Edexcel A2 Philosophy and Ethics, UNIT4: Implications Watch

BustyLaRouge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I think there's already a post about this paper, but it's from 3 years ago and I was just wondering how everyone was finding it this year?
I'm really struggling with how to write the essays and what to write them on. My teacher, as much as I love him, hasn't really been very helpful.

How are people revising for this paper? And what are you writing for it? I've made notes and condensed the Westphal article but Donovan and Ayer I'm lost with. If anyone has some advice I'd be really grateful.
Thanks!
fusion12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
donovans passage is the hardest!
Spectrum~
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fusion12345)
donovans passage is the hardest!
I'm supposed to be preparing this for next lesson... I read the first page, looked at how many more pages there were and promptly gave up :L

Glad I'm not the only one having issues with this implications business
LibbyU
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
anyone else doing jamieson, la follette and schneewind? and how are people revising for this exam?
scotzbhoy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ayer really isn't too difficult. Each paragraph essentially says the same thing, which is that religious claims cannot be verified, and hence are meaningless. For links, just talk about the inspiration for his views; logical positivism, the Vienna Circle etc. David Hume and his empiricism is good to mention as well. After that, talk about the people who followed Ayer; criticisms such as Hick/eschatological verification, and Ward/historical verification. From there, you could mention Flew and his falsification principle, and responses to this, such as those of Hare and Mitchell.
Hope this helps!
fusion12345
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by scotzbhoy)
Ayer really isn't too difficult. Each paragraph essentially says the same thing, which is that religious claims cannot be verified, and hence are meaningless. For links, just talk about the inspiration for his views; logical positivism, the Vienna Circle etc. David Hume and his empiricism is good to mention as well. After that, talk about the people who followed Ayer; criticisms such as Hick/eschatological verification, and Ward/historical verification. From there, you could mention Flew and his falsification principle, and responses to this, such as those of Hare and Mitchell.
Hope this helps!
any ideas about donovan, to me his ideas are repeated all over the place, and its just too much text!
lydiafuller69
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi can anyone help me please im ****ting myself about this exam and have no past answer questions to compare my own work to has anyone got any of their own past essays they could help me by sending me them thanks xxx
fusion12345
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
whats comin up!!!!
Fishboy13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What passages have come up so far? I know Donovan was June 2010 but not sure about others.
fusion12345
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They have all come up

Does any1 know what you need overall
To get an A
What's the grade boundary for the whole a level
diamonddust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm struggling with this! Ayer is fairly straightforward but Donavan and Westphal kill me! I don't know anything and I can't even read the damn essays!
fusion12345
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by diamonddust)
I'm struggling with this! Ayer is fairly straightforward but Donavan and Westphal kill me! I don't know anything and I can't even read the damn essays!
Kebabbi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not even doing that anthology, we're doing the Preston/Wainwright/Smart one, for which there are no extra resources ANYWHERE because it's so bloody obscure and our teacher has taught us **** all...

*minor panics*

How are people tackling the second question in the exam? I don't even know what my personal opinion is I'm so confused! haha
scotzbhoy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fusion12345)
any ideas about donovan, to me his ideas are repeated all over the place, and its just too much text!
I find Donovan much more difficult. For me, it would be good to write a paragraph about religious experience, then bring in Ayer and his verification principle/response to R.Es. Again, Hume could be mentioned, as he didn't trust religious experiences. It's also important to write about G. E. Moore and emotivism, as this is strongly linked to the idea of 'just knowing', which is a key theme in the text. This also contrasts with Hume. You could also link in with Dawkins, and how 'just knowing' can lead to extremism and fundamentalism.
This is just what I think about the text though. You should probably get someone more qualified to see whether there is anything different you could bring in.
diamonddust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by scotzbhoy)
I find Donovan much more difficult. For me, it would be good to write a paragraph about religious experience, then bring in Ayer and his verification principle/response to R.Es. Again, Hume could be mentioned, as he didn't trust religious experiences. It's also important to write about G. E. Moore and emotivism, as this is strongly linked to the idea of 'just knowing', which is a key theme in the text. This also contrasts with Hume. You could also link in with Dawkins, and how 'just knowing' can lead to extremism and fundamentalism.
This is just what I think about the text though. You should probably get someone more qualified to see whether there is anything different you could bring in.
Emotivism? Don't you mean Intuitionism? Emotivism is Ayer and Stevenson and isn't really about 'just knowing' because it states moral judgements don't really exist as when we say X is good we are really saying I *feel* X is good, which is subjective and an expression of the speaker's opinions rather than an objective value judgement. Not that you don't already know that but hey, it can't hurt for me to get some extra revision out of this haha!
But yeah, all your points sound good!

I don't quite understand when we're meant to link to all the other scholars in part A. Is it after we've explained all the key words/quotes? And are the scholars and different debates meant to be examples of our points or are they meant to be separate? I really don't understand this paper! My teacher gave us all a structure to follow but following it is just confusing! I can't even revise Implications until I've finished revising Developments but it's all taking too long because I need to revise everything for Implications. Arrgh.
McJc_1992
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im doing the ethics anthology most my teachers think schneewind will come up as the others have come up twice and this one not once?
I have no idea how to revise for it I thought it was just application of developments on the source which is from the anthology and then just continuing this on the rest of the article - relating it to other articles in the anthologies get you the good marks apparently.
jbrown42
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm more worried about Westphal than Ayer or Donovan. Anyone got any tips as to how they understand Westphal?
fusion12345
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
im sure donovan will come up
dont ask me y lol
monkeyonthelake
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm hoping for Ayer and praying to the exam board that it isn't Westphal.

Donovan I could cope with but not half as well as Ayer.
jbrown42
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not sure if you guys have come across this, it's probably been mentioned in your lessons, but I've found this website really useful.

http://intranet.wellingtoncollege.or...ications-paper

Puts the text in plain english and things you should write about if that paragraph came up in the exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads