Sort of reverse dip dying hair... Watch

theslightlyweird1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've been getting blonde highlights in my hair for about 7 years now, so my hair is quite blonde. I'm naturally a sort of light mousy red brown and I havent had my hair dyed in ages so its about an inch grown out. I really want to dip dye my hair, originally I was thinking of going really light blonde, like platinum colour with some pink on the ends, but I've heard that it's quite hard to keep hair that blonde and that it has to keep being re-. So I thought I would dye my roots dark and just leave the ends as they are seeing as they are already very light. Would a hairdresser do this for me? I don't trust myself or my friends to do it! I want it to kind of look like alexa chung's only with a lighter brown and lighter blonde!

Also does anyone know if it is easy to go back to blonde hair if I do dye my roots dark and then don't like it??
Arrrrrmelia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Speaking from past experience it is NOT easy to get back to blonde after dying your hair dark. Unless you want to risk bleaching your hair then I would wait until you are completely sure. There is also a new product that allows you to strip your hair completely of colour without bleach or even ammonia called Colour B4. I would suggest using this instead of bleaching as it leaves your hair in beter condition.

A hairdresser would definately do this for you and the Alexa Chung reference would give them something to go by, just take in a picture and explain the differences you want made to it.

Hope this helps!
bigmouthstrikesagain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yess i'm in the exact same position as you!

I have bleached hair and really want to do it but like the above poster said its so difficult to get blonde back again and also Colour B4 can be a bit hit and miss and would probably leave you with ginger hair. Just make sure you absolutely want to do it and go to the hairdressers or you could try doing it yourself by combing a semi permanent red dye through first and then go over with a permanent brown dye, leaving a few inches at the ends free of dye altogether
clo-clo1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Colour B4 is just as bad for your hair as bleach bathing it. I'd say get it done at a hairdressers thats where I got mine done, you could easily get just the top done if that is all you wanted done.
Going back to blonde would depend on how your hair soaks up colour- mine (having dyed it red 4 times) took longer to strip than a customer who had been dying her hair red every month for two years, so my hair is obviously a sponge.
JKGB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not easy to keep platinum blonde hair that bright, I dip-dyed my hair blonde at the ends (I have darkish brown hair naturally) and it's started to go quite coppery and a bit ginger!
clo-clo1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JKGB)
It's not easy to keep platinum blonde hair that bright, I dip-dyed my hair blonde at the ends (I have darkish brown hair naturally) and it's started to go quite coppery and a bit ginger!
Try bedhead 'Treat me right' mine came out a bit ginger due to all the red in it but as I'm using this it's going a bit blonder. I've only used it a couple of times as I left it at uni over easter
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's called an ombre dye - most colour technicians will do it for you. Provided you don't want the roots really really dark, I don't think it would be that difficult to revert to plain blonde if you wanted to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (308)
37.47%
No - but I will (64)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.42%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise