them as that if you were outside their group...
That's when the word 'breeder' starts to come in handy. :awesome:
Pseudo-truth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dbmag9)
That's when the word 'breeder' starts to come in handy. :awesome:
BD True, that. Very true.
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would think that people would have far more pressing issues to consider like studies/exams etc than the sexual orientation of their peers. Nobody really gives a hoot.
ppincus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
There will be a lot of tall, muscley guys with short hair wandering around Exeter naked.

Ignore them, they're in the Royal Marines. It's part of their culture.
What are the Royal Marines? :P

(Original post by Pseudo-truth)
BD True, that. Very true.
Not to sound ignorant but what's a breeder? (In terms of LGBT)
dbmag9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ppincus)
What are the Royal Marines? :P

Not to sound ignorant but what's a breeder? (In terms of LGBT)
Royal Marines. And a 'breeder' is a joking derogatory slang term for a straight person.
ppincus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Royal Marines. And a 'breeder' is a joking derogatory slang term for a straight person.
Follow up: why would they be walking around naked? :P haha
dbmag9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ppincus)
Follow up: why would they be walking around naked? :P haha
There's a stereotype that Marines take any opportunity to get naked; Googling 'naked roll mat fighting' will give you an idea of the type of thing.
ppincus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's a stereotype that Marines take any opportunity to get naked; Googling 'naked roll mat fighting' will give you an idea of the type of thing.
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Naked_Rollmat_Fighting

Genius.
jammythedodger
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just to say apparently "queer" really isn't socially acceptable in England any more (not that stops my parents referring to gay people like that haha).

Regardless, to answer your question, I know a few openly gay guys in Exeter, so yeah, it really is fine.

Actually, most of the gay guys I know seem to be heart-throbs for the girls in Exeter haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Exeter Campuses Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Exeter Campuses Undergraduate
    Sat, 1 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.78%
No - but I will (98)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (606)
47.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise