Do we owe Africans for what we did to their continent? Watch

Sebastian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, I've noticed recently in the news lots of stories about how David Cameron and his government wants to cut down on outside EU immigration and its reminded me of a short film I watched in my sociology class last year when studying what is meant by culture. The short film was about an African tribe and in it I noticed how the tribe lived such a different life from us- a life of simplicity, a life so close to nature not corrupted by money and greed- the husbands had several wives and dozens of children but somehow their way of life made me think of the Garden of Eden.

I imagine Africa to have been once a Garden of Eden before Europeans plundered it of its resources and took its people into slavery.

People often say Africans were backwards before Europeans came so they shouldn't be so upset about slavery and colonisation because in the end they became civilised but I wander if they were better off without us going to their continent; what was called civilisation then, I think, was no more than guns,books, metals,clothes, ships and money instead of exchanging goods and these seem to me to be things that make the world more corrupt and complicated in-contrast to the simplistic way of life the Africans led.

Also the technology Europeans developed when Africans didn't, allowing them to be more civilised someone suggested to me might be because the Europeans needed it and the Africans didn't, being, apparently, well adapted to their continent from the beginning whilst the early Europeans had to embark on the inventing path to adapt to the European continent etc..

It is possible then that Africans would have eventually civilised themselves when they felt the need for better technology but their traumatic history stopped them.

My questions are: why did Europe became so civilised whilst Africa fell behind, whether Africa would have been better off if no Europeans had set foot on the continent, whether we did more damage than good to the continent by going there in the first place and whether because of slavery and colonisation we owe Africans compensation for plundering their continent therefore we shouldn't be stopping them from migrating to the UK or anyway-else in Europe - after all we did go to Africa and take land,slaves and resources etc.

P.S. truly sorry if what I wrote is totally ignorant,unclear and offensive but I'll be glad of your opinions and answers so feel free to post.
Delavie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did you watch about cannibalism in that short film as well
viksta1000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
are you kidding, look at how much press we gave them from The Lion King and Blood Diamond!
marshymarsh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No; I did nothing wrong.
SchadenfreudeDude
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. I've never been to Africa, I haven't done them any harm.
[]D [] []V[] []D
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pfft, no way. If anything, they owe us. Colonisation, whilst bad back then, has modernised Africa. They'd be in a much worse situation now than they would be if we hadn't been there. They should pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.
Stratos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Delavie)
Did you watch about cannibalism in that short film as well
There's no problem with cannibalism.
f00ddude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
we dont owe them jack all, maybe our ancestors do but certainly not us
i dont even care that what they did was wrong, if a black guy came to me and said "hi there, i traced back my ancestors and found out your gr8 gr8 grand father had my gr8 gr8 grandfather as a slave, im purely looking for an apology" i would honestly just tell them to **** off as it has nothing to do with me... or them really

oh and the technology differences was largely due to our colonial wars and wars starting with the romans, War forced us to advance much quicker
Sunday=
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I sort of agree with you about their simple way of life but no I don't think we all them compensation because countries have always invaded each other in the past and then enslaved or mascaraed the population. It's all about survival of the fittest, the Africans weren't as civilised so went able to defend their continent against the Europeans. But that's all in the past. I think it's wrong for Africans to think they can just come here because of what happened centuries ago.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sunday=)
It's all about survival of the fittest, the Africans weren't as civilised so went able to defend their continent against the Europeans.
This is what Mein Kampf was about.

The strong survive, the weak die.

So does this mean if I come round your house, rob your house, rape you, kill your family, that I'm more civilised than you?
Sunday=
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
This is what Mein Kampf was about.

So does this mean if I come round your house, rob your house, rape you, kill your family, that I'm more civilised than you?
Clearly not I merely meant that the Africans were at a disadvantage as they were less advanced.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (163)
39.09%
No - but I will (22)
5.28%
No - I don't want to (30)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed