What should I take at A-level? Watch

eihpos95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm in year 11 and I'm not being made to make any decisions yet but just wondering your opinion...

I've decided to take maths, biology and Spanish at AS, but obviously there's space for one more, and idk what to take.

I have two possible ideas for uni; either medicine or law.
If I wanted to go ahead with medicine I would have to take chemistry, it's required not to mention I'd need three science subjects, the other two being biology and maths. (Wouldn't dare take physics, it's awful xD)
The thing with that is that at GCSE I find chemistry really hard; I'm doing separate sciences so I'm doing unit 3 at the minute and for some reason I find it so much harder to understand than say biology. It's kind of putting me off the entire idea of medicine because it would be so much harder at AS/A level.

I'm not entirely sure what you'd have to take for law (aside from obviously Law AS); I thought maybe English but again not sure.

sorry if that's a bit vague, lmfao. I think I *probably* could do chemistry if I put my mind to it but omggg two more years of being completely at sea makes me want to scream, lol.
tuckaa
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally, if youre finding chemistry hard at gcse, it may not be the best route for you do to it at a level/do medicine. I found the step up HUGE obviously i dont represent everyone but lots of people do feel that way.
Templar49
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
English Lit or History for Law, and obviously Chemistry for Medicine (as you already said) are the best options.
Tateco
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Chemistry for medicine, chemistry for law.
123trident
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, because we all have the same personality as you and feel the exact emotions as you and we know the things you like and dislike. Make up you own mind you fool.
heartskippedabeat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You don't need Law A level for Law at uni. A lot of the best/highest up in the ranking universities for law would prefer you not to have it and have a more traditional/'respected' subject instead.
Saying that, if you're really interested in it, you should take it
Clumsy_Chemist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As previously said, don't take law AS if you're doing it at uni. I'd recommend history or maybe english, economics... just something hard where you write essays :P As for medicine, yeah chemistry is right. But if you struggle with gcse chemistry, there is a big step up to AS, and you might struggle. Maybe physics would be better, I don't know. But just to warn you, chemistry is really hard
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (83)
39.52%
No - but I will (9)
4.29%
No - I don't want to (13)
6.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
50%

Watched Threads