Politics, Idealistists Vs Realists Watch

f00ddude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
ok im probably going to get a tonne of neg rep for this but ah well

tl:dr, if your not going to read it dont bother posting tl;dr, what does that actually offer to the thread? just exit the thread and find a nice short one that you can manage

there seems to be a very large difference between peoples political views and the protests, and i have started to see a link between these views and whether people are more idealistic, looking for a better world all round, or realists, people who see the governments actions for what they do for the country

for example, the tuitions fees rise is something that millions protested, however it was also something that in all honesty needed to be done, and both Labour and the Tories were going to implement
we were creating a massive deficit here and due to the MASSIVE increase in uni students would have been foolish for any government to ignore without cutting from somewhere else or a large tax rise!
Noone supports the rise however it seems the oposers are more idealistic than realistic, noone has been able to come up with a solution to prevent a rise in fees, even the Lib dems knew this and the only reason they can pledge not to rise fees is due to the fact they never thought they would be in a position of power where they could act on this pledge

the same is with the cuts in general, we have millions protesting all thses cuts, but what are we meant to do then? raise taxes... well thats not smart, we get a large majority of our taxes from the very wealthy, people that can and will move their assets to other countries to avoid this
eg, at 40% tax rate its ok, in line with other countries so the righ stay put
we move this to 50% and it has been sugested that the tax income from this will actually have little impact as those earning millions will quite simply try harder to dodge this tax
so realisticaly we need these cuts and there are very limited places we can gain extra tax income without facing a back lash
so idealisticaly we can tax the crap out of the rich to pay for NHS education and so on
realisticaly, we really can't, as we have seen from the recent tax hike on oil, companies are seriously considering relocating to avoid this

another issue is tax avoidance, this has been imbedded into the law, their are purposeful loopholes and the government has never cracked down on the rich that hard, they have chosen a system where it is very difficult for a wealthy self employed individual to pay less than 30% but has ways they can easily drop their tax rate from the new 50%. the only exception here is the rich who are payed directly by a company, and these are people who can not move their money to avoid tax as they are taxed at point of pay
this is to avoid losing these people and companies to other countries, which is a very real problem especially considering the EUs free movement laws. if i was earning say a million and a new 50% tax came in, i could transfer my wealth fairly easily to a country abroad with a lower tax rate
the UK would then go from getting 40% of my cash, to maybe 20%

the people protesting "the cuts" (a lot will literally just be saying no to the cuts) are the idealists
the people who are just letting it go on are realists
michael321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by f00ddude)
X
Well I agree. But others will complain that "we could cut slower" or "the debt isn't that bad" or some BS like that, and then this thread will turn into "what's so bad about spending out of a recession?"
DeepThought
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sadly, most of the things that HAVE to be done aren't popular... need to save money? - that means reducing expenditure i.e cuts... Not popular, but they have to be done.

Same thing with the tuition fee rises - idealists might like to believe that it's feasible to continue as is, but really - it's not, and implementing the solution is never easy... (or popular)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.86%
No - but I will (46)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.32%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
46.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise