Just called my boyfriend pathetic- Am I in the wrong? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My boyfriend is always broke- he spends a fortune on playing events and stuff, as in all the money he has (and he's on the dole). I work and I get about the same money as him.

I am always having to pay for him as he is broke. This week I paid for us to stay at a hotel, and we're going to have dinner. Seeing as I paid for the hotel, I thought that he would at least pay for his half at dinner. But now I find out that he has no money as he's spent it all on the weekend. He said he can't help it, but I said he could, then he accused me of making him feel small.....I said simply that it was all a bit pathetic.

He won't talk to me now, making me feel like I'm the bad one. Am I?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by tehsponge)
Yeah it is a bit. But you are as well for playing into gender stereotypes. Why do men have to pay for everything?
I don't want him to pay for everything, I want it to be 50:50, is that so wrong....:confused:
cvqw1278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, he is completely pathetic, tell him to get a job and stop scrounging the awful welfare system.

Edit: Are people negging this because they want your taxes/future taxes to go onto nights out for the unemployed? Or just because you don't like me? One of the two....
Don'tNod
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tehsponge)
Yeah it is a bit. But you are as well for playing into gender stereotypes. Why do men have to pay for everything?
I didn't know expecting someone to pay for "his half at dinner" was playing into gender stereotypes.
WhatIsAUsername?
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're pathetic for being with someone like him.
Tba90
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't say your pathetic. But maybe because you have paid for stuff all this time then he knows when he has no money your going to pay.
LadyLondoner
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Youre totally in the right, it's not fair for you to pay for everything
xnatalie01x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You shouldn't have to pay for everything so no he is in the wrong.
jthlm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LadyLondoner)
Youre totally in the right, it's not fair for you to pay for everything
this. 50:50 for dinner is even generous, seeing as you paid for the hotel.. he is definitely not being fair.
llamalad200
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i kind of think men do have to pay for most things. for example, if i couldn't afford to take you to the hotel and we were properly together, i wouldn't go. but i'm traditional like that. you're boyfriend sounds selfish. he should go every fortnight and spend something on you at least.
ireadbooks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd get out now tbh. Yes he is pathetic.
Imagine if you end up pregnant with his baby and then spend the next 18 years chasing him for his contribution for the child...
tehsponge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't want him to pay for everything, I want it to be 50:50, is that so wrong....:confused:
I skimmed your post
Stevedagrunt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what are these events exactly?
Ambs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Perhaps 'pathetic' is a bit harsh; nobody enjoyes being broke, even if it is their own fault. However, I can see where you're coming from and I agree 100% that it isn't fair that you have to pay for everything. It's fine to pay for him every now and then, but only is he does the same - I agree that it should be 50/50. Just do things together that won't cost anything, and if he does want to do something expensive tell him you'll only go if he pays his part.
Camelfan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He should at least pay 50%.
Journeyzap
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, you aren't in the wrong - though maybe next time tell him in the future to bring X amount of money so you don't spring on him by surprise with paying 50/50... He probably thought you were inviting and paying for everything, though by this I am no way saying you are in the wrong - he should put in a little more saving effort...
im so academic,
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why are you still with this guy?
Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He is a pathetic loser.......... you're pathetic too.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Stevedagrunt)
what are these events exactly?
A particular sport
Linzikins
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A particular sport
Gaming? haha

You should have a word with him because that's not right but still if you know he's not going to pay you shouldn't offer to either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise