LGBT at University Watch

*Farfalla*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm bi.. well i think i am... a little bit scared to label myself
Anyway... just wondering about LGBT societies at uni. Are bi-curious people generally accepted in an LGBT society?

I'm looking to experiment and find out what i really want and i really want to meet lots of different people. Would joining a LGBT society be a good idea?
HearTheThunder
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by farfalla4)
well i think i am...
:rolleyes:
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by farfalla4)
I'm bi.. well i think i am... a little bit scared to label myself
Anyway... just wondering about LGBT societies at uni. Are bi-curious people generally accepted in an LGBT society?

I'm looking to experiment and find out what i really want and i really want to meet lots of different people. Would joining a LGBT society be a good idea?
Yeah... LGBT societies are pretty open minded and will most likely welcome you with open arms.
Go for it
*Farfalla*
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by HearTheThunder)
:rolleyes:
Why did you roll your eyes at that comment?

See... that's exactly what I mean about being accepted as Bi.... I can't help not knowing if i'm gay or not!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Why do you lot feel like seperating yourself from society by making seprate societys and clubs about how you are? Is it so that you can cry about how society doesn't accept you for being you - it seems like you don't accept society. Its like admiting your different. Its not as if i am in a straight mans club.
Monkey_Boy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
:rolleyes: Here we go :rolleyes:
vickyrkenya
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes, LGBT will likely be happy for you to join, don't worry about labelling yourself...just join up and see what happens...its not like you are going to be forced into anything!
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
Why do you lot feel like seperating yourself from society by making seprate societys and clubs about how you are? Is it so that you can cry about how society doesn't accept you for being you - it seems like you don't accept society. Its like admiting your different. Its not as if i am in a straight mans club.
I think you'll find that LGBT groups are mainly focused towards introducing like minded people to each other. We don't walk around with big Rainbow triangles above our heads in real life, you know. Sometimes it's quite difficult to find like minded people.
[EDIT] Sadly it seems you flunked GCSE Common Sense. :rolleyes:
Beekeeper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
I think you'll find that LGBT groups are mainly focused towards introducing like minded people to each other. We don't walk around with big Rainbow triangles above our heads in real life, you know. Sometimes it's quite difficult to find like minded people.
[EDIT] Sadly it seems you flunked GCSE Common Sense. :rolleyes:
Perhaps, but he has got a point, and as a bisexual I don't think I would engage in such self-segregation. I have no intention of joining the LGBTSoc at Sheffield because going by the people I have met so far who are members, I wouldn't consider myself like minded! I don't really think a common agreement on ones personal sexuality makes people 'like minded' tbh...
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would have to agree with beekeeper, like 90% of the world is straight and i don't presume that i will instantly like them and share the same views and stuff because i share a sexual preference with them. Everybody is different in some way or another, segregating yourself on that difference just breads the intolerance that alot of people fear.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Beekeeper)
Perhaps, but he has got a point, and as a bisexual I don't think I would engage in such self-segregation. I have no intention of joining the LGBTSoc at Sheffield because going by the people I have met so far who are members, I wouldn't consider myself like minded! I don't really think a common agreement on ones personal sexuality makes people 'like minded' tbh...
I wouldn't consider it self segregation. As a bisexual myself, I'd probably go to one... merely just to make new friends. Perhaps meet someone special there? It's pretty much the same as any other society. People who have similar interest who form a group about their interest. Could you not argue that an AA meeting is self segregation, but nobody complains about that. I wouldn't go to ***** about homophobes etc. If someone else wants to do that then well... thats their choice, but I think that captain Straight A*'s needs to stop generalising about something that he doesn't know about.

(And my use of "like minded" was describing people of similar sexualities in that case)
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
I would have to agree with beekeeper, like 90% of the world is straight and i don't presume that i will instantly like them and share the same views and stuff because i share a sexual preference with them. Everybody is different in some way or another, segregating yourself on that difference just breads the intolerance that alot of people fear.
Well... I'm sorry but thats not my view at all. I just get on with my life - I'm bi. Great. So what? I'm not segregating myself in any way. So don't generalise that everyone who is LGBT segregates and shuts themselves off from society. Because the vast majority don't.
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I haven't become involved with my uni's LGBTSoc. I intend to next term after talking to a committee member last on Saturday night. It sounds fun

I think it might help me find a boyf too, which im craving now. It's going to be my primary aim next semester hehe.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by red_roadkill)
I haven't become involved with my uni's LGBTSoc. I intend to next term after talking to a committee member last on Saturday night. It sounds fun

I think it might help me find a boyf too, which im craving now. It's going to be my primary aim next semester hehe.
:hugs: awww... I hope you find someone best of luck with it!
dogtanian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It wouldn't hurt to go along.

My friend thought it a waste of time, needlessly self-segregating. Another friend at another university, however, has found that it's really helped her.

Just go to one of the first meetings and chat to them. See if it's for you.
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think it changes uni to uni. I know gay people at my uni who hate to have themselves associated with the uni's LGBT soc! But I dont think it can hurt to just go to a meeting and see what its all about.
Daragh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Can someone please tell her what the B stands for LGBT?
dogtanian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well, given that she says she's bicurious and not actually sure if she's bisexual, I think it's a valid question.

Catski
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Well... I'm sorry but thats not my view at all. I just get on with my life - I'm bi. Great. So what? I'm not segregating myself in any way. So don't generalise that everyone who is LGBT segregates and shuts themselves off from society. Because the vast majority don't.
:shakehand:

Well said, that Vlad.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Catski)
:shakehand:

Well said, that Vlad.
Thanks Catski
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (225)
27.81%
No (584)
72.19%

Watched Threads